Author Topic: project 1108  (Read 9460 times)

Dom

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915992
Re: project 1108
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
This may come as an extra blow on top of your current troubles regarding the modded 126.

Quote from Pistonheads. (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=655749&mid=97587&nmt=Panic%20attack:%20SVA%20and%20the%20IVA)

"The SVA will be replaced by the BIVA / IVA in April of this year.

The actual rules re car building will not change a great deal - the cost of the test will - a figure in excess of £500 has been suggested but not, as far as I know, confirmed.

It has also been reported that the new BIVA / IVA system will be much more rigorously enforced than the present SVA in the sense that those who build or modify cars without getting the V5 details updated or the car tested (where appropriate), will be hit hard by the authorities. It is also rumoured that eventually cars presented for an MOT which are obviously new builds or highly modified will have to be referred to VOSA by the MOT tester if the computer records do not show that the car has been through the IVA / BIVA procedure.

The message is build it right and get it registered properly.

Full details of the new system can be found here:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/vehicledeale..."

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
The way this is going it will be easier/cheaper to register the car on Barbados, trinidad&tobago or some place similar  :o
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/

bis13

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
ive already been down to the local vosa centre and have had a good chat about what i intend to do and have now got a personal advisor if i need to consult him ! they are very helpfull to be honest . the only major factors to be considered are if you change the seat belt geometry it must meet requirements where a strange format is used to work it all out , and there is a four part braking test this is where most cars fail . i have no dosh to do anything at the moment but hopefully i will be in employment again soon so then can continue with my project.

fightingtorque

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »
questions about the f.i.r.e. + 126 gearbox
 who will be able to take the 1st gear noise (larger torque of 1.1)

From experience of running single cylinder utility engines on our dyno........  I think a 4 cylinder 1100 motor might not be so much harder on the transmission than a 2 cylinder 700cc.  There is more total torque delivered by the 4 cylinder but the cyclic peak stresses might not be higher because the power is made across 4 firing events instead of 2.

bis13

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »
thats a positive point you have in favour of our much maligned gearbox the only problem i can find is the weakness in the transfer of power to the wheels, but there is a driveshaft replacement kit using tripods and halfshaft that are available which then take away the need to use those stupid silent blocks.

Eklipze3k

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
Any further progress on this mick? I seem to remember seeing that you were getting started again but could have been mistaken.

I've sourced a 1242 engine and gearbox for the Seicento so will hopefully be starting this project myself fairly soon, though I guess I ought to sort the brakes and suspension on the Sei to accomodate the extra powerrrrr :D

Just a thought but how much work would be involved (bearing in mind I've never dismantled a gearbox) in using the box from the Sei, or at least the gears themselves in the orig 126 box? Part of the reason I want to do this is to make a more stable long distance cruiser so would like a 5th gear if possible.

bis13

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
 your asking if you can fit the sei inards into a 126 box? i cant imagine they are similar so my guess would be no but if you posed this question to a gearbox expert then it may be a different answer!
as for the project i havent yet restarted as i must get my house in order first but it will be restarted soon as i can do all the body welding in the summer.   

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
Any further progress on this mick? I seem to remember seeing that you were getting started again but could have been mistaken.

I've sourced a 1242 engine and gearbox for the Seicento so will hopefully be starting this project myself fairly soon, though I guess I ought to sort the brakes and suspension on the Sei to accomodate the extra powerrrrr :D

Just a thought but how much work would be involved (bearing in mind I've never dismantled a gearbox) in using the box from the Sei, or at least the gears themselves in the orig 126 box? Part of the reason I want to do this is to make a more stable long distance cruiser so would like a 5th gear if possible.

Anything is possible at a price.... Have a look here:

http://www.scuderiatopolino.com

They sell a 600 transaxle which has had the gearbox side cut off and the gearbox from a modern five or six speed fiat welded on. It looks very heath robinson and is some feat of engineering!

You can get srtonget internals for the standard box from Bacci in Italy and its worth looking into having all the components cryogenicly treated to add strength:

http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/

But non of this would be cheap, better to get rolling before puttig your foot down, most damage will be done by drag racing starts from a stand still.

http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Eklipze3k

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
Not a fan of drag racing tbh so not going to be partaking I don't think ;)

Something that was raised on ClubCento when I was asking questions about 3rd party ECU's for ignition, etc:

"the oil pickup sits down near the bottom of the sump, turning the engine that way round, as you accelerate all the oil will travel along the whole length of the sump and move away from the pickup, starving the engine of oil, and same when you brake"

Is this a concern and how do we get around it?

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »
Ridges on the bottom of the sump. I think the Alloy ones have ridges to stop this problem ???

bis13

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »
if you have problems you need a baffled sump , check out hudson henrys modified 500 website and all will be revealed.

Jan-in-UK

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
How is the project going? If going? Did you sort your house yet?
 8) hope you are well, I am a fan of swaps and strong engines in our small cans. Would like to see yours progressing.
Keep us posted mate. All the best.
Such a thing as Fiat 126p will never happen again to this planet... Love it.
www.fsoclub.co.uk

bis13

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
i am getting it sorted out slowly..thanks.

fightingtorque

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 10:40:55 PM »
Not a fan of drag racing tbh so not going to be partaking I don't think ;)

Something that was raised on ClubCento when I was asking questions about 3rd party ECU's for ignition, etc:

"the oil pickup sits down near the bottom of the sump, turning the engine that way round, as you accelerate all the oil will travel along the whole length of the sump and move away from the pickup, starving the engine of oil, and same when you brake"

Is this a concern and how do we get around it?

Person who said that presumably never turns corners in his car?

There is a fair logic but cornering forces tend to be higher, I have had more problems with transverse engines in cornering than inlines in accel/braking.  But as said, if it turns out to be a problem (watch the oil pressure/ oil light) you can baffle it.