Author Topic: Electrics...  (Read 1736 times)

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Electrics...
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
I drove my favourite blue car to Ilkley and back (50 mile round trip) yesterday and it ran fantastic. I was late coming back so it got dark and I had to put my lights on which caused it to run rough. The traffic was slow and heavy so I switched them off for most of the journey which solved the problem and eventually got back safely. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Every cloud has one...

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Electrics...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
Could be a bad earth? When you switch the lights on it creates a load on the alternator (which in itself can starve an engine of some horsepower) but also as power is being used to power up the lights, vital electricity is being diverted away from the coil slightly so anything less than a good earth could make the coil less effective thus creating a weaker spark causing rough running
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
Thanks, Gadge, that makes sense, I’ll see if my friend can help get it sorted otherwise it will be just daytime driving from now on.   :thumbup
Every cloud has one...

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:18:23 PM »
Thanks, Gadge, we’ve cleaned some of the Earths and it has made a big difference.

Reading through one of your old posts you identify 3 Earths in the front bonnet:

‘One is by the brake reservoir, another adjacent to it on the other wing and the third is by the battery. The two on the inner wings control a lot of the fuse box stuff like lights whilst by the battery is the main earth for the battery. ‘

We can’t find the one by the brake reservoir, do you have a picture of it or a more precise description of where it is? We are keen to find it because although overall performance has improved, the car is still cutting out when slowing down and has the red light flickering on and coming on full once the headlamps are on.

Every cloud has one...

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
It might be because I have a BIS model which may well be different. Basically it's location is a mirror image of where the other one is on the other side. Just in front of the brake resoviour

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
Thanks, Gadge, I’ve had another look this morning and think that I’ve found it, tiny little thing hidden behind the washer bag, I’ll give it a clean and take the car for another test run, I’ll be thrilled to bits if this fixes it, been through a lot for this car.

:thumbup
Every cloud has one...

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
Yes thats it! I forget sometimes that I don't have the bags in mine as that would've been a better way of directing you to it  :P

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
Well, we cleaned the earth’s and it’s made a difference but have come to the conclusion that we have a charging problem. We put a voltometer on the battery and it charges okay but as soon as we put the electrics (lights, indicators and windscreen wipers) on it really struggles.

Our next step is to change the dynamo for one that a friend has reconditioned for me.

Every cloud has one...