Author Topic: Otto Bulloni  (Read 2870 times)

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Otto Bulloni
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
Just found out that my 500 that I've had for nearly 8 years is one of the rare and famous Otto Bulloni models! I've been so engrossed with my 126s that I never thought to check!

;D
Every cloud has one...

drcdb15

Re: Otto Bulloni
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
This is from Coy's Auction House web site, don't know if it's current or of any interest...

In 1965 the Nuova 500 F was introduced as heir to the “D”. The modifications were mostly aesthetic, the most obvious being the removal of the so called “suicide” doors: in 1965 the law was changed in Italy forbidding the manufacturing of cars with door hinges on the rear of the door. The body was also modified in many more ways than meets eye. In reality all that maintained from the “D” was the bonnet and the front of the car. The tank was now larger, its capacity increased to 22 litres, the engine had revised valve timing and delivered 18 hp, the suspension was stiffened and the axle shafts of greater diameter. Even the braking system was enhanced and used bigger brake cylinders. Initially the 500 F used some pieces of the old D, waiting for the introduction of the new parts and also exhausting old stocks of Fiat (which was quite common at the time).

The car we offer here today is a part of that small batch of cars, which are known as the pre F, built from March 1965 to July 1965, this series is different from the latter due to the concealed door hinges that are fixed to the body with 8 bolts. Other important fine details are door handles and window winders constructed of cast aluminium instead of the plastic that was used later, the seats are derived from the D version with supporting rubber bands, headlight rims, front wheels, the support of the front indicators, the grille and hub caps are all aluminium as on the previous version D, and from May 1965 they were being replaced by cheaper material.

[incidentally, shouldn't this thread be moved to Fiat 500 chat rather than 126?  ;)]

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
Thanks for that, it's a 126 forum but 500's are our kissing cousins!  ;D
Every cloud has one...

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:51 PM »
This might be silly but what is special about this model? :D
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
It's a bit geeky but it's one of only a few that had 8 bolts on the door hinges!  ;D
Every cloud has one...

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »
Ah right I see!  8)
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »
"Otto Bulloni" translates as "eight bolts".

I presume the 'standard' Pre-Fs are ordinary 500s, in that they are Fiat badged and have the performance of the 500F, together with the other differences listed in the auction blurb. However, that particular auction (I see now it was sometime in 2015 I think) was for an Abarth version - at least, it was badged as Abarth. It's not clear from the blurb whether the car was tuned at all, or whether it was simply a cosmetic 'go faster stripes' exercise.