Author Topic: Nudge bars  (Read 2505 times)

wsmitwil

Nudge bars
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »

Just wondering has anyone tried to fit fiat 500 nudge bars to a 126  ::)

Is it possible or do you have to modify them

;D ;D ;D
fiats forever

grubscrew

Re: Nudge bars
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »
If you do decide to get them , fill the tubing up with waxoyl and til the excess out as they rot quickly otherwise, this will prevent an early demise. Mike.
All things Italian.

wsmitwil

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »

Thanks  ;D ;D ;D

It's good seen as they cost €150 you think they should be made better
fiats forever

grubscrew

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
 Well put it this way , stuff made today is not what it used to be, and seeing the poor quality of chromium plating of many items ,you have to do a bit more than just stick them on the car. On my 500`s  I have stainless steel bumpers, as the chrome ones rust quickly,because the plating is thin,thin thin, and they are of mediocre quality.
So when you do it , warm the waxoyl up carefully(as it is flammable) then pour it in one end and slop it about , tip the excess out.Mike.

All things Italian.

guy2yourleft

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Are there re-chroming facilities over there? They are rare over here and it's an expensive process, but you know the chrome quality is excellent.
I didn't do it!  ...unless it was good...  ...even then it's still debatable...

Proud parent of a '67 Ford Mustang, '83 Fiat 126, and '94 Ford Explorer: "Daddy's Lil Girls"

wsmitwil

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
Great advise

There are some re-chroming companys over here, if you know the right people you can get it done cheap

I was expecting to have to get my 126 bumpers re-chromed as they were from ebay but when I collected them really nice condition original 1976 ones really pleased
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:15:34 PM by wsmitwil »
fiats forever

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Every cloud has one...

sam126

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
 :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
The red car looks interesting , early model & the reg no but if you zoom in you can see that it is a badge bar rather than a nudge bar and nobars on the back. I am guessing that the french magazine is showing either a pre-production prototype or an artists impression. The front shape seems to have something of the 850 about it, the wheels look 500L and it is a 500L type front nudge bar which on the 500 bolts into captive nuts on the underside of the front panel that the 126 cars do not have. The date of 1972 is most interesting as Fiat must have made some early cars for the launch in 1973. Would love to turn up a 1972 made car , free road tax  ;D

wsmitwil

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »

They probably won't fit then, interesting though

;D ;D :D
fiats forever

ciaoflyer

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
Hi, I have a 500 nudge bar and it will need modifying.  It fits by bolting to where the bumpers mount, this bit is fine but it also mounts under the front of the car at the end of the bar and on the 126 there is no provision for this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:48:26 PM by ciaoflyer »
Ciao4Now

wsmitwil

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Thanks

On an other note, I've just got a rear view mirror of eBay from a fiat 500 because I like the idea of having the light in the base of the mirror,

stupid question but has anyone got an idea on how it comes apart no screws or anything as its abit rusty and needs painting
fiats forever

wsmitwil

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

On an other note, I've just got a rear view mirror of eBay from a fiat 500 because I like the idea of having the light in the base of the mirror,

stupid question but has anyone got an idea on how it comes apart no screws or anything as its abit rusty and needs painting

The old tradition of hit it with a hammer works, I hope it fits  :P
fiats forever

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »
I renewed the glass in my rear view mirror but can't remember how & as it is covered in snow at the moment I wont be having a look.
Could be a case of "where there is a wsmitwil there is a way"  ;D
As for old chrome I tried a tip from Practical Classics. Crush up a handfull of aluminium (kitchen) foil , dip it in coke or any cola then scrub it over the rusted / pitted areas . The ally foil will clean off surface trust without scratching & it will also shed small particles of ally into the pitted areas . At the same time the phosphoric acid in the coke treats and helps to keep further rust at bay. If you dry it off and get some wax on it you may well be pleased with the results  :D

wsmitwil

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
"where there is a wsmitwil there is a way"

:P love that saying

Great tips, learn something new every day

Thanks
fiats forever