Author Topic: Just drove my first Niki  (Read 9658 times)

paul harbinson.

Gears
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 10:43:57 AM »
The wee engine is mounted on a spring at the front so it will bounce round like a banshee :lol:
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

Android 360

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 01:11:45 AM »
thats insane!

can you tighten down the spring somhow so it doesnt bounce as much, i think that my problem may be due to the engine moving too much..

ive bought new rubbers etc too, we'll see how those go
Member of the Official Jesus Fan Club... FREE MEMBERSHIP!! :heehee:

Im from australia, i have 4 nissan exas, a mazda 626, and a 1989 FSM NIKI.. yeah, way too many..

toz

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »
hi my air cooled had a problem with going in reverse also.just underneath the gear stick under the carpet are 2 bolts you can ajust it backwards or forwards.i pulled mine backwards slightly to allow it to go in reverse easier.this did the job,just remember that even the slightest ajustment makes a big deal.hope this helps

126dave

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 02:09:13 PM »
hi,try this,on that rubber link that joins the remote linkage to the gear box.
the bolts are shouldered,and can wear,(that leaves the nut tight against the shouldr and not tight against the rubber thingy!)so even tho they are tight, when you try for reverse by twisting the shift rod,(as you move your shifter to the right)the gear box end wont move as it should,(have a look while someone trys for reverse,had this prob on my bis,could'nt get reverse at all.
take them out and replace,or fit a small washer in to take up the slack.
hope its as simple as that for you mate. :cool:
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Android 360

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »
hey guys.. ok taken another look tonight..

the linkage seems fine, the rubber is a bit spongy but doesnt seem to be flexing all that much..

ive tried the forward and back adjust ment but it makes no dif..
heres a pic:

that is in fourth gear, see how its right up against that bracket? it cant go into reverse because of that.. so is there any sort of sideways adjustment?? i cant see to find any..

cheers

Im from australia, i have 4 nissan exas, a mazda 626, and a 1989 FSM NIKI.. yeah, way too many..

126dave

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 05:58:35 PM »
mmmmnnnn....Hi,it still looks just like my bis shifter problem,are you sure there is really no movement at those little bolts?,it doesnt need much to defeat reverse selection.....its worth taking them out and replacing with normal nut and bolts or shimming them so the rubber thingy is really clamped to the shift rods........
reverse is selected by twisting,so moving the gearshift back and forth wont do much,we tried that before finding the VERY small amount of play in those bolts.
good luck!
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Android 360

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »
ok, on saturday i will pull it apart and have a play..

ill let u no how it goes

PaulB

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 04:05:26 PM »
If there is not enough sideways movement, it may be that something's been bent (someone leaning hard on the gearstick?)

If any gears are jumping out or hard to locate here's advice I got from the late Brian Rylance and it worked a treat for me:

Slacken the bolt at the gearstick end of the flexible link
Put into reverse gear (as best you can)
Now remove the slack bolt altogether and push the gearbox control rod as far as it will go into the gearbox so that reverse gear is properly selected
Slacken the gearstick screws next to the seat and, holding the gear stick in reverse gear, knock the screws until the gearstick rod lines up with the linakage correctly.  
Tighten the gearstick screws back up, double check alignment again and then refit bolt into linkage. Hopefully all gears will now slect and hold. If they still jump out its probably wear in the gearbox.

If the gearstick rod and linkage won't line up then double check the gearbox mounts.  If they are okay, it points to either the central tunnel being out of place (unlikely) or the rear crossmember of the car is bent, pushing the gearbox forward or back Straightening accurately may be awkard and it might be easier to lengthen the slots for the gearstick screws to give more scope for adjustment.

Hope this helps

Android 360

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 12:45:19 AM »
this is interesting, look between the gearbox and the crossmember, there are chopped up tyres or something held there with zip ties, the gearbox is lying on em..

ive just taken apart the front too and seen why there are so many cracksin the front paint, someones cut some steel out of the front, siliconed some galvo steel on the back then bogged over.. maybe they ran into the back of someone and their towball went thru the front or something? its pretty bad tho..

paul harbinson.

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 08:35:35 AM »
Ok fella,let's start from the beginning change the two rubber block's at the gearbox then,disconnect the linkage at the box and select reverse at the gearbox if that work's then work your way back toward the gear lever.Hope this help's a bit :D .

PaulB

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 11:54:36 AM »
It looks quite negelcted. The gearbox mounts cost very little so a bodger has had the car. Front panels are widely available and often replaced on 126s - so don't worry too much about that. I'd give the car a total 'service' as you don't know what else has been bodged or neglected. The state of the king pins and bearings are often a good indication of the how well the car has been cared for. Obviously, check the brakes have linings etc before tearing around too much.

Android 360

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 11:34:13 PM »
so the rubbers under the box are the actual mounts?

paul harbinson.

Just drove my first Niki
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 07:37:52 AM »
They are indeed if they go it cause's all sort's of trouble including gear selection. :roll: