Author Topic: New Disc Brake Conversion Kit to Fiat 126 and BIS  (Read 18993 times)

laners99

Re: New Disc Brake Conversion Kit to Fiat 126 and BIS
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
Hi Piotross, do you know if this kit will work with the standard 12inch wheels on my 99 126p?

Piotross

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
This KIT is only for 13' inch wheels.

Dom.kelltt

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »
What offset is needed for these conversions? The same offset as original or more?

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
The conversion that Piotross shows is the same as the one I settled on as the best and most economical possible conversion which will give you the same wheel alignment as brake drums . Straight swop for the Bis with the 13" wheels but you need to increase the wheel size from 12" on the air cooled cars. I think I covered all the tech stuff in previous posts and if you want to get a set up for 12" wheels it all gets more complicated and expensive.

Piotross

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »
Dom.kelltt the offset is not important. The most important thing is to have a 13' wheels. Usually most of rims 13' have similar offset.

drcdb15

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
And 13" wheels give you a vastly wider range of options for wheels style and which tyres to buy. And generally being a tad wider by an inch or so than the 12", there's probably better road holding though possibly higher fuel consumption if the wheels are heavier (though in my limited experience there's not a lot in it). The standard a/c wheels are 4" width, whereas 13" wheels generally start at 5", and I have seen up to 8" wide advertised.

Dom.kelltt

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
Ok then Thankyou guys! I'm looking to get banded steelies for mine as I think they look good yet still are fairly cheap for a brand new set exactly to my own personal specifications, thanks again.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drcdb15

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
I recognise that I'm probably telling all you old lags out there (like me!) how to suck eggs, but for our younger readers, when it comes to all things tyres, wheels, offsets and ETs, I have always found this site very useful: http://www.alloywheels.com/tyre_calculator 

They started life as Rochford Tyres Ltd, which shows you how old I am  :$  and although the site generally is now all glitzy and modern, I am amused to see the fitting charts are still in the same old font us oldies recognise instantly as being forever associated with the Amstrad PCW series word processors of the 1985-95 era... ah, what wonderful machines they were...

This site is particularly useful in that it not only compares what you propose to fit with what you already have, but it also offers loads of other combinations you may not have thought of. As far as I know, it's the only site to do this but doubtless others will correct me if that's no longer the case.

Most sites simply compare 'proposed' vs 'existing' and tell you the change in rolling diameter etc, but *this* site is very good: http://www.willtheyfit.com/ because it also shows you graphically changes in tyre width, wheel offset and even wheel arch clearance change.

Once you've been through these sites, don't forget that just because a new tyre size is possible in theory that doesn't mean that you can actually *buy* it!!!

So a good place to do a quick check is http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/  Here you can enter the proposed tyre size and immediately you'll get an idea of how widely available that size is: if you get perhaps 3 or 4 tyres listed, that's bad news. A good/popular size with plenty of choice will get you maybe 40 or 50 or more choices, and a price range to match.

You can also see at a glance if the tyres offered are VAN tyres - not so likely at baby Fiat sizes, but I had a classic once with 14" wheels and these days about all you can get in that size is van tyres - but go to 15" and you get a cast of thousands. You'll find the same dramatic increase in choice in going from 12" to 13".

Finally, apart from the obvious physical fit issues of clearing the wheel arches and the disc brakes (which is where we started  ;)) don't forget that changing the overall wheel/tyre diameter will affect your speedo reading, and of course also the car's performance, and although a speedo accuracy is not a UK MoT item afaik, the speedo does have to be fitted and it does have to work, and arguably it will not be considered to "work" if it gives a wrong reading ("wrong" means more than 10% below true speed or any amount above true speed - the MoT testers among us will correct me on that I am sure).

Sorry I've prattled on so long. I'll shut up now.

Rifart

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Yes

I am interested if still a set of brake conversion kita are available both for front and rear axles. By the way, what are the differences of front and rear axles kits ?

Bambino126

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
Do you have any kits left?

I would like one for the Front axle of my 126 bis.

Piotross

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 07:27:06 PM »
Yes I have

Piotross

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
still actual

126NE

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »
Hi there

Are there any disc conversion kits still available???

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
Hi there

Are there any disc conversion kits still available???

I still have some new laser cut adaptor plates  :)