Author Topic: 1990 Fiat 126 BIS  (Read 30450 times)

Crusader

1990 Fiat 126 BIS
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:15 AM »
Hi all,

As I mentioned in my Introduction thread I've copied and pasted my build thread from RetroRides so apologies as most of my comments are aimed at a universal multiple car forum, not a forum based solely for the 126. I'll be looking for as much help as possible as I'm totally new to the 126.

So I got the opportunity to go and look at this little Fiat. I travelled up to Norfolk to see this car and fell in love with it immediately. It has an original 14k miles on it, with armfuls of history to back it up. The car had been sitting in a garage for the last 9 years.
Here are the pictures from the EBay advert.

So some money was very quickly exchanged and the little Fiat was loaded straight on to the trailer.

Once I got home I had the chance to look through all the paperwork and I was very happy with just how much history came with it.

So back at the workshop and it was time to start recommissioning the little Fiat. Off came the rear panel to make work on the engine a lot easier.

Jacked it up to axle stands and removed all the wheels and drums, yes drums all round! To inspect the brakes. The news is good, the shoes and drums are good and also the wheel cylinders aren't weeping so I'm happy with them.

Then it was a case of looking at the rear clip which is in great order. It has the original dealer stamps in the plates.

Spark plugs removed, air cleaner out and sump plug removed.

The sump plug is so massive it makes up 25% of the engine.

Then it was a matter of cleaning out the oil filter which is part of the front pulley. It's a centrifugal oil filter set up. It didn't look like it had been cleaned for a long time!

Here you can see it all nicely cleaned out from crap and carbon crud!

Then I decided to drag out the interior, literally took about 10 mins!

As you can see the interior needs a really good clean and tidy. However I will see how it goes as to whether I do a nice retrim.

Hope you like it as much as I do. It's a really cute little motor and surprisingly nippy for two cylinders and 700cc lol!

Anyway, quick update time. I decided to go a bit deeper on the interior. So out came the carpet!

So out it came with like 6 screws and the seatbelt anchors removed. It needs a good cleaning to bring it back up. So I got the Hoover out and gave the floor a good old clean underneath the carpet.

The centre console still needs to come out for the last bit of carpet but it's getting there. So next was on to the wheels and tyres, the original Michelins would be a beautiful touch to keep. However they are cracked and perished. So check out these widea55 low profile rubbers. Boom!!!

Well it's update time for my little BIS but unfortunately it's bad news this time. We've gone two steps forward but taken three backwards. Firstly I looked closely at the sill on the offside rear as it appeared a bit crusty.

So with a bit of poking around revealed a nasty little surprise. However it's not that bad in reality and should be an easy repair.

Then I found a slight problem with the offside track rod end which the rubber boot was split. Which is a massive shame as I know that is now an MOT fail.

Then it was on to the cooling system which needed addressing. This was the water outlet on the top of the lump complete with crusty build up around all the outlets. A theme to be continued.

Then it was time to look at the thermostat and housing as so many people were warning me of the problems they can cause. So I removed the housing from the water pump.

To all those that gave me the warning, I say to you 'THANK YOU' as look at the below pictures which will show you all the crud and crap build up.

So I'm left with a growing list of work on the old BIS but I'd rather get it right first time than have to go back at a later date.

So another update and unfortunately I've found some more problems!
I cleaned up all the limescale crud and anti freeze from around the housings. However this left me with some further problems as you can see below. Thermostat housing.

It's pourus and the aluminium has corroded through all over it.

More rott and corrosion on the temperature sender housing.

So unfortunately they are fit for the scrap pile, I've managed to find the thermostat housing online but not the temperature sender housing.

Next it was on to the air filter housing. I rubbed them all down to clean them up. Then it was on with a layer of high build primer.

I also did the undertray too.

Then it was back to the car itself. I wanted to tackle the fuel lines as they needed some tidying and replacing. So firstly I removed the feed and return lines from the fuel pump.

Next it was time to replace this line from the pump to the carb. It's far too long anyway so it will be good to replace it.

Then I took off the top radiator hose for inspection and I am very glad I did! Here it is on the bench and I found some damage.

Here is a close up view of the hose, it's been rubbing on the ancillary and was almost rubbed clean through the hose.

