Author Topic: heat shields on a tunned engine?  (Read 17570 times)

smallcox

Re: heat shields on a tunned engine?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Hi,

Well we have all been there, just finished our newly painted engine and looks good with shinny bits then almost straight away oil everywhere and now you feel :cry:

Just read what you done and well shorter push-rod tubes are going to be the solution. we have all skimmed heads and 1-2mm you may just get away with it but if only 1 tube is leaking you may be alraight with a new seal on it. As for those springeeeeee push rod tubes, all there fit for is blowing your trumpet through them :)

check the tube that is leaking to see if the tube is damaged, if not try a new seal, if you have removed more than 1.5-2ish from the head then you can shortern the original tubes and the weld them back together as a solid fix ;D

I see you had load off tuning bits put on the engine, I quess you would be excited about getting it sorted for road use, as for tuning the carb only one way to sort the calibration off that carb "ROLLING ROAD" find a tunner that good with webbers and 1 hour he should dial that buti in

Nice job by the way
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

alapimba

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
hi

after a few months today i took the engine off because it had the oil leak but also a exhaust leak.
the leak was on the manifold but also on the head.... i found that the cylinder head gasket exploded on one side.

now my doubts...
- i have the head too short and it has too much compressiond and the gasket didn't resist?
- the tubes were not the correct ones for this head because were shorter and didn't allowed the head to be tight properly and make this cylinder head gasket exploded?
- which tubes i should use?
or ?

Thanks

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
I think the ones on the right are better although I have never met anyone who has used the ones on the left.

I guess how good they are depends on the strength of the spring and how good the spring is at being in the heat.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

smallcox

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »
Hi,

My friend had the ones on the right, with the springs fitted to beetle engine and they leaked oil all the time. The one on the right looks a better bet BUT what lenght is it because some performance mods require longer tubes and they can only be crushed so much, then you got the problem you started with.

Best thing I would do is shortern your originall one by the same amount that was rewmoved by the cyclinder head.

As they are steal cut the tube about an inch up from one end then remove X amount and have a welder person put them back together again, it's going to be the cheapest option I would imaging, and then you can use original seals on them and they will be strong. ;)
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

alapimba

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
sorry but i got confused.
you mentioned the ones on the right twice eheh.

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
This kind should be the best possible. There are on the net 500/126 projects with Bug's push rod tubes. It seems that they fit straight.

;) 40sec.& 2min.16sec.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWS-sg8ML6w&feature=related

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/67/volkswagen/beetle/push_rods/push_rod_tube.html?3593=122556
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:44:39 AM by DEYAN IYI »

alapimba

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »
humm indeed this seems a good option, do you have more examples of cars using this tubes?

thanks

alapimba

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »

the head gasket of my engine...this was the result

smallcox

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
sorry about that, don't know my right to my right :$

As for that had gasket, looks ok to me :-

alapimba

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
a little update.
the tubes were replaced with the expensive ones.
the person that put the engine in one piece said that it probably were with a really high compression due to the 2mm skimming so we used the 1.8mm head gasket.

This week i did a travel of 320km on highway on monday and today i did the 320km back and the engine seems to run well.

100/110km/h, top was about 115km but the car was not very stable so i didn't tried more, i believe it will reach the 120km/h with this setup.

The only bad thing was a tire that exploded

:o

I'm gonna replace now the 4 tires and later i'll probably replace the 28imb weber, just don't know with what.

anyway.. at the moment my problem seems to still be with the fan. on the back the fan bolts to the dinamo with only a cone shaped washer and a self locking nut? nothing else? no washers no nothing?

Regards

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
Nice burn out ;D :$ If you want, look for 145/70 R12 - they appear better, but also more stability (on theory) - it's 1cm lower and wider. Maybe the best size over original rim 4J12 (but yours are 3,5J12...!? So... Well, sorry about this blah-blah of mine ??? wanted to be helpful). :-X

About the fan, there are tin and plastic washer on both sides, the plastic ones are inside. A friend of mine had problems with the fan, those were missing- he took it like this from Poland (went there by bus just to buy a 126, cos his old one became real crap). Then the fan turned around the base...  :( A friend of ours "cleverly" welded them together (no comment). But of course the bearing died (it was a new one). Then he bought a brand new fan and I took care to put all together. You can see the handmade washers shaped after my original once. The tin is 0,7mm and the plastic (not a hard one) the most suitable you can find in the garage. Well, it was perfect till the next alternator problem. I wasn't around, so that guy "helped" again. For some reason he couldn't put them together, removed the washers on one side, said "you don't need this!" and as a result not that late, he had to weld the brand new fan just like the old one. Now I wanna kill him, but he's a nice guy to drink beer with. ;D If you can imagine, he earns his bread as a car mechanic..., poor cars ??? And there are more "funny" stories... ::)

Regards! :)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:45:34 PM by DEYAN IYI »

GTMaster

• Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
 :o That's the end of that tyre (was it very worn or did it overheat from the high speed?)
On my fan i used a spring washer and a self locking nut with a touch of thread locker glue and tightened it down. Hopefully that won't loosen.... It is important to use all the bits that are there originally (washers etc).
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

alapimba

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »
the tyre was very worn... my bad to use the car in that conditions, thank god nothing bad happend.

damn washers... to put the inner washer i have basicly to remove the engine to then remove the cowling and fan and put the washer and put everything in place again, right? :(

GTMaster

• Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
I was able to take the cowling off without removing the engine. The big hose at the back has to be taken out and the top cover (air filter) has to be removed as well. You should be able to get to all the bolts that hold the cowling onto the engine block (they're all within reach from under the car as well...)
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

alapimba

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »
ops i did it again...
what the f*ck can be wrong in my engine?
is this head that it's already so bad that don't have any solution?