Author Topic: 1990 Bis rolling restoration.  (Read 22475 times)

Henmiester

1990 Bis rolling restoration.
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Hi guys,  got a BIS for my son to have as his first car.  The car is taxed and tested and is in daily use.  Since getting it, we plan on doing a few things to it. However those plans will have to wait until we fix a few issues the car has.  So far I have removed the thermostat, car warms ok and radiator fan kicks in.  Have been trying to sort out the cabin heater for the last few days. Bleed the system several times still no heat. Finally nailed it down to a blocked hose from the cylinder head coolant water junction. The internals had completely corroded, blocking the hose to the heater.  New one order from ricambio.  Will do some photos when it arrives.

Ordered some new HT leads, spark plugs, points, air filter.  Things to do are change engine oil and clean oil filter.

The Carb is leaking slightly so debating weather to buy a gasket kit or new carb.  It has made in Poland on it can't see any other numbers or names.

Once the engine is sorted, will start on the suspension.  The car has a few rust spots, main one being the rear arches under the rear bumpers, otherwise not too bad for a 24 year old car.

Henmiester

Re: 1990 Bis rolling restoration.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
Well that buggers it. Snapped a bolt on the coolant housing on top if the cylinder head. It snapped removing it. Its now at my local garage to see if they can tap it out. Hopefully they can so we can sort out the heater. Anyway changed the spark plugs, ht leads, put in a fuel filter,added some new vacum pipes. Paint engine tin ware and put in a new air filter. Oil, coolant and carb gasket change will have to wait. Might have to add a new battery to the growing list of new parts needed as when we tried to start her. Nothing. All the lights came on but nothing at the starter motor. So im guessing its the battery. On a plus note a totall stranger came up to us while we were working on her and said how nice she was and she wished she had one.

Henmiester

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:03:31 AM »
Been an eventful week. Took the engine and gearbox out. Bought a new cylinder head. Found out the clutch didnt have much life left. Gearbox low on oil. Drive shaft boots had leaked. Couldnt undo the filler bolt so filled up the gearbox from the top plate after draining as much oil as i could. Ended up replacing the clutch. Both driveshaft boots. Gear linkage new oil. Replaced all gaskets on the carb. Got a new starter motor. New battery. Took a while for everything to arrive. Got the gearbox in saturday and engine in on sunday. Wired everything up. Took me about three hours to do which is not bad as i didnt havd any help. Got it all back together. Tried to start her. Only turns over. I have fuel to the carb but wont fire up. Check all the wires. Only getting a weak spark at the plugs. Think my condenser is playing up. Got a new one on its way. Hopefully should be up and running this week. Didnt think i would do this much so soon as only had the car a few weeks. At least the engine and gearbox done. Just the suspension and a bit of rust to sort. Felt sorry for her so gave her a polish and wax. Got rewarded by finding a £20 note under her wheel.

Kowalski

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
as in Johnny126's thread,

small car, long "to do" list. Very interesting read...

keep up the good work!

Henmiester

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
Done a few things to "JEFF" while she has been sat outside the house. Still not running need to sort out the timing.  The previous owner had painted most of the plastic trim on the car with a paint brush, so nothing to loose. Primered all trim with plastic primer and then used satin black spray paint.  Came up ok, much better than before.  Found some rust on the rear corners, which will need sorting.

Henmiester

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »
Still got the back bumper to do but as you can see in the last picture, anything has to be better then this.  Ended up painting all side trim, door handles, door mirrors, front bumper, all wiper blade arms.  Its looking much better.  Took a few days to sort out, only for my son to tell me that he's going to remove all the trim/bumpers and have it all smoothed :o  . 

Henmiester

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
Bought an old bis engine today off ebay to play about with. Appears theres too much play in the crank shaft bearings. Rear seal leaking. Hoping that we can regrind the crank. Do the bores and generally try and get as much hp out of it and then stick it in the car. Hoping for 5hp more. Wow.  The person selling it had a bis which he bought as a shell and has put back on the road. Top work. Have told him about the site. So hopefully he will join and post some pictures of his car and work carried out on here. Simon.

Henmiester

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Just undersealed the underneath of the car and wheel arches. Engines back in. Just waiting for the starter motor and then will be back and running. Polish parts arrived. Two rear suspension arms. Four hubs caps the small black ones. Two rear backing plates for the brakes and a rear arch repair panel to sort out the rust. Things are getting back on track.

Henmiester

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
Fixed the choke mechanism today with a new plastic arm off a cinquecento and made myself a new choke flap from some brass plate. All works as it should do. Just waiting for my starter motor to get fixed. Been two weeks now waiting for it to be reconditioned. Funny how it will only take a few days is turning into a few weeks.

cider

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Hi
Was it much of a job to fit the plastic arm to the choke flaps, as ours need doing before winter arrives
Cheers :D
Pete
Yer tis a proper job cause i see little people

Henmiester

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
It was a bit fidly and that was with the carb off. Cant imagine what it would be like with it on. I just turned the carb on its side and with a small screwdriver pushed it into position.

poxxxy

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
Nice work so far, if you have any extra paint lying around I could probably do with some hehe. I'm thinking about removing the plastic bumpers myself and having them smoothed but just want to get her on the road for now! I need to start playing with the cc700 head I bought to!
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

Henmiester

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
Success. After months of being messed about waiting for my starter motor to be reconditioned. The car finally fired up today. Got a new starter motor from mister auto as recommended on here. Its starts but dies after a few minutes so i suspect the timings slightly out and the carb needs setting up properly. Ive booked it into my local garage to get it running properly. Very happy to be back on the road. Spent a bit of money getting here thought at one point of parking it in the garage and leaving it there to fester. But once it fired up a great big smile appeared on our faces. Couldnt stop laughing. Its all been worth it. Hopefully we can do a few meets and continue to improve it.

Mics126

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »
It sounds like a tipical fiat story. I have owned my air cooled 126 for about four years and its always a fight but i always love the feeling of drivng the car after a long time of fixing it. not that i'm ever wanting it to brake down but its still a tipical fiat no matter how mny new parts i have put on it :P.

You and your son enjoy every second with the car(Jeff).

Mike.

Henmiester

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
Thanks mike. Got the car back today. I had set the float chamber wrong and it was flooding the chamber hence the stalling.  Been out in it all day today. It idles too fast and has a habit of either reving too much when idling or stalling. Just need to sort that out. Finished off undersealing the car and tidying up some cables in the engine bay. Great to have it back on the road. Got looks every where we went. Really happy "jeff" is working again.