Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 6461 times)

DarkHorseDave

Hello!
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »
Hi, I’m new to the forum, just saying hello.

I’ve decided I’d love to have 126 of my own, I love how cool they look, love that they’re little Italian Fiats, and their simplicity and ease of repair. And the parts are so cheap and readily available.

I can find very little online about the history of all the different 126 models, where’s the best place to read about its history?

I’m in no rush to get one, I’d rather wait for the right one to come along. But if anyone would offer me any advice I’m all ears!
All I’ve decided so far is I’d looking for an air cooled 650cc RHD, rust free original paint with chrome bumpers.

Thanks,
Dave.  :thumbup

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

Dave seems to be a popular name for dark horses - we’ve got one of those already!  ;)

Invest in ‘Fiat 126’ by Alessandro Sannia’, it’s in Italian but the pictures are great and will help you find out more about the history of these wonderful cars! Costs about £20 to £25 but worth every penny!

:thumbup
Every cloud has one...

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
There are a lot of us, Daves and horses I mean  ;)

Ok great thanks I’ll try and get hold of a copy, my Dads side of the family is Italian so he can help me decipher it!

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Every cloud has one...

Xylaquin

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
I can find very little online about the history of all the different 126 models, where’s the best place to read about its history?
Save yourself the money and effort and check out the club's page on 126 history here:
http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?page=page1424

Here are the main models that were produced:
(Year, Name, Engine type and size)

1972 - 1977, Standard, Aircooled 594cc
1977 - 1984, Standard, Aircooled 652cc
1984 - 1994, FL, Aircooled 652cc
1987 - 1992, BIS, Watercooled 704cc
1994 - 1997, EL, Aircooled 652cc
1997 - 2000, ELX, Aircooled 652cc

You also got special editions called Brown, Black, Silver and DeVille.

All I’ve decided so far is I’d looking for an air cooled 650cc RHD, rust free original paint with chrome bumpers.

Good luck waiting for a rust-free original paint one!
There's a completely restored RHD aircooled on eBay, all you'd need to do would be change the bumpers.

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:14:30 PM »
Thanks for the info Xylaquin. I had seen the history page on the club site but what I’m interested in is for example what’s the difference between the Brown, Black, Silver and Deville? I heard the Silver is quite special is it? And we’re there any extra options included with certain models?

I’d wondered whether it would be possible to change plastic bumpers for chrome ones, as new chrome bumpers are so inexpensive! Do the mounting brackets on the chrome bumpers line up with the mounting points for the plastic bumpers? And the shape of the front end of the car never changed slightly between models?

I know it’s asking a lot to hope for a rust free original paint air cooled RHD one, but I’ve seen a few that have sold within the past 12 months, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time and patience. I would consider a restored one if the work was good but I’d definitely prefer original paint.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:29:26 PM by DarkHorseDave »

Xylaquin

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:45:19 PM »
what’s the difference between the Brown, Black, Silver and Deville? I heard the Silver is quite special is it? And we’re there any extra options included with certain models?
This is one for the aircooled boffins!

I’d wondered whether it would be possible to change plastic bumpers for chrome ones, as new chrome bumpers are so inexpensive!
Not sure if you meant inexpensive there, but assuming that you didn't: if you've lurked around long enough you'll know to look to the continent for cheaper parts (especially Poland, a quick glance seems to suggest the going rate is just over £40 for each chrome bumper). Chrome bumpers swaps can definitely be done, and as far as I'm aware the mounting brackets do line up. But again, I'm not the expert as I prefer the plastic bumpers.

And the shape of the front end of the car never changed slightly between models?
It did actually, but not on the mounting parts. The lights on later models are more recessed.

DarkHorseDave

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiat-126-1972-2000-Alessandro-Sannia/dp/8896796059

Ordered  :thumbup
Just in case you hadn't realised this publication is in Italian and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks Chris! Vitelli has mentioned it’s in Italian, I’m hoping my Dad (who’s half Italian) can help me with it. Or I may cheat and use a translator app that translates any text you take a photo of.

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
Not sure if you meant inexpensive there, but assuming that you didn't: if you've lurked around long enough you'll know to look to the continent for cheaper parts (especially Poland, a quick glance seems to suggest the going rate is just over £40 for each chrome bumper). Chrome bumpers swaps can definitely be done, and as far as I'm aware the mounting brackets do line up. But again, I'm not the expert as I prefer the plastic bumpers.

And the shape of the front end of the car never changed slightly between models?
It did actually, but not on the mounting parts. The lights on later models are more recessed.

Thanks for the info! I would definitely consider swapping to chrome bumpers if it requires no modification. I did mean “inexpensive” one place I’d been looking at parts was here where they’re €45 each:
https://www.fiat126ricambi.com/fiat126/Bumpers+and+trims?subcat=Bumpers
Except I had seen somewhere offering them with either 30micron or 45micron chrome plating, for about £30 each, but can’t remember where I saw it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:00:28 PM by DarkHorseDave »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
[quote author=DarkHorseDave link=topic=11545.
Except I had seen somewhere offering them with either 30micron or 45micron chrome plating, for about £30 each, but can’t remember where I saw it.
[/quote]

Axel Gerstl possibly, their prices are generally good with cheap and fast shipping  :)

Gordan

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good luck in your search for the perfect specimen!
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »

Axel Gerstl possibly, their prices are generally good with cheap and fast shipping  :)

That’s the one! Thanks  :thumbup

DarkHorseDave

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 08:50:55 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good luck in your search for the perfect specimen!

Thanks! She’s out there somewhere, waiting...