Author Topic: Project Fiat 126 with Supercharged Honda Blackbird power!  (Read 16861 times)

Pete126

• Administrator
Project Fiat 126 with Supercharged Honda Blackbird power!
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:03:05 PM »
This insane project was taken on by Nat and Callum at Retropower a small engineering firm in Leicestershire on Ivans Fiat 126.

Start with a std 126

Remove the body

Design and fabricate the space frame

Pin the running gear and the Supercharged Honda Blackbird engine in

Locate the body on to the space frame

Fabricating the Wheel arch extensions

Wheel arch extensions and running boards tacked on

Simples: Not Quite ;D

This is the project so far, Callum and Nat I'm sure will keep us informed, More info on the build and Photo's on there Web Site http://www.retropower.co.uk/projects_126_Blackbird.htm

Just goes to show what can be achieved when you have the Skills and the Equipment, Great work Guys look forward to seeing the project evolve and finished :P
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

K666STW

• 704cc of pure fury.
Re: Project Fiat 126 with Supercharged Honda Blackbird power!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »
Holy crap that looks like it's gonna be insane!

retropower

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »
Cheers guys   [-/

smallcox

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
That's Mad and I love it. [-/
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

gsxr126

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
Good to see someone doing a bike engine conversion PROPERLY [-/ I take my hat off to you, there has obviously been a lot of thought gone into this one.
The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
Thats's not a bike conversion :P

It's a Honda space framed car! :-X

Pity it spelt the death of a good 126 :(

Fair enough some great workmanship though, should be quick, but not my cup of tea :-
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

gsxr126

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 01:40:24 AM »
Sorry Dazza, but i"ll have to disagree with you on that one :oops: People will still regonise it as a 126 once done. But i will agree that its not everyones cup of tetley, i fear that this will be a dedicated track weapon once done (please correct me if i'm wrong, retropower) and we wont get the opportunity to see it on the street. Pity.
The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
Ive got to disagree  with you as well, I think they are doing a sterling job with it and once completed this car should be fantastic and will help to spread the '126 word'.

This is a project that is well conceived and well executed and should be encouraged rather than slated, there are other projects on this forum that I believe have no chance of being finished or passing a BIVA which could be much more of a waste of a good 126 but but I don't think its my place to knock somebody's project on a 'friendly forum' like this.

Nigel
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ::)

The point I make is that a car that has a completely rotten floor etc may have been a better choice.

I am all for making a 126 better, quicker and doing tasty mods, but then mostly they remain a 126 with perhaps a diferent engine or some bodywork. Mine had rotten wheel arches, so I extended them and I am my own cars worst critic ;)

My advice is if one doesn't want an opinion, critical or not, don't post it on a public forum ::) Friendly yes but an honest opinion....Not my cup of tea, sorry..however as stated respect for the workmanship. Often people express reservations on projects, so what's the bother?

So before others jumps on the bandwagon an have a go, get on with your posative comments and opinions, I am entitled to my own.

Good day :-
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

bis13

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
fack all of ya.... i love it but i would keep the body off, that way my kids could use it as a climbing frame as i do my fastest 0 to 60.... and the body i would keep rabbits in.... so there. top job you blokes if i give you my car would you do it for just the fame? 

retropower

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
shell fab about there - rear corners to do and a couple of small rot repairs.... let the pics say the rest  ;D

retropower

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ::)

The point I make is that a car that has a completely rotten floor etc may have been a better choice.

I am all for making a 126 better, quicker and doing tasty mods, but then mostly they remain a 126 with perhaps a diferent engine or some bodywork. Mine had rotten wheel arches, so I extended them and I am my own cars worst critic ;)

My advice is if one doesn't want an opinion, critical or not, don't post it on a public forum ::) Friendly yes but an honest opinion....Not my cup of tea, sorry..however as stated respect for the workmanship. Often people express reservations on projects, so what's the bother?

So before others jumps on the bandwagon an have a go, get on with your posative comments and opinions, I am entitled to my own.

Good day :-

I think ya arguing with yerself here! all the above comments are just people's opinions same as yours.. no bother, just points of view! lol.

Anyway, back to work.... must find another rare car to cut to bits!!  :D ;) :o

gsxr126

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:54:41 PM »
keep choppin retro, looks awesome. Its the crazy ideas like yours that get our little cars noticed, and i rekon cars like this will increase the value of standard cars eventually.

I initially thought you were going for a track style car, but with the suicides it looks like its leaning abit more to the show car style. What's your intentions once its finished?

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 07:14:13 AM »
Personally I think it looks the 'Mutts nuts'. Nice to see something different if it done as well as this. These guys have done some great cars in the past too.

looking forward to seeing this one finished.

retropower

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
keep choppin retro, looks awesome. Its the crazy ideas like yours that get our little cars noticed, and i rekon cars like this will increase the value of standard cars eventually.

I initially thought you were going for a track style car, but with the suicides it looks like its leaning abit more to the show car style. What's your intentions once its finished?

It's to be a road legal car, but primarily for sprints/hillclimbs  ;)

The suicide doors, aside from looking cool were necessary because the front wheel take up the space the door hinges used to occupy - no way around it other than lengthening wheelbase which we didn't want to do - there are a lot of bike engined 126 hillclimb cars in Italy, but most have longer wheelbase, and loose a bit of their identity as a result.... we wanted to keep it unmistakably 126 but on steroids!!  8)