Author Topic: 126 bis restoration  (Read 1874 times)

johnvine

126 bis restoration
« on: May 02, 2017, 05:39:44 PM »
I bought a 1988 126 bis last November for £350. It is Agean blue and was last on the road in 1997. It had been stored in a concrete garage which is better than outside although it is very rusty especially underneath. As I am retired I have been working most days on it. A major problem was the engine was full of sludge , the cylinder head was cracked, and the pistons were seized in the cylinders. The new head , pistons, gaskets, valve springs ,and various other engine parts cost about £450. So far I have spent over £2000 including the purchase price and I have not finished yet. One thing I have found very useful is a home made rig to turn the car (bare shell) on its side or even upside down. It is just brackets front and rear and scaffold pole A frames each end. I also have a Fiat 127 1978 which is daily transport. One piece of advice. Do not leave petrol in a fuel tank for 20 years! It turns into something resembling thick varnish.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: 126 bis restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Hi John, sounds like you are doing a great job there. My Bis days are long ago but the secret seems to be getting the thermostat arrangement right. I think that the 126 will look great next to a 127. You must put up some pics when you are able :)