Author Topic: Our Resto of The Clockwork Orange  (Read 12226 times)

michaelodonnell500

Re: Our Resto of The Clockwork Orange
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »
Not longer, just a wider footing + tighter angle. leaf spring is the same, i have a 126 spring on my 500 and a 500 top wishbone set.
Hows that 500 doing?
Rust does not discriminate

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »
I have started collecting panels for the rebuild, but Frasers 126 seems to be the priority just now.  Hope to start January on the 500.  Also need to replace the lip sections on the gamine.  Looks like a busy time.

Ralph

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »
Started work this weekend fitted the new sunroof it is in just need to do a little fettling and that part is finished, the original roof was damaged by someone jumping on it well thats what I was told.  See photos below

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
Looking very nice !
gonna love this car when its finished .

Steve
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Thats worked out pretty well,
I think I may have to do the same to the second 126 once thats underway!

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
It looks good for the most part, this was the first time I have used a joddler.  Its a great toll but the area over the rear passenger window was the first length to be joddled and I put a crease in the curved area between the gutter and the joddle, therefore need to do a bit of pannel beating to get the shape just right. An extra weekend of work but it will be worth it.

Ralph

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
I've got a joddler in the garage, only used a few times on my friends Daf.
Hadn't thought of using it to do your roof section, but it must make offering up alot easier!!
The only isse with the joddler would be the moisture ingress from the double skin, but if you're seam welding the roof then thats not a problem. Might be a very long term issue, but then all fiats are a long term rust issue!
Did you go for manual or electric sunroof?

Cheers

Michael

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
I went for a manual roof, where would you put all the wires I think there are up to 5 required for the electric roof.  There is also the problem of fitting the 4 drain tubes, the roofs are not watertight and need to be drained.  I seam welded, you need to be careful as it is very easy to warp, small bites at a time is the way to go.  I think I should have spot welded it in to reduce the amount of heat grinding.  I think the moisture problem would be the same for most panel replacement.  It should be OK if sealed with joint sealer and painted.

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
The work goes on, nearly ready for paint.

Ralph

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »
looking good!

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:35 PM »
What a weekend weather great just in time to complete the roof swap.  Spent all day Saturday filling rubbing down and undercoating.  Sunday finish preparing for pain and paint.  Only one problem I got the mix wrong 2pk should have been 2 parts paint, 1 part activator and 20% thinners. I used swapped the thinners and activator ratios, hope it will only take a bit longer to harden off.  Anyway some photos.

Ralph

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »
That's turned out very well, must have taken allot of work, but it looks like a factory option

Eklipze3k

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 08:54:28 AM »
Excellent job Ralph, very impressed :)
I can't see it mentioned above, is that the kind that can tilt up but also slides right back to be fully open?

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
Hi, yes it does tilt as well as opening up full see photos.  I have still to fit the seal and drain pipes, the rear should be easy but the fronts may cause some grief.  I tried to feed a pipe down the front piller but it stops 1/2 way down, just above the corner by the top hinge.  This route worked fine with my 500.  The headlining should go in by the weekend ready for the Scottish Italian Car Day at Craigton Park St Andrews.

Ralph

Eklipze3k

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
Hi, yes it does tilt as well as opening up full see photos.  I have still to fit the seal and drain pipes, the rear should be easy but the fronts may cause some grief.  I tried to feed a pipe down the front piller but it stops 1/2 way down, just above the corner by the top hinge.  This route worked fine with my 500.  The headlining should go in by the weekend ready for the Scottish Italian Car Day at Craigton Park St Andrews.

Ralph

Shameless plug, I love it :D