Author Topic: Hello from Liverpool  (Read 4102 times)

Hutchyp

Hello from Liverpool
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Hi folks,

I don’t own a 126 yet but I’m a classic car lover and currently own a 1972 MGB-GT

As another newbie has mentioned recently (Bielski126 - Hi), I’m looking to become part of the 126 world by buying one in Poland and drive it over. Any advice on this would be great, especially with information on the best route to take, problems encountered etc.

I’ve seen a car I’m interested in and looking to move on soon, but I tend to jump into these things and I’m a little worried about buying a car I’ve not seen and then expect to drive it back to Liverpool

Looking forward to becoming a member/owner!

Gordan

• Subscribers
Re: Hello from Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Best thing you could do is bring it back on a trailer since these cars tend to break down (so i heard  ;D ).

As for buying advice - i think you should avoid the later el- elx models, they seem to have thin metal and tend to rust horribly. On the other hand you should decide if you want a watercooled or aircooled model. The early ones with chrome bumpers and old polski fiat badges are most desirable imo but it all depends on your preferences and budget....

Whatever you decide, good luck!
PLEASE FOLLOW MY PROGRESS ON IG: https://www.instagram.com/fiatbis/

Hutchyp

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks Gordan!

Leaning towards having it brought over as no doubt I'll end up being stuck at the side of the road! Also, I'm not sure how insurance and breakdown cover would work for a non UK car.
The seller has given me a quote of £420 (katowice - Liverpool), which seems fair. Can anyone recommend any haulage companies they've used?

Having a few things done to the car in Poland (new exhaust, interior, etc) so it should be ready to travel in 2-3 weeks

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:00 PM »
Be a devil and drive it back. I did with mine and it was loads of fun. See my post history.
Follow me on instagram - https://www.instagram.com/dan126p/

Toasted

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »
Thanks Gordan!

Leaning towards having it brought over as no doubt I'll end up being stuck at the side of the road! Also, I'm not sure how insurance and breakdown cover would work for a non UK car.
The seller has given me a quote of £420 (katowice - Liverpool), which seems fair. Can anyone recommend any haulage companies they've used?

Having a few things done to the car in Poland (new exhaust, interior, etc) so it should be ready to travel in 2-3 weeks

How are you going about managing this at arms length from the UK?

How easy is it?

Cheers.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
Make sure you check the car personally.
Poles are the masters of bodging cars.
What year is the car?
Do not think having a polish MOT means it’s safe.

Hutchyp

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »
Be a devil and drive it back. I did with mine and it was loads of fun. See my post history.

Just had a quick look through your posts. Did you do the journey in 2 days? If I end up driving, I was considering do it over 4 days.
In terms of insurance, am I right to say you were able to insure it in the UK on the VIN? I was concerned about this, as I assumed they would only let you insure a UK registered car (a catch 22 situation!)

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
Insurance and breakdown was no problem, I was very up front with them about my plans. They would only give 14 days cover if I recall using the VIN.

I picked up the car close to the west border, so 2 days was manageable. Poland is a big country, so depends on your starting point.

Hutchyp

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
Info about the car:

It's a 1983 registered car in black, which seems a rare colour - perhaps not original? The car is currently having work done to it in Poland incl. new exhaust, new seats and interior etc.

I found the car on European car sales website. Just in case forum rules bar me from advertising them, simply google fiat 126p for sale Poland and they'll appear.

I initially contacted the seller in Polish via the site but thankfully he was able to understand English so communication has been excellent. After discussions around it's condition and approx 100 photos viewed, I agreed to buy the car on the condition that certain work was carried out. At this point I was asked to sign a contract and pay a deposit of £100. Before paying, the contract was filled in by me and the seller and photo ID was exchanged (both of us shared our driving licence).

Currently I have agreed for the car to be shipped to Liverpool and once I receive the car, I have three days from receipt to pay the remaining balance or return the car at my own cost.

To be honest, I have rushed into this and I'm clearly taking some risks. It does worry me that I haven't seen the car but also I'm rather an impulsive buyer and usually buy a car that I view - regardless of flaws. Up to now though, my judgement hasn't been too bad with previous purchases but this is probably down to luck more than my good judgement :lol: and life is about being impulsive & taking risks, right? ;)

Hutchyp

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Insurance and breakdown was no problem, I was very up front with them about my plans. They would only give 14 days cover if I recall using the VIN.

I picked up the car close to the west border, so 2 days was manageable. Poland is a big country, so depends on your starting point.

It's near Katowice. The plan would be to spend 2 days getting to Dortmund, 1 day to the ferry terminal (I was thinking Dunkirk to Calais) and 1 day back to Liverpool.

I noticed you went from the Hook of Holland because you were uncertain about Calais - how come?

I'll make a decision in the next week as to whether I brave the drive or not

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
I didn't go to the tunnel because the French were striking at the time. Going to Hook meant driving more UK miles Vs risk of breaking down on the continent.

Good luck fella whatever you decide.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:56:36 PM »
Hi Hutch,  In the past I’ve used P&O north sea ferries from Zeebrugge to Hull it does cost more  but it’s allot easier especially if you’ve been driving all day it’s an overnight sail and you’re straight across on the M62 plus you save driving up from Dover and petrol 😉
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Hutchyp

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »
I'm happy to say I'm now a 126p owner. It was delivered on the back of a wagon on Sunday evening. Having looked over the car briefly, it appears to be in fair condition and just needing a bit of tlc. I'll know more when I can take it to a trusted mechanic. Next steps are to get it registered and spend this weekend cleaning, buffering and polishing the paint.

Hutchyp

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
A few more pics. The oil is from the MGB  😁

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
If the rest of the car is as good as it appears in those pictures you have got a real smasher  :)