Author Topic: 126 bis move thermostat  (Read 1729 times)

crig

126 bis move thermostat
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
I've read somewhere that to prevent overheating on my watercooled 704cc you can move the thermostat and there is a kit on Ricambio to do this - I can't find it - any help please ?

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: 126 bis move thermostat
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
I fitted one to mine many years ago but found it was restrcting the water flow around the engine. I later blew the head gasket and I feel the kit contributed to it blowing. In the end after I replaced the gasket I found just removing the thermostat all together was a better idea than relocating it but to be fair if your cooling system is in tip top condition including the two stage fan system then your cooling shouldn't be problem. Remember despite what you read about BIS head gaskets, Fiat spent thousands of hours testing this engine in all extremes and wouldn't release it onto the public if is wasn't a sound system. It's a bit more vunerable than most cars and needs a bit if TLC
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:15:09 AM »
Pretty much what gadge said- the relocation kits are unobtanium now anyways you just cant get them- just remove\ gut the thermostat and ensure your coolant levels and cooling electricals are working tip-top and you'll be good!
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:26:52 AM »
I still have the original kit in my stash of parts if you want to try it? Free if you pay the postage which won't be much (about 5-6 quid) as I will never use it again. You'll need to cut your top hose shorter to fit the kit and you'll also need to cut and blank off the little tiny hose that goes from the top hose down to the old thermostat housing as the kit comes with a different tiny hose that goes there instead.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

126blackbird

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
I've always used a thermostat on mine and never had any problems. I would never recommend removing the whole thermostat but just take the centre out, this way it just restricts the flow, removing the whole thing will run the engine to cold.

crig

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
thanks for advice guys will leave things as they are I think .

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
As Gadge sais.. if the cooling system (coolant/thermostat/radiator fan) is maintained properly, there shouldn't be any problems.

Mines got the standard setup and works perfectly fine.