Author Topic: Fuel tank woes  (Read 5099 times)

shagmeister

Fuel tank woes
« on: April 16, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
Hi all, finally a place where my lil babes feel welcome, chris checks in the post, still onto my problem.  The fuel sender in the tank of my 1981 Deville is not working, i have a brand new one to fit but now i have a small problem.  I have spent an hour trying to drop the tank BUT i cant get on top, to disconnect the fuel lines and electrical bits to the existing  sender.  I have had the rear seats out looking for an access panel but cant find one.  Help please, ta shagmeister

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Fuel tank woes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 01:01:11 PM »
never done a 126 tank before, but according to the haynes manual, you lift out the rear seat and disconnect the leads from the tank sender unit.
It also mentions that the sealing mastic may have to be cut away before the tank can be released from its mounting flange.
so good luck m8 :D

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Fuel tank woes
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 09:32:34 PM »
thanks shagmeister, that great!!! you will be pleased with what you get.

Regards
Chris Lakin
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

maxlee

• http://www.trampdrift.com
Fuel tank woes
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 12:41:04 AM »
did you suss it out in the end??
TrampDrift its for winners

shagmeister

Fuel tank woes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:25:16 AM »
Hi all, the fuel tank proved to be a little tricky, there is no need to remove the back seat. I had to remove the rear side inner panel to disconnect the filler pipes.  Then it was all under the car to drop the tank.  It was a pain in the arse fishing under the mastic under the rear seat for the fuel tank wires as haynes comic recommends but i did find some interesting corrosion which is now no longer there praise the hammerite!!    actually changing the sender was easy enough, if a little tricky with 3 loose tank studs, but with a cleft stroke with a junior hacksaw and flat bladed screw driver got it sorted.  I did have to hastily redress the next door neighbour when he's offer of the use of he's blow torch "to loosen then studs!!!".  But still there we go, i do now have a working fuel gauge, thanks all for your help, shagmeister

maxlee

• http://www.trampdrift.com
Fuel tank woes
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:56:10 AM »

cool cool good to here u sussed it

blow torch fuel tank whats rong with that picture
TrampDrift its for winners

ianc

• http://www.fiat126.info
Fuel tank woes
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 08:40:39 PM »
I too have a faulty fuel gauge but I don't think I want one that badly - I'll rely on the trip meter  :D

shagmeister

Fuel tank woes
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »
I wouldnt be put off, it is quite an easy job, providing the tank is vaguely empty   :D

PaulB

Fuel tank woes
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 09:03:49 PM »
Hi Shagmeister

Where did you get the fuel sender from and how much? Want one for my 500 to take a return.

Did you ever find the pushrod tubes you were after (panda 30?)? I got some (new) from turbo1sport.

shagmeister

Fuel tank woes
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 10:38:19 PM »
Hi Paul, i got my fuel tank sender from Axel Gerstl in germany, i know its a long way to go but they have always seemed cheaper and easier than alot of the suppliers over here, their web site is http://en.fiat500126.de/body_index.html

And as for the push rod tubes, no i am still searching, i need a set of preferably the bellows type to fit under  the fiat panda 30 head.  The bottom of the head extends over the run of the pushrod tubes unlike the standard head so it uses alot shorter tubes.  Where yours the short ones and if so how much??  take it easy shagmeister

PaulB

Fuel tank woes
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 11:09:04 PM »
Spotted the sender at Axel just after I posted. It'll be going in my 500 where the fuel tank is sensibly placed in front of the driver so I won't have the problems you had.

Got the pushrod tubes from pasquale (turbo1sport) in Italy - he has everything panda 30 and is cheap and very helpful. Mine were the proper panda 30 bellowed short tubes. have been delaying fitting the head, but think I just fried my 126 head today - exhaust disntegrated on motorway and tried to limp on to a service station but bad noises from head forced a tow home. Either the valves or rings are shot.

to find pasquale, look for member turbo1sport on ebay. He'll have everything you need.