Author Topic: Headlining - Auto insulation/Sound deadening material  (Read 7834 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Re: Headlining - Auto insulation/Sound deadening material
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
Hello. I intend to use adhesive spray to stick the felt fabric onto my orange backing (pictured). Once the adhesive is dry, I will then position the headlining in place before applying the adhesive to check whether it will be good enough to stop the "drumming" sound effect. If the drumming sound is still noticable, I will install the Dynamite Superlite sound deadening tiles before sticking on the headlining.

Chris, what headling backing will you use? A thin wooden board or something similar cut to size? I can send you a headlining template.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
I have been busy this afternoon. I started cutting the felt material to size and used adhesive spray to stick the felt fabric onto the orange backing. So far so good.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
It has been raining all morning and perhaps through the afternoon, so I thought of finishing off my headlining. I am pleased with the finish. It is better than I expected. It has the imprint of the orange backing, so not plain looking. I used the excess felting to cover the other side of the headlining, to enhance the sound proofing qualities of the material. I will try it again in the car with the felting installed to see whether it needs adjusting, when there is a lull in the rain.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:31:45 AM by Amateb8 »

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
Cool 8)
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

nrg19uk

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
dont use normall spary glue as it will get hot and fall off

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270490429119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or a contact adhesive
Neil gargaro

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
Tried the finished product on for size to see whether it needed some adjustment - it did. Pulled the felt off on both sides (length) and added about a centimeter on either side. Did this to ensure the felt material went into the cavity above the door and rear window frames. By the way, the drumming noise has disappeared!

Tried it on for size again - perfect. The excess felt that I added slid into the cavity and in a way ensured that it stayed in place. This was possible because my orange backing was thinner than the original headlining board.

It may be a challenge to intall the headlining after spraying adhesive on both the bare metal roof and headlining as the headlining will stick on contact, so absolutely no room for adjustment. I must position the headlining correctly the first time.

Here are some photos of the headling before applying the adhesive. I think it looks better than my original headlining
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:32:58 AM by Amateb8 »

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »
I bought one of those off the shelf contact adhesives in a spray can. I will see how it performs. I think it will be fine - hopefully. When I did not have a headlining, my roof remained cool to lukewarm even when parked under the sun in the height of summer.

nrg19uk

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
I thought that it would be fine with my dash, I now have to redo because its come unstuck!  :$
Neil gargaro

GTMaster

• Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the helpful thread. I've been trying to find a solution to making one for my own. I had one made using a wooden board (similar to the original) and carpet but upon fitting it broke as it wasn't flexible enough. This orange polyethylene looks like something that can bend well. Have to check and see where i can obtain some and of course the cost. I'll also have to look into what sort of glue would be most appropriate to use on the fabric...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:28:52 PM by GTMaster »
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

GTMaster

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »
3M photo mount looks like a good type as it's heat resistant...

ciaoflyer

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
I went to Brooklands today. I was a bit worried that without a headlining, the car would be like an oven given that the sun was going to be out in all its glory. Amazingly, the bare metal roof interior remained cold even when the car was parked all day in the glaring sun.

Light colours reflect the light so therefore will conduct little heat, if your car was black it would not reflect the light and get hot.
Ciao4Now

KAL SPL

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
You cant beat dynamat !
Aus's cleanest Niki !

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
I did not install the Dynamat but I am sure it will work brilliantly. I will probably use it on my other Bis. I stuck on the felt material on both sides of the orange plastic material. The felt material has sound proofing characteristics, so did not see the need for Dynamat.

Does anyone know what the orange plastic thing is called and where one can buy it?

GTMaster

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
It was mentioned by thepuddlejumper that it is used  for tile floors. I found this:

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Many thanks. I think that is the one! The link is the U.S. manufacturer's website. I have not seen this in the usual stores like Homebase. I'll try going to Wickes or similar.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:46:12 PM by Amateb8 »