Author Topic: Performance Copper Gaskets  (Read 5518 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Performance Copper Gaskets
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »
 :) Following on from the success of the Disc Brake conversion project (Part 1) & as I need to get a head gasket for the 795ccs engine rebuild I had a word with the laser cutting people last week . They cannot do copper but they know a guy who can by water jet (scarey  :oops:) because I am looking at having solid copper gaskets made. Absolutely no idea about cost but the ones available in Italy seem to be about £18 plus carriage so you can probably add on a tenner or so. As only the size of the bore is different to the 652ccs then I thought it might be possible to get some of those made as well & while I am at it I thought I might include the two different exhaust elbow gaskets at the same time . Any interest or comments  ???
Sorry to you water cooled guys , I can't do much for you  :cry:

bis13

Re: Performance Copper Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »
if you are doing them i shall be up for two head gaskets for starters.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
Sorry to you water cooled guys , I can't do much for you  :cry:

Spoil Sport :( anyways the w/c are fast enough with there twinport head and carb LoL :D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:46 PM »
 :) Hey , most days a Raleigh Chopper is far too fast for me but we have to keep pushing back the limits so done all the measuring & the drawings are on the board and going to get a quote for 1 mms (0.040") copper gaskets which I believe will give a tiny increase in compression ratio on standard.
Hard bit is to get these computer cutting guys to program it into their system which is bad news for me as I need a gasket for the 795ccs engine but am putting in the standard 652ccs as well so I am going to give it a try  [-/

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
 :) I have set up a meet with the cutting firm to talk water jet cutting copper gaskets so if anyone other than Mick is interested in high compression 652ccs head gaskets & exhaust elbow gaskets then let me know as it could influence the negotiations. As with the disk brake adaptor plates the cost of the set up for the computer controlled cutting is high for small runs.  [-/

1973/126

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »
 I would be definitely interested least in a couple of sets [-/
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
Rusty count me in for a set.

Ralph

defender90

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
   think these are going to be very exspensive!
Kevan
Radcliffe
Gt.Manchester
Citroen BX TDG (soon to go)
Citroen BX TZD
Land Rover 110 Station Wagon

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »
Count me in for a set, I'll try anything once [-/

Although I'm leaving it alone right now as it isn't broken  :oops:
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
 :) OK so it looks like me & the usual suspects then.  [-/ Had to ring the man today to check out a detail & tried to get a hint on price & the answer was that it was down to the material ie copper so this is unknown territory again but as the ones available in Europe seem to have gone up in price again I am hoping I can beat them on price and the shipping will be a lot less so keeping fingers crossed  ;)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
 :) Prototype set ordered today to check out my draughtsmanship etc. No idea of cost but the guy did not seem too phased by it so keeping my fingers crossed  ;)

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Only just read this thread, if it's not too late, put me down for 2 sets as well
Cheers

Michael
Rust does not discriminate

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
 :( Slow progress with this one , after chasing the laser cut people they have not done anything as they do not have the copper sheet in stock to do a test set. The guy told me that he had a sheet lined up 4' x 2' x 0.9mms but it needed collection in Slough , price £47 which should make a lot of gaskets if it works  :-
So to move it along I said I would go and pay for and pick up the copper sheet so went to sunny Slough this morning . Net result & long story but no copper sheet as the price was now £107 + Vat & that is before computer programing & cutting charges so I bottled it for the moment as the experiment was looking a bit rich at the moment.
However do not despair my friends as this will happen & I have a couple of leads for copper sheet to follow up plus I need to have more chats with the cutting guys  [-/

fightingtorque

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »
Hi , I had not seen that site but looking at the prices for a 4 cylinder gasket, by the time you add on the Vat & Carriage you are looking at about £200 a piece  :oops:
If you divide that by 2 for the 126 2 cylinder motor it still ain't cheap. I am hoping to get a quality item made for much less than that plus include the option of exhaust elbow gaskets as well.
I am going to see the cutting people again tomorrow to discuss options  [-/