Author Topic: Change petrol pump on 652cc  (Read 1829 times)

Neville Minuti

• Subscribers
Change petrol pump on 652cc
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »
Hi
I need to change the petrol pump of my 1987 652cc....i believe it is still the original one...therefore 32 years.  Do I need to put a sort of sealer between the engine, gasket & bakelite? If I need to do a sealer, any particular brand?  All items are new.
Many thanks in anticipation

nalonso

Re: Change petrol pump on 652cc
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
Same for me, even the same year. Yesterday I switched to an electric one (HEP-02A) and I'm happy with the result. As a tip, I put a small rubber between the pump and the body to avoid the vibrations. I just left the old one in place, just in case, and to avoid the plate issue.

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »
Same for me, even the same year. Yesterday I switched to an electric one (HEP-02A) and I'm happy with the result. As a tip, I put a small rubber between the pump and the body to avoid the vibrations. I just left the old one in place, just in case, and to avoid the plate issue.
Where did you wire the electric from? I've got a pump, but not figured this out yet.
Follow me on instagram - https://www.instagram.com/dan126p/

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
I advise fitting a inertia/reset switch just in case of an accident it will shut off the pump and stop any petrol spills, they can be bought on eBay (Rover, BL, etc)
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

nalonso

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
In the motor area, rear left side, where the original mechanical voltage/current regulator was, I have an electronic regulator. In the regulator, I have 2 wires: excitation, that comes from the alternator, and +, that is live when you open the contact with the key. I wired the red wire there, so the pump starts when the contact is set. The black wire is set to GND. The electronic regulator also releases the inner 6mm bolt, because it is smaller than the original, so there I fixed the pump. I strongly suggest to put a fuse inline, just in case.

So: Tank -> filter -> pump -> carb

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
Thanks both. I'd completely forgotten about that diagram Pete.
I'd read on here somewhere that someone had wired theirs up to the sidelight, but it didn't sound good.
Alternator/fuse/relay seems to be the way to go.
Follow me on instagram - https://www.instagram.com/dan126p/