Author Topic: My search for a 126...  (Read 3632 times)

Steve

My search for a 126...
« on: June 09, 2005, 09:44:02 AM »
I went to look at a 126 on Tuesday.  

It had a full mot and some tax so I guessed it couldn't be too bad.  The owner described it as "in very good condition".  After an 80 mile drive there he reversed it out of the garage and it was rotten!  How it had an mot I've never know.

The wings were full of filler, the leading edge of the bonnet was gone and every panel had rust somewhere.  The scuttle panel was like cheese.

If I was to buy a car in this condition, how easy/difficult are the parts to obtain.  Are wings or repair panels available?  Mechanically the car seemed fine, but it was obviously badly neglected.

I've been searching for a good one in NI for months!   :cry:

slater

• http://www.retro-rides.com
My search for a 126...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 04:39:59 PM »
Same thing happend to me the other day :( went to see a car that was on ebay described as very good condition. When i get there its all rotten, floor, wings, front panel, arches all beyond repair.

New parts arent easy to get hold of. Id never touch a 126 like that, its just not economicly viable.

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
My search for a 126...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 04:50:34 PM »
I dont think parts are that difficult to get, we have ricambio and a few others, but we now have Dajwid a brit living in poland who sends us parts on request and tehy are pennies out there!!

Drove my BIs for the first time today, Taxed it this morning. After an hour i noticed the oil was VERY thin and stank of petrol. The car then began to need the chocke on all the time to stop it conking out when idling, it also guzzels petrol. The car nearly failed MOT on emmisions so i rekon a big problem with carb? it has even had a new float. Any suggestions anyone?? Im dead upset.

Chris :(
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

Maddog

My search for a 126...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:50:08 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Lakin"
Drove my BIs for the first time today, Taxed it this morning. After an hour i noticed the oil was VERY thin and stank of petrol. The car then began to need the chocke on all the time to stop it conking out when idling, it also guzzels petrol. The car nearly failed MOT on emmisions so i rekon a big problem with carb? it has even had a new float. Any suggestions anyone?? Im dead upset.
I'd suggest not running it much or you'll be looking at a shagged engine :( ,

never worked on a BIS, so dont know the specific ins, outs & quirks, but,
first thing is change oil & filter,

the petrol is obviously flooding out the carb and at a guess either going in the crank breather when stopped, or washing down past the rings when running,
    first guess is a worn/sticking needle valve, or if its adjustable its set too low causing the level in the bowl to be too high,
   if theres nowhere to connect a hose on the base of the bowl to check level, you can whip the carb off, remove the bowl and stick it in a clear container(A pint glass used to be perfect for my old mikunis) it should be able to hold a good 2-3 feet head of petrol(use a tube and funnel raised above the carb to measure),

also on some carbs, if the diaphram in accelerator enrichment loop gets a pinhole it can cause strange behaviour like this, but not sure if BIS carb is sophisticated enough to have accel enrichment :lol: ,  check the manual.

or possibly the carb is getting too hot and the fuel inside the bowl is foaming, causing the bowl too sink and petrol to pish out.

and my last guess, it could be the fuel pump is running too high a pressure, forcing fuel in, not sure if the pump will be adjustable, you can check the pressure with a gauge but a new pump is prob cheaper than a fuel pressure guage.

hope my wild guesses are of some help,
best fix would be  sell it and get a proper 126 :wink:

cheers, Richie

126dave

petrol in sump
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 08:01:16 PM »
hi,i reckon this is a classic case of a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm,mechanical pumps can do this,and still get enough fuel to the carb,there was a case on the Fiat forum a week or so back of a guy with a 131 with the same prob,my WW2 willys jeep did it to me once as well.
change the oil and stick a new pump on.
thats my pennys worth Chris!!!
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

fiatfsm

My search for a 126...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 10:00:49 PM »
Bad luck Chris, but the Bis does need regular fixing! Get an aircooled 126 and never look back!
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
My search for a 126...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 10:42:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your quick responce to an urgent case!! I realised that its not good to run the engine becuase it won't get lubricated well due to the dodgy oil. Luckily i have a spare carb so if all else fails i'll get swaped. Such a shame, because i have had to swap my insurance round with my seicento which is a great car, so im without a car for a bit now.

I will get a new fuel pump but my guess is with the carb, at the garage nobody seemed to be able to tune it.

Thanks all, will keep perserveering!! like i have always done with this car.
The car was my mums when i was young and when the head gasket blew about 7 years ago it got stored in our garage untill i was old enough to drive i then wanted it as my first car. but endless problems hampered this, so got a seicento. Then went back to 126, i drove it for the first time today and it was GREAT!! :lol: so fun to drive.

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

dajwid

• Subscribers
Carb
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »
Found a second hand Carb for BIS over here, The guy is sending it to me. He says that it was running recently on a low milage Bis, as soon as it arrives I'll post it to you. A free present.Hope it will be of some use to you. .
Dave