Author Topic: heat shields on a tunned engine?  (Read 17561 times)

alapimba

Re: heat shields on a tunned engine?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
today i have drove about 3km with the car.
the smoke is now less than before but i guess something is wrong in the air cowling.
I ear a lot of noises from that area. Can be the fan touching the cowling? If so can i remove remove only the top hat of the cowling and the front and keep the rear? Sounds a good idea? I cant see nothing from the top so i believe that i have to remove everything and check if everything is good inside, right? Anyone can help me with this and give me some tips? Thanks

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
If you run the engine & the fan goes bust then it could be a disaster. Suggest you remove fan belt and start the engine to see if the noise stops but do not run the engine for too long  [-/

alapimba

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
yeah i'll try that tomorrow as i'm not sure if the noise is the normal noise of the engine.
i remeber the car with the original engine was very noisy, so as this one is tunned i'm not sure if it's normal or now. the fan should make absolutly no noise at all? thanks

alapimba

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
problem solved i guess.

sounds good? (the choke is pulled)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e8Q9lNPbPM
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:34:50 PM by alapimba »

alapimba

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »
:D Congratulations!!!  **-

You need a fuel air meter (in a car service for example). If you can't reach the correct mixture, you'll have to play with the jets. No other way to do it "by book" with the new camshaft and exhaust :D

which jets i should use with this combinations?

650cc, 35/75 camshaft, -2mm head, 28/35,7 valves, 4kg flywheel, record monza replica exhaust.

It's a weber 28imb

Thanks

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Have no idea, man. The a/f meter till tell you what is good to use, but for this you need some different close sized jets. I really don't know if you can buy a set from Italy or Poland.

Find and read something about carb adjustment. It's a funny thing. Soon I'll have to tune my Dellorto DHLA 40, so I'm in the same rebus, but for this type of carbs there are all possible jet sizes, anyway I still don't believe that it will be a peace of cake... :)

alapimba

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
It seams i have a problem...

:(

Everything is new... why this happends?

1973/126

Re: heat shields on a tuned engine?
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
 It looks from the photo that one of your push rod tube seals is not in place properly. This would explain the oil leak.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

alapimba

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
yeah i saw that too.. the engine has 1 week and i did about 30km with the car. i saw the engine assembly. i know that the seal were put in place properly. it's posible that it left his place with the engine pressure or something like that? a poor quality seal or even a poor quality push rod tube?

alapimba

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »
Its possible to remove the cowling house keeping the exhaust and distribuitor?

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
I think that you are going to have to remove the cylinder head to sort that out properly. I would doubt that that seal would blow out due to crankcase pressure. Excessive pressure would blow up those tubes and exit via the rocker cover breather. Those tubes and seals are a bit tricky when you refit the head. I tend to lightly oil the seals on assembly and as you lower the head on the studs make sure the tubes locate correctly and that they will turn fairly freely until you start to tighten the head down. Then check that they are locked in place after final tightening. The tubes have bellows like sections that can take a bit of spring but if a tube is not located properly on assembly then it can get squashed and shortened. Also those seals are available different thicknesses , good luck  [-/

alapimba

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
i have the head lowered about 2 or 3mm not sure. and i used standard seals. can be that the reason? too much pressure? on the seals?

or should i have used other kind of tubes?

to fix it i have to remove the distribuitor, cowlings, remove head, remove tubes, replace seals and bolt everything again, right?

1973/126

Re: heat shields on a tuned engine?
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:56 AM »
 Your lowered head could be one of the reasons, or just what Rusty said before.
 On one of my engines where the head is lowered a lot, I actually have shorter push rods and tubes and some alloy shims under the rocker arm.
 You only need to take the distributor cap of to take the thermostat housing off.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
I removed the tin thermostat housing and saw that the leak I had was coming from the rocker cover, so could be the seals are ok.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

alapimba

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
hello

my tubes are the ones without harmonica. which seals i should use? thin or thick?
or should i just dump this tubes and use the oens with harmonica? if i need to go with harmonica i should use standard ones or the tunning ones with spring on the middle?

Thanks