Author Topic: Disc Brake Update  (Read 4022 times)

RSPSTEVE

Re: Disc Brake Update
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Very nice ! [-/

Ps  want to marry the blond dancer  :P
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »
Dave are the offsets on the discs the same, I had problems with fiat discs and offsets to fit my 500.

Ralph

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »
OK I guess that I will never get the Nobel Prize for Fiat 500/126 Disc Brake Conversions  :D So the facts are that there is no 98 mms PCD disc that will fit a fiat 126/500 hub and give you the exact alignment with the disc into the calliper carrier. The easy conversion for 13" wheels, 240mms disc, requires a 2- 3mms (approx) spacer  between the adaptor plate and carrier mount. Two M10 washers on each bolt work fine for this I have found. That is an easy well used fix but the 240 disc is not suitable for a 12" wheel conversion even when modified due to it's O/D at the hub section. A 227 modified disc is required for the 12" wheel conversion but the alignment problem is reversed which is why the available set ups using all fiat parts have been weakened & modified to overcome this.
I think that I have got it sorted though  [-/

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
Are you putting together a complete disc brake set?

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 01:01:10 PM »
 >:( AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGHHH  :o

Got the set of plates laser cut to try out the 12" wheel set up . My measurements were pretty much spot on . Put the whole assembly together which made a lovely compact disc brake set up but it just catches the wheel.  :oops:
Had it worked then it would have meant that a 12" wheel conversion would have been possible on a DIY basis with just a pair of adaptor plates, slightly modified discs & a pair of small spacer rings along with standard Fiat parts. Not giving up though so I am going to have another go but will now need to carry out a minor mod to the carrier & the outer brake pad. Almost dealing with the thickness of fag papers here  [-/

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
Good luck dave , you can beat it, then get onto the rear disc conversion..lol
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
Yeah good luck on that one.

and yeah we need rears :) I found an adjustable brake balance valve (one mounts in the car) ordered one so i can bias the brake balance to the rear in the wet  :oops:
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Dave recieved the ss brake lines today, realy nice set of lines.

Thanks Ralph

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
 :D Thanks for the good comments guys  [-/
I reckon I have got one more throw of the dice on this one before I try & make RSPSteve happy with a rear conversion.
Due to my experimentation I do now have a couple of adaptor plate & disc combos that will fit the 13" wheels if anyone is interested.

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
Interested Dave  :)
and what was the name of the caliper company who do the coloured ones?
cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:22:24 AM by RSPSTEVE »

Alex

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:48 AM »
me to!

if they're still available?

Jota69

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »
I will take one if you have any available and you will ship to italy

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »
If you have the Adaptor Plates & 13" Wheels then you can do the conversion using standard Cinquecento , Seicento or early Punto Calipers and Discs. So with good used parts you can do a very inexpensive conversion. Quite a few people have done this for well under £100 if you do the job yourself. Apart from the UK I have shipped the Adaptor Plates to a number of other countries. I think it would be crazy to ship a whole kit back to Italy as the shipping alone would probably cost much more than you can source parts locally in Sicily. I still have some adaptor plates left & I stand by my offer to Fiat owners on this forum that I will sell them for £26 including recorded delivery. Shipping airmail to Europe would be £29.00 for plates and postage. I reckon that is not a bad price for the plates as when I started this project about 2 years ago the only ones available , when they were in stock , cost £34 plus shipping from Poland.  :oops:
Bye the way , the Royal Mail are just about to raise all their charges  ::)

Jota69

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 12:55:54 PM »
I wool tale a set of the adaptor plates then and I will get the rest of the parts from the local scrap yards.
I have another question, will I need different brake lines to do this or will my stock ones work?

Do you accept paypal to pay you for the adaptor plates?

Thanks, Jaime

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
Hi Jaime , sensible idea & make sure you get all of the parts that go with the callipers & carriers. The brake line banjo bolt on a standard 500 or 126 has an M10 x 1.25 thead. For the disc brake callipers you need a pair of M10 x 1.00 banjo bolts. Easy to get , I got some in my local motorcycle shop  [-/
Also can I please ask the other guys that have sent a PM to click on my profile and look back at my previous posts because I have written loads on this subject which will pretty much answer all of your questions  :D