Author Topic: spark plugs  (Read 2223 times)

126dave

spark plugs
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:01:14 AM »
hi all,the standard car runs champion L-81 Y's,but,im looking for a better burn /hotter plug,any ideas????.splitfire maybe??
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
Dave, Have you considered trying out the Bosch Super 4 plugs?
http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcPlug4.asp?c=2&d=1

I was contemplating fitting them to my 500 a few years ago but never got around to it. You could only buy them in 4's then.

I fitted them to another car and it did seem to run a lot better, and with a 2 cylinder there should be even more benefit.

126dave

spark plugs
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 12:24:59 PM »
thanks,im just back from my local freindly lucas house,i've found the NGK equivelent to a hotter champion,car is much more responsive when warmed up........but,with all my trails and tribs with the carb mount,i've now found my new soft mounts have fractured :roll: ...................thats whats given me the missfire at 5k+ rpm i bet.
all should be ok with another set and my latest version of front mount though..............................

but driven normaly the hotter plugs feel better :cool:

fiatfsm

spark plugs
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 09:22:03 AM »
It doubt its the fact you are running a hotter plug, its more like the NGKs. They are far better than Champion rubbish, put a Champion in a scooter and they are pants, an NGK and they run great, same with a 126. What the heat of the plug will do is make starting better and stop carbon build up on the plugs. General wisdom is this... round town work and slow running go for a hot plug and then the more fast running and longer distance you should go for cooler plug.
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

126dave

spark plugs
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:34:32 AM »
yes indeedy.....all of my driving is jersey/town work thats why i wanted a hotter plug,also i surmised that the bigger volume of mixture was over whelming the cooler plug and blowing the candle out,its a lot better off idle now,pulling a little cleaner and harder,where as before it bogged a little...still some way to go,with not having a rolling road for set up tho! .......intersting about the champions.....thats wot the parts man said! and he sells them!

at some point we should collate all this hard earned info eh?...