Author Topic: BIS ELECTRONIC IGNITION FITTED !!! HELP ME PLEASE !!!  (Read 2225 times)

iowdan

BIS ELECTRONIC IGNITION FITTED !!! HELP ME PLEASE !!!
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »

Ok, here we have the full story..........

In my last post I had a story to be told about my dealings with receiving the wrong electronic unit from my BIS  and the disappointment when it never fitted and the thought of having to rebuild it all after ripping it all apart……….
So I surfed the inter net and came across “ignition car parts” and they offer a turn around service from the BIS using the existing housing . Sweet !
So I quickly  boxed my Zelmot unit and sent the unit off to be sorted out and was full of excitement when it all came back. Last weekend it was ready to be fitted, new coil pack included, dizzy unit all cleaned and electronic unit fitted inside and strobe light unit indicator, oh I was happy, this looks good !
So it is one week on and I am sad to say I am still unsure what the hell is going on.
I and going to try to make this a simple as I can:
Plugs out to check spark from new set up. When the ignition is turned on only one good spark is given, turn the key to wind the starter motor….nothing. As the ignition is turned off…one spark is given.

So the following checks were carried out:

1.   All wires checked and installed as they should be as per the fitting diagram.
2.   All car earthing points cleaned and checked.
3.   Fuse board checked and cleaned.
4.   Ignition switch cleaned and checked.

Again same issue, turn the key ignition on, one spark turn the motor over (starter) nothing, turn the ignition off, one spark………

Removed the dizzy from the engine and with the ignition on, spun the unit by hand and BINGO sparks like a fire cracker !! So I tested the live feed 12V and all is good even when turning over, well a very slight drop of 0.5v - 0.75v (is this bad!)…..but as soon as the dizzy unit is placed back into the engine (under load) nothing. So my first thoughts are…bad earth…all checked no issues.
Direct wire put on the positive terminal and connected to the coil unit…ok the ignition lights are on but when I turn the ignition on I get a turn over and she pops into life.
So today, I have checked and rechecked and checked again, hot wired using the main live and fired the car up………removed the direct live wire and it carried on running fine done some tuning and left it sat purring .
So I let it all cool down knowing that I have had it running as it should, timing wise and tick over all good. Tried to restart as you normally would and nothing until I turned off from the starter and the single spark took and bought it into life…..but this time  it was like all of the efforts from my tuning and timing had been thrown out……..back to the start !!

Totally puzzled:
1.   Why am I getting a spark on the ignition click just before the starter is thrown, and one spark as I come off of the starter (one click back).

2.   Why isn’t there enough power to throw the starter and also charge the coil / electronic ignition……..

I am tempted to pay an automotive sparky to see if they can make head or tails out of this but I am hopeful one of you may have the knowledge to help me out…………

I am really wanting to keep this car going but it just seems to be a never ending rework / problem solving. Have I bought into a nightmare BIS life, I am trying to help it out here, ok its not the best car in the world but it deservers to be on the road !!

Any feedback, help, further investigations recommended, rope ! would be greatly received.

Kind regards

Dan    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:       

kev126

• Built not bought
Re: BIS ELECTRONIC IGNITION FITTED !!! HELP ME PLEASE !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Hi Dan, they don't fit the BIS unless modified. THIS was posted on here just today. See the bottom post with the pictures  :)

http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7958.15
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

iowdan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »
I don't understand my new unit i sent away has come back exactly as the same as the images on the modified one as per the post below from today, all be it I have a control box also with a light to show me the timing for the spark.........but I cannot seem to draw enough power when the starter is thrown to also power the ectronic unit, why do I get a spark when the ignition is turned on just befor the starter is thrown and just one spark when the ignition is turned off........ I Don't know what road to go down now to problem solve.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »
It sounds like you haven't used the correct + feed, where are you taking the power from ?
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

iowdan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:03 PM »
I have taken the power from the original power feed to the coil.....Today i towed the car to a very good friend who said he will tinker with it and see if the power line (blue one) is at fault somewhere. If he cannot sort it then I will have admitt defeat. I if all runs well I will post all purchase details and fitting pictures so all BIS owners can fit and enjoy an electronic ignition system off of the shelf !

Fingers crossed !

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
The + on the coil wire is a ballast wire, Which means as soon as it starts passing current it reduces the voltage,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:03:53 AM by Pete126 »
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

iowdan

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »
I have never had the car running so well ! on the button and pushes really well.   :D :D :D :D :D

Pete126, if you have an email I will take some photos over the weekend of the wiring, dizzy cap contents and static light unit etc and forward them on to you as I am rubbish at posting pictures......this is a must for all bis owners and its straight off of the shelf just one wire to be sorted out !

Many thanks to my good friend Mr Jennings who sorted out tuning and ensuring the correct wire was used and fused !

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
Lowdan, I'm a bit confused here! What is it you have fitted? Is it Accuspark? Got a link?

I'm interested :)
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

ciaoflyer

Ciao4Now

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
That price is a bit steep! I think ill stick to having a go at doing the DIY accuspark one :) less than half the cost and probably just as good
1989 Fiat 126 BIS