Author Topic: Disc Brake Update  (Read 4010 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Disc Brake Update
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »
 :D I have been fairly quiet about this for a while but I finaly got a guy to do a little job of work for me which needed a lathe in order that I could try a 227mms diameter disc . That is the smallest size that Fiat use. I had a test set of adaptor plates made up ages ago but only got to put it all together this morning. I was interested if this set up would fit a 12" rim but if my picture uploads you will see that it is so close but not quite. But I also needed to do this to get the measurements for the smallest size possible without modifying callipers & carriers so may have a 12" wheel design completed quite soon   [-/

Pictures will not work , upload folder full I am told  :oops:

RSPSTEVE

Re: Disc Brake Update
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
Email them to me ,ill see if i can get them up .
Steve
13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
Pics

13 inch-Speedline (abarth) alloys 165 55 13 nankang tyres -lowered front suspension- -roof arial-clear front and side lenses-Restored Britax folding sunroof

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
Hello. How much is a complete set? Does it include the stub axles?

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
The main aim of my project is to design and get made the "special" parts you need for a DIY Disc Brake Kit .
Phase 1 - the 13" wheel conversion has been sorted for some time and is the easiest and cheapest of all , the only "special" part needed is the disc brake adaptor plates that I had made.
Phase 2 - is the intermediate stage shown above (anyone spot the deliberate mistake in the top picture?) "Special" parts needed are the plates , slightly modified disc and a pair of small spacer rings. Slightly more compact than phase 1 but does not fit the 12" wheels no no real advantage.
Phase 3 - I hope will fit the 12" wheels but I will not know until I have put it all together. "Special" parts needed will be a more modified disc , new plate design and the spacer rings.

All the other parts required are standard Fiat  [-/ If phase 3 does not work then I guess there might be a 4 and phase 5 might be looking at rear disc brakes :oops:

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
I think i have all the parts now do do mine , but am going to buy new calipers .
Thanks to rusty for hi little pac of "SPECIAL" parts .
Will post some pics when i actually get round to doing it .
Steve 

gsxr126

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
(anyone spot the deliberate mistake in the top picture?)

The caliper's upside down. Nice work as always Rusty. It seems like the caliper just fouls on the rim by a c..t hair. Just a thought Rusty, it seems that you have a little clearance in the caliper disc slot (on the top at least, cant see the bottom) and where the pads reach the centre of the disc. You could try bringing the caliper bolt holes on the adaptor plate further in to bring the pad further onto the disc, dont know if you'll have any clearance issues at the rear of the caliper on steering lock though.
The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
 ;D It had to be a bloke from down under to spot that the caliper was upside down  [-/
It did not matter in terms of the size/fit test but I reckon I have got it sorted & the drawing is on the board for the final downsize to a 12" wheel set up. You guys will be the first to find out if it works  :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
Just ordered a set of the grooved & drilled discs that are now appearing on eBay to check them out. Will report back when I have looked them over  [-/
Also just got the first pair of reduced diameter / machined down discs for the 12" wheel project. Need to get the test adaptor plates made now so keeping fingers crossed  ::)

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
When are we getting a rear disc conversion rusty??

Steve

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
Hey give me a break man  ;D You can buy the set up from Proietti for £500 plus shipping and or fitting. Hardly worth me bothering really  :oops:

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
lol

thanks for my parcel today , is the dvd a surprise?..lol
Steve

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
DVD , a surprise  ??? ................. Some of it will be  :oops:

Forgot to mention that I bought a pair of Fiat Marea rear callipers for experimental purposes ;D ;D

RSPSTEVE

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
DVD , a surprise  ??? ................. Some of it will be  :oops:

Forgot to mention that I bought a pair of Fiat Marea rear callipers for experimental purposes ;D ;D

Not had a chance to look yet, keep us posted on the rears please .
Steve

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
 :D Drilled & grooved 240mm Cinque discs arrived today so put together a set up and the picture shows it next to the 227mm compact  [-/