Author Topic: Headlining - Auto insulation/Sound deadening material  (Read 7833 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Headlining - Auto insulation/Sound deadening material
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
My headlining is about to give up the ghost. The cloth headlining started to sag in other areas, so not now very presentable. Previously managed to prop it in place using balsa wood across the passenger and driver end but it has worsened. I intend to replace the headlining and sticking new cloth (or vinyl) covering onto the original board (not sure state of original board until I physically remove it) using adhesive spray.

Has anyone tried to install auto insulation/sound deadening/anti vibration material onto the roof area before installing/replacing the headlining? Googled some information on the type of materials available and the likes of Dynamat, Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro came up. It has adhesive backing, so it is easy to install. It looks good but a bit pricey. I was wondering whether anyone has used on of these materials or something similar before.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:54:58 PM by Amateb8 »

Darrell

• facebook profile
Re: Auto insulation/Sound deadening material
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:38:29 PM »
I tried sticking foam to the roof.

When it got hot it all fell down :P

Thats the only concern I guess but dynomat is supposed to be the best [-/
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
In the past i've used underseal :D just slap it on nice and thick and it stops allot of the drumming, its also very cheap [-/
I have also used it as a glue and stuck a good carpet under-felt under the bonnet of old cars, Works very well and never came off ;D   
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Took my headlining off this afternoon. It was a struggle trying to get it out without damaging it and in one piece. I managed to pull about a fifth of the thing out from the rear hatch but it just would not budge further. Got my other half to push the lining from the inside outwards whilst I pull the board from the hatch, still would not budge. In the end, I had to force the thing out, damaging it, BUT it is still in one piece - salvageable. It was so difficult to remove, that I can not imagine putting it back on!

I will need to improvise as not sure I can reuse the original headlining board. I can use the old headlining board as a template. There was a thread using mdf (wrapping this with cloth or vinyl?) or using a piece of carpet. Any more ideas?

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Re: Headlining - Auto insulation/Sound deadening material
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
What struck me was that there was no sound/vibration insulation underneath the headlining. The original headlining was relatively heavy as well.

I am thinking of installing the Dynamat Superlite sound dampening material rather than the original Damplifier Pro which is also very effective but allegedly quite heavy. I might use the Second Skin Audio Luxury Liner Pro on top of the Superlite but cover it up with felt fabric or something.

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
Sounds good to be lightening the car  [-/
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

bis13

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
go even lighter by ripping all the sound deadening stuff out and buying some earplugs.... ;D

Amateb8

• Subscribers

paul555

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
I'm thinking about something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110562026849&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and it depends on thicknes might back it with some thin foam.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
I went to Brooklands today. I was a bit worried that without a headlining, the car would be like an oven given that the sun was going to be out in all its glory. Amazingly, the bare metal roof interior remained cold even when the car was parked all day in the glaring sun.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
Personally I have never bothered, always looked tatty so I have removed from every 126 I have had.

bis13

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
my headlining is a haines manual for a 126.....

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
My workplace is currently being refurbished and I found this discarded material. I am not sure what it is but it is the ideal backing for my headlining. It is flexible and easy to cut to size. Tried it on the car this afternoon and it fits perfectly.

I will go for Paul555's suggestion of using felt fabric. It has good sound insulating qualities and looks attractive. I will probably go for 3mm thickness in light grey or something.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:04:30 PM by Amateb8 »

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »
Is that material used for fitting tiles to floors.

Ralph

chrisrhodesinlbz

• Subscribers
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
Hello Forum members

This has been really useful for me, I have had my Bis for 3 years, but it came without any headlining at all (just a bare metal blue roof), so I never knew what I was missing!

I'm ordering the grey headlining stuff from ebay shown by Amateb8 to see what difference it makes! I'm hoping I can just use the spray adhesive and it will stay there forever (any hints on preparation gratefully recieved)

Thanks

Chris