Author Topic: Scuby 1800cc install  (Read 20132 times)

thepuddlejumper

Scuby 1800cc install
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
I had some free time on Sunday so cut out the adaptor plate for the scuby to 126 gearbox, the trial fit went very well.  I need to get this complete to allow me to fire up the engine.

Ralph

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Scuby 1800cc install
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Wow your fitting a scooby engine to a 126 box?  :o do you think it will take the power?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
Z cars have fitted the same engine into a 500 with a 126 box and Alistair down in OZ has also done this conversion. Look up fiat 500 with Subaru engine on you tube

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=flifU8qnEczEPPf-gLAB&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DaA2ecWsngr0&cd=5&ved=0CDEQtwIwBA&usg=AFQjCNH_Y-effCdlQ8KJxQ5I45MKHl4IHQ

Ralph

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
Great work Ralph will it be ready for RetroRides ;D

Wow your fitting a scooby engine to a 126 box?  :o do you think it will take the power?

Checkout Hudsonhenry's 500 site Engine Swaps

http://www.retro500.com/home.html
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

mwub90

• Youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
Hey there
I too am trying to squeeze an ea81 into a 126, i found my engine on a farm so I'm currently rebuilding it.
I see you're using the 126 clutch, I wanted to use the subaru clutch but couldn't figure out how to mate it to the gearbox. If it's possible and you have them could you please post or send me the blueprints/plans of the boss and plate.
Good luck with the build, hope to see it up and running.

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »
I have a drawing of the boss but the bolt holes for the scuby crank are offset, the PCD is the same for all the holes but there is one  pitch between the holes larger than the rest.  I used the original scuby flywheel to drill the holes in the boss, well to mark the correct positions.  I have opted to use a 5mm aluminium adapter plate, this should be OK but if you want to use a thicker plate them the boss would have to me amended to ensure the starter ring gear matches with the starter.  The clutch is from a panda I think, I will check and post later.  I have taken some more photos and will upload later, as my computer is down.  I am attempting to use the 126 starter, but have been told it may be a bit on the light side so I am trying to get hold of a cinq starter in the hope it is an easy mod to fit. One problem is the bolts which hold the scuby flywheel to the crank are 9mm x 1mm pitch' you will have to have these made as this is not a standard size.  You can use the scuby flywheel but you have to make an adapter plate to suit, look at light aircraft mods, this engine is very popular with home build light aircraft protects.  I made a plywood template for the adapter plate and transfered this to the aluminium , if you would like I can trace the plate.

Ralph

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Hi Ralph , I discovered the other day that m9 x 1mms pitch bolts are used on some BMW engine applications. Might be worth having a chat with your local BMW guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
Rusty thanks I will' I had a local engineering shop machine some m10x1.25 down to m9x1. I am not sure how good the thread is, still to torque them up, only at the set up stage. I have now fitted the starter, but battery flat so I hope to turn over soooon.

Ralph
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:43:55 PM by thepuddlejumper »

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Did some more work at the weekend, finally bolted together and turned over the engine even with a knackered battery.  All seemed to work, now need to fuel up find a good battery and fire it up.  Getting there slowly.  The first photo shows all the M9XImm caps, needed as bolt heads take up too much room.  The second and third show the starter in place prior to bolting engine and gearbox together.

Ralph

dom.kellett

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
How's this going? Have you got any tips or online blueprints for the fitment your using so it's actually in car? I don't think I will struggle too much with that bit of fabrication for gearbox, I know it'll be tricked but I understand that, wanting to do the same so any thoughts of how to make it easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »
Not done a lot, I tried to start it using a 126 starter although it would turn the engine it was sporadic, I burnt out the starter.  Bought a brand new Subaru pickup starter off ebay and set about making an adapter plate which would use both the 126 and Subaru mounts.  Before I amended the new starter I decided to check it worked, after watching fake Britain, it worked fine but turned clockwise the scuby requires an anti-clockwise starter >:( >:( >:( >:( long story but was reimbursed now on the lookout for a starter.  I will update later hopefully with it running.

Ralph
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:01:16 PM by thepuddlejumper »

dom.kellett

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Oh dear, not good to hear, I'm off for a full scooby then not selling any of it until I've sorted my engine

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »
The engine I am using is out of a pickup, it is 1800cc and naturally aspirated.  I f you intend to use  the more modern scuby engines 1.6,1.8,2.0 you will need to get the wiring harness and ecu.  If I make a success of the pickup engine conversion I may go for a 2.0 modern engine.  If you want to go the whole hog you can get reverse diff  internals from Australia I think the company is called scuy gears.  This converts the scuby gearbox to run backwards therefore you can fit scuby engine and gearbox in the 126, Z cars have done this conversion with a 2ltr turbo.

Ralph

dom.kellett

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Is it tricky to fit the newer scooby engines and gearbox to the 126 or not too difficult? I'm wanting to put mx5 subframes on too, thanks for the advice and help, hope to see you out and running soon
Dom

poxxxy

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 11:02:13 PM »
Nice work :). Is there no way to get the starter to turn the other way (no good now but might of been an option)? Perhaps reverse the polarity? Depends on the construction of it I guess!
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90