Author Topic: Engine failure  (Read 6145 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Engine failure
« on: August 17, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
Quite sadly, something catastrophic happened to the car. I went for drive with my Bis this afternoon. Unfortunately, suddenly, the engine made a loud noise, and engine oil started spewing out. On inspection, I could see the chain gear from the top from a crack in the engine. The AA said the chain may have broken, and caused bits of it outward cracking the chain covering. This may have cause severe internal damage. The AA says I need a new engine.

Any advise?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:20:09 PM by Amateb8 »

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Re: Engine failure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
Another photo.

126blackbird

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »
That's not looking good, I think you will need another engine

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »
Can it be overhauled? if so, approximately how much would it cost?

126blackbird

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 06:13:27 PM »
It needs to be stripped down first to see what damage has been done

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
Angelo that is so tragic , I know how much you love that car and the cash you have spent maintaining it. Not being familiar with the Bis engine it is hard for me to see exactly what has failed but as the Blackbird says it will need a strip down to fully assess the damage. Hard thing is to find someone competent in your area that is not going to rip you off.
Is it the crankcase as well as the timing chain cover that is busted?
I see that you have the feelers out for a replacement engine which could well be the way to go as long as you do not get a pup. Good luck mate  :)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »
I am devastated. One thing for sure, I'll get it fixed. However, the cost of repairing it is a bit of a worry.

Now that the car is back home, I did a proper visual check, and crawled underneath to inspect the damage. It seems like it is just the timing chain cover (top of the cover) as per the photo, is damaged/cracked. The crankcase is, as far as I can see, is undamaged.

Proeitti Ltd is the only garage I know that is competent enough. Logistically, close to me (less than 10 mins. drive). Yep, alarmingly pricey, but they do a good job.

I shall take the route that is cost effective. I'd like to keep the original engine if possible. Hopefully, Piotross might have ideas re used or new watercooled engines.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »
I am also baffled by what has just happened. The car has just done 21k miles. I think generally, timing chains are good to about 80k miles or so. I change oil regularly. It had an oil change in June this year. Bad luck I suppose.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 12:19:01 AM »
Hi Angelo, it may not be as bad as you think but you will need to get the timing chain cover off to find out if it’s just the chain or the gears that have broken, You may get away with just replacing them but that’s the only way to find out. It would be ashamed to replace the engine when it might not be necessary and keep the car original, I’m sure that London has some Polish garages that you can check out also drop “sunriserpht” on eBay selling 126 parts  he may know someone who can help you in the London area
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »
Doesn't sound too good.  Where was the oil coming out from?

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:49:44 AM »
Ugly picture... :( If the pistons and the valves have not kissed each other, gotta be an "easy" repair. It can be seen using an endoscope  through the spark plug holes or just remove the head and inspect. Do not buy another engine right away.

I hope that you will have it running sweet shortly.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
I managed to convince the AA to trailer my car to Proeitti Ltd for free. I'll let you know what they find. Watch this space.

Interestingly, the AA technician who arrived to take my car offered to buy my 126 Bis. He is from Poland. He had a good look at the car inside out including the engine, and he said he would buy it off me for £2,500 (my quoted selling price when asked how much I would sell it) as is. He said he could fix cheaply himself as he is a mechanic. He said the 126 engines are so simple to work with. In addition, the Bis, because of its rarity in Poland, is valued northwards of £7k. He has been looking for a nice RHD Bis for quite a while. Mmmmmmmm. It is tempting. I have all his contact details. He sent me an email the same day!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:59:06 PM by Amateb8 »

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:31:07 PM »
Them Polish plumbers...  :D

Are you sure you can't repair it yourself, if it is still repairable and with a little help from your friends?

Xylaquin

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 01:32:24 AM »
If the pistons and the valves have not kissed each other, gotta be an "easy" repair.

Is the 126 an interference engine?

If it's not, then I gotta agree with Pete, could just need a new timing cover and new timing chain fitted.
If it is, and your valves/pistons are damaged, then I'd take the AA guy up on his offer (although his claim of £7k for a BIS I'm very sceptical on)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 06:04:55 AM »
I do not know whether the 126 Bis has an interference engine. As you know, the Bis's engine is old tech based on the vintage 500 Giardinera. I think the new Fiat 500 has an interference engine.