Author Topic: Advice on 126 for sale  (Read 2767 times)

MoonUnit

Advice on 126 for sale
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »
Hi, I have just joined the forum as I am looking for a 126 and was hoping to get some advice.

I saw one yesterday:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Fiat-126-De-Ville-RHD-1980-exceptional-condition-only-25k-miles-barn/323771750304?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

The car has had a bare metal respray and generally presents well but there were a few niggles and I was hoping to get some opinions on these:

1) The driver's side window does not work properly. It goes down, but not all the way up. The owner has 'chocked' the glass with wedges to keep the glass up. Is this a simple fix? I suspect the regulator?

2) The nearside front wing and bonnet do not seem to align very well. The bonnet is fine on driver's side, and the wing on the nearside looks OK itself. Are the bonnets adjustable to fix this, or does this imply something more worrying?

3) There is a 'clonk' from something transmission related, when lifting the clutch in 2nd under slight throttle. It showed up first when I freewheeled, then lifted the clutch. As the drive train engaged, I got a thump or clonk from something in the back - sounded like it could be diff, could be engine mount or similar, but I don't know these cars. Any ideas?

4) there is a red light on, on the dashboard. The guy who showed me the car didn't know what it was, thought it might be the alternator. it's next to one of the rocker switches (can't remember which) and is quite big - it's not in the speedo binnacle. Car was low on fuel, maybe fuel warning light?

And finally - does anyone have any thoughts on price? It's more than I would like to pay, but then again, the body is good and the interior looks complete.

Many thanks in advance.

michaelodonnell500

Re: Advice on 126 for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:20:20 AM »
I worry when simple things are overlooked in a restoration. It makes me wonder what else is hiding underneath.

1) The window is probably a simple fix, It should have been put right during the restoration. I would ask the seller to rectify this before handing over any cash.

2) It's difficult to be sure from the photos, but it looks like there is a panel misalign with the NS front wing. It looks as if the wing it too short for the bonnet. Adjusting the bonnet forward will alter the bonnet to front panel alignment.

3) It's unusual for there to be issues with 2nd gear, 1st normally wears much worse.

4) I think that's the handbrake light. The microswitch mounted under the handbrake lever might be sticking.
Rust does not discriminate

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »
From your description, I think that the red light you mention might be the light that comes on when the handbrake is on. The easiest way to check is to take the handbrake off.

I believe that the front bonnet can be adjusted by adjusting the hinges that connect it to the car as long as the alignment is not too far out. It’s hard to get the alignment wrong but I have heard of a couple of botch jobs in my time so be on your guard.

It should be possible to fix the window either through correcting the existing part or fitting a new one. The temporary repair you describe is worrying in that it is at odds with what appears to be the quality of work elsewhere and makes you wonder what else might be not quite right.

The clonk could be the engine mount spring, it could be old and weak, not too expensive to replace if that is the case, hard to tell without hearing it first.

Price is always a tricky question. It looks to be worth £3,000 as a minimum given that it’s original, rare and has fresh paint. It will also be tax and MoT exempt in a couple of years or so. Its been for sale for a while and not sold. If it was me and I wanted it badly enough £3,500 seems a good price but others may have a different view so wait to hear from them. My instinct is that the buyer would probably accept a cash offer of £3,750 to move it on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:26:16 AM by Bar Vitelli »
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
On the NS panel above the wing (small panel with the indicator) The angle is not right in either photo.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
The front end on a 126 is notorious to line up properly. If one things out then nothing else in the area will right. However looking at the photo it looks like the bonnet will move forward a tad which will improve things no end
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »

MoonUnit

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:49:41 AM »
Thanks everyone, really helpful information.

That picture of it posted by dajwid is from 2011, I think, and the car doesn't look like it needs a full bare-metal respray.

Hmm.

I confess to not being a huge fan of the colour, so I'm really dithering about this one.

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
The car looks nice, but I'm not convinced about that panel gap above the front NS wing. The small panel is not parallel with the line of the wing. Also the bonnet looks too far forward already.

Back to my earlier post, missing out on the little details suggests bigger hidden problems or other jobs not done right. Unless you really like it, I would have concerns.

MoonUnit

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
OK. I think I'm going to pass on this one. I'm not keen on the colour, and what with panel gaps, clonking etc and quite a high price, I should keep looking.

Yoshimisumi

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
It's good to see a few a gauge what your must haves are - Good luck with the search!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk