Author Topic: green-fly has been delivered!! has electrical problem :~(  (Read 3464 times)

green-fly

green-fly has been delivered!! has electrical problem :~(
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
Hi all,
i will be shortly adding the events of the last two days after getting my '75!, just a quick couple of questions first.

i think it will be something simple but when the ignition is on,  the rear lights 'come on' along with the drivers side indicator (front, side and rear) but they don't flash they just light up !  ??   :cry:

i think it was after i tinkered with the coil- so i need to know the following:..

is it only 1 lead (black) on the coil that goes to the distributor.. on the other terminal i have another black wire/joined with a blue wire and also there is a tiny cylinder that sits on the coil clamp on the sidewall next to the coil (don't know what that is! ??) but i think that was on the same terminal as the blue/black.. is that right?

it baffled me as it was fine before and might not have anything to do with the coil, i don't know.

another thing:
is the gearbox drain plug an allen key? if so what size please

as before thanks in advance!

Brett

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 04:05:57 PM »
Checking the wiring diagram you should have a black lead from the coil to distributor and a blue on which runs to the ignition power.

There should also be another black lead attached to the coil earth, this could be on the coil bracket perhaps? This is the earth for the rear lights and if not connected would give the fault you are describing.

The cylinder thing is the distributor condenser and is conected to the ignition points and the black lead on the coil.

The gearbox drainplug is a 12mm allen key, if you do not have one you can adapt a 12mm bolt to do the job.

Good luck!
 :D

green-fly

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 06:41:38 PM »
thanks cars, i double checked the wiring in the haynes manual at the time and couldn't see how i'd gone wrong..but having said that i hadn't fitted the other black one to earth,so fingers crossed! will be able to check tomorrow.

i renewed the condensor at the distributor but this little cylinder right on the coil bracket is half the size if not smaller than the dis. condensor! it has a curly light blue wire coming off of it!   ??

cheers again..hopefully that'll get me sorted

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »
It sounds like you have a radio suppressor fitted on the coil?

green-fly

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »
ahh..could be, well i don't know, but i have a radio fitted, which terminal should that be on do you think and so i remember is it the black dis. lead on the - or + terminal, i know it was the left hand side anyway! :?

paul harbinson.

Lights.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »
Bret sounds like you have an earthing problem.Make sure all earthing points for lights are clean and tight.Second remove tail lights and check connections at lamps are clean,my old FSM used to suffer the same problems and it turned out to be the left hand lamp cluster.Hope this helps.

Regards Paul Harbinson. :D
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!