Author Topic: Front Disc Brake Conversion  (Read 39479 times)

Tate

Re: Front Disc Brake Conversion
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
Would anybody have the dimensios for that kind of adapter? I would be intrested of making my own design... I have CAD skills so can make it pretty easily.. Or if someone has needs for some kind of 3D-models or drawings for custom parts.. I can help. Just PM me.
Fiat 126 -73 project
2 x BMW E21

Tate

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Rusty's Uncle gave me the dimensions and I made a copy of a copy :D

Fiat 126 -73 project
2 x BMW E21

Allan

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
Hello again Uncle Rusty,
Are these suitable for a 12 inch steel road wheel. I had some templates made up out of perspex and was using the old 227 discs trimmed down and tipo calipers and brackets slightly modified by cutting out the inner part of the mounting bracket. I was just getting there when I sold car.
I used perspex because it is eay to work with and you can see through it to cut shape and drill in the right places.
Regards
Allan

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
At last! I am a step closer to getting disc brakes for my Bis. Just bought two sets of brackets on ebay for £35 and just ordered two sets of Cinquecento complete callipers (one set for my red one as well). The next step would be to purchase Cinquecento discs and pads. I will also order the banjo bolts and other bits and pieces soon. Should the banjo bolts come with the callipers?

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
I have been told that now that I am converting to disc brakes, I might as well modify my braking system to servo assisted brakes. Is that possible?

Tate

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
I have been told that now that I am converting to disc brakes, I might as well modify my braking system to servo assisted brakes. Is that possible?

Yes it is possible but is there any sense of doing that and what are you going to gain with that? Fiat 126 is pretty light car so as I think there is no need for servo. As you may know it only amplifies the force from brake pedal to master cylinder.

If you would want servo assisted brakes you would need the master cylider and brake servo from some another vehicle which might be quite easy to find (?). Servo works with vacuum so you need to have an additional vacuum pump (common in diesel engine cars) or somehow get enought vacuum from your own engine (long pipe from rear to front).

Maybe someone in here has already made this so they might know more about the details.
Fiat 126 -73 project
2 x BMW E21

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
I now have all the parts I need for the conversion. I thought I might as well replace the wheel bearings. Does anyone know the part number? There are wheel bearing kits as well.

popik81

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
part nr should be stamped on the bearing??

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Checked the Subscribers Section. All the part numbers are there - perfect! But the front bearing part numbers advertised in e.g. Ebay do not coincide with the Fiat part numbers.

linden

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
:D OK every time I mention the Disc Brake Conversion for the 126 I get a load of messages which generally ask two main questions ,
What parts do I need ?
& How do you do the conversion ?
It is great to see the enthusiasm and interest but with my "one finger typing" I just do not have the time to type detailed answers to every message.
So I am going to try and cover it here.
I am talking here about the conversion that will suit any 126 or 500 that has 13" wheels and 126 stub axles.

PARTS REQUIRED

Disc Brake Callipers complete with Carriers , Pads , Fixtures & Fittings from or suitable for the Cinquecento , Seicento or early Punto range.
240mms Fiat discs to suit the above.
2 M10 x 1mms Banjo bolts to suit the calliper thread at the flexi hose inlet.
Disc brake adaptor plates.
6 x M8 plate to stub axle mounting nuts & bolts
8 x M10 spacing washers.
Brake Fluid.
TIME - For a reasonably competent DIY mechanic if the parts are all prepared and you know what you are doing then you could probably do this in about 2 hours or half a day with tea breaks.

PROCEDURE

Jack up car at front end , remove front wheels , remove brake drum , remove hub , disconnect flexi brake hose by removing banjo bolt from back of brake cylinder then undo the three nuts that secure the brake backing plate to the stub axle & remove brake assembly.
Fit disc brake adaptor plates , refit hub , fit 240mms disc using original bolts , bolt carrier (with or without complete calliper assembly) fitting the spacer washers between carrier & adaptor plates , assemble calliper if not already complete , connect flexi hose using M10 x 1mms banjo bolts & copper washers , bleed brakes , refit wheels & have a test drive .
 **-

Hi , i've been searching through the threads on disc conversions but can't find any set ups for 12" wheels. can your method be adapted to suit them.Cheers Dennis  ( my drum brakes don't give you any confidence )

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »
My drums are fine, never had me worried, never had brake fade (a constant problem in most of my old cars). I'm sure the discs are better, but just sorting your drums might be a revelation.
Marc

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
I am finally getting my 126 brakes upgraded to discs. The mechanic says, if I understand him correctly, he needs new banjo bolts to enable him to install the brake pipes to the Cinquecento calipers. Can he use the 126 banjo bolts. The Cinquecento calipers I bought also included the banjo bolts. Can't he use this?

Hopefully, the tripods are next.

bis13

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
yes use the bolts that came with the calipers, tell the mechanic that the car may need to be "tipped" forward slightly to get all the air out of the system. by this i mean either roll the car up on some blocks about the height of a kerb so that the rear wheels are raised and the car leans forward.   

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
According to the mechanic, the Cinquecento banjo bolts will not fit the brake pipes. I can infer, from this, presume, the 126 brake pipes are not compatible with the Cinquecento banjo bolts. He says he needs to buy new banjo bolts. Is it two M10 x 1mms Banjo bolts to suit the calliper thread at the flexi hose inlet as per Rusty's suggested required parts?

bis13

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
oh sorry i thought you had the banjo bolts and pipes already its just a straight swap if you buy all the bits at once i got mine from a scrap yard and got it all in one lot. in this case then you need to get the cinq/punto pipes.