Author Topic: paint  (Read 21074 times)

126dave

paint
« on: March 16, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
took BB2 to paint shop today for quote to respray in polski blue........£800+ they quoted,thats with me stripping and basic prep of the shell  :shock: ..........i was hopeing for 500ish........ :roll:
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
paint
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
yer, wouldnt get a pro spray done here for less than 800

shop around i guess? assure them its hardly a large car to respray!

content with blue? any other colours in mind?

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

126dave

paint
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
800 odd ok then? seems steep to me.........yes chris blue,i like that polski blue,and my cromodoras are going to be sunshine yellow  :smt003

126dave

paint
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
must add tho for any lurkers............no engine mods at all on this car....................................just go faster wheels and stickers this time.

mikee

paint
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
How about respraying it yourself? I resprayed my 500 with an appollo electric sprayer (£100) using cellulose. I had not tried spraying before and found it quite easy to get an excellent finish as long as you take your time. My 500 won best fiat at the mitcar show a month later, it just goes to show what can be achieved at home in your garage.
Mike :D

126dave

paint
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »
yes i knw,i have compressor etc,and i guess i could do it.....but thse guys with the ovens etc do a fab job,and i want this 126 to be as close to perfect as i can...i have all the ''right'' bits and bobs ready to builed a really nice sleeper 126,and a perfect paint job would be nice...

BB1 was ok,but it wouldent have stood close inspection..........

Chris Lakin

paint
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »
i know people who swear by their appollo sprayers! i was tempted, and after all if youre stripping it yourself then may as well finish job?

the truth is, you cant beat a proper job, theres no excuse for orange peel!  :lol:

regards

Chris

ciaoflyer

paint
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »
Hi

£800 seems alot, My Bis was preped, welded and painted for £600.  It seems alot cos you've got to prep it yourself.
Ciao4Now

Tomasz

paint
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »
Sounds like a lot to me too.  Think i got a quote for 450 but that was from someone my girlfriend knows.  I would have thought around 500-600 would be about right.
You say no engine mods but you also say sleeper, i thought sleepers have standard looking exteriors but high performance engines??

bis13

paint
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
right heres how paint shops work , you go there and ask for quote if they are interested in doing it you get a fair price , if you go and they dont want it they give a stupid price . if you do the prep yourself they dont like it as thats where the bulk of the money comes from also you are guaranteeing your own finish if it comes out crap you cant argue with them . they are a breed apart find a good shop and your laughing its just finding one! dave think yourself lucky with that quote as i have never paid less than £1600 for a spray job! 800 spots aint a bad price but is this place a proper shop or an insurance approved shop? the later are always difficult to get to do a standard respray but are generally better equiped . also i agree baked cars have such a better finish than diy any day , why not make your own oven it isnt that hard .

anyhow i am going into the spray zone tommorow flatted it today and tommorow shall be matt black day......no more £2k ,2k for me anymore!!!

Chris Lakin

paint
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
:lol:

tommorow shall be matt black day......no more £2k ,2k for me anymore!!!
 :lol:

it must be so satisfying respraying a whole car and geting a half decent finish.

Mick are you canning it tomorow or have you got a compressor?

regards
Chris

bis13

paint
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
none i have a half inch emulsion brush and a blow painting straw..

toz

paint
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 10:39:22 PM »
lol sorry i was just reading the posts,i am a painter/panel beater in the motor trade,yes bis you are more than right,if they dont want to do it then they qoute stupid money,dave £800 for a re-spray isnt to bad.i will give you a big hint,upon collection if you dont think its perfect you dont have to pay ,offer them £400 or less,tell them its not up to scratch,otherwise they will have to do it again unless you are happy with it,keep knocking it back till they get that fed up with you they do it for 3,this is within your rights and see it quite alot,if your not happy dont pay.............................

126dave

paint
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
mmnn.....thanks for the feed back guys....toz,yes a sleeper,i know th meaning but cannot say too much about the new buzz bomb.

mmmnnn.....i might just leave it in primer then,im going to check out some other places,to be honest,id pay a grand if the job was perfect,but knowing this place it will be just average at best......fiat 126's dont rate highly with motor trade people.....................

Chris Lakin

paint
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
is it true primer absorbs water? if it is i wouldnt drive it about like the chavs do over here with there nova's  :lol:

Chris