So that's all going to have to be replaced to do the job properly.

Crusader

Re: 1990 Fiat 126 BIS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »

So you may remember I found that nasty little hole in the offside sill at the rear. I managed to find a brand new replacement outer sill very cheap. So that was ordered. So first job was to mark up the area of crusty metal to cut out.

Then it was out with the cutting disc on the angle grinder and out came the offending area.

So at first I was slightly worried with the inner sill as it looked a little crusty. However once I ran the grinding wheel over the inner sill I was happy that there was literally only one little rusty pin hole on the inner sill. I didn't have my belt sander to fully clean the inner sill but I am happy with the metal beneath.

So next is to use my belt sander on the inner sill. Then cut out the repair panel from the new sill and weld it in place.

So you also may remember that I wanted to replace the fuel pipes as they were aged, tired and crusty. So I got out my 6mm diameter braided fuel line and finishers. A brand new Wix inline fuel filter for that original look.

I got myself a belt sander and cleaned up the area indside the cill on the inner sill. It cleaned up really well and I was pleased that all the rott has been removed.

Next here is the replacement new panel I mentioned in my previous post. Really good quality and very reasonably priced.

So then it was a massive shame to have to cut it up but I marked up the sill and cut out the area that I'm going to need to repair the hole.
I didn't get chance to cut it down to size but you get the idea.

So as usual thanks for looking and all comments greatly appreciated.

This is bang up to date from my other thread. All further updates will now be tailored specifically for the forum and not 'copy and paste'. I am aware that the sump plug is not the right one. It's been 'modified' (badly) at some point but it will be getting repaired and is on the to do list.

Would be great to get some advice and help from other 126 owners from here. Thank you for looking.

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:47:33 PM »
Hi, looks like the car isn't too bad!

A few holes here and there but thats 126's for you  :P

Do you plan on keeping it and driving it?

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Chris
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Crusader

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
Hi Chris,

I'm glad that it doesn't look that bad from another BIS owner. I am definitely planning on keeping and driving it yes. Although I am 6ft4 so maybe not on long journeys!  ;D

So it's time for an update. I had a good look at what was actually holding the engine in there and noticed it was very little. So now the engine bay looks like this!

The missing piece which is now out and ready for a freshen up.

Next I decided that I was going to replace the driver side track rod end that had seen better days. I managed to get a new replacement for very reasonable price.

Then I cracked the nut from the old one that has the split boot.

I also noticed that the grease nipples on the kingpins needed a good clean and re-grease. Which I will do as one of my next jobs. It was on with the new one and rebuilding it back together.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments about the little BIS are welcome.

mintex

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
looking good mate.
What's the plains for the engine, just a degrease or a strip down and paint or something else :)
Dave

Henmiester

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »
Looking good. I think most 126 owners end up at some point taking the engine and gearbox out. Its a right of passage. Greasing the kingpins is a must makes the steering so much better. Liking the post. I should post more pictures of mine. Simon.

sunriser81

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:18 PM »
Hi I really like Your  job quality  :D 

Crusader

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:38 PM »
Mintex - The plan for the engine is a freshen up where needed and a degreaser, clean and paint. There are quite a few bodges on the engine that I'm noticing as I go along now as you'll see below.

Henmiester - Thanks buddy, I certainly feel like I'm breaking my 126 cherry nice and early. I will definitely be greasing the kingpins as I found the nipples whilst fitting the track rod end.

Sunriser81 - Thanks mate, I appreciate you picking up on it.

Ok,

So time for another update. I decided to take my tools to the engine. First thing I found a problem with is the alternator. I'm not even sure it is the right one for a BIS. Perhaps someone could look at it and tell me? I found this as the bottom bolt.

I don't think that big washer is meant to be there. Also lets take a closer look at that bolt shall we.

The big washer has been ground down to fit against the block. The nut on the end has been welded to turn a piece of thread in to a bolt. This clearly isn't OEM.

Next up the starter motor was whipped off.

So then I took off the gearbox as it was only a few bolts and nuts. This was caked in grease and grime.

Since the gearbox is off I might as well have a look at the clutch as I haven't had chance to drive the car up to speed I don't know if it's any good or not. I don't want to put it all back together to find that it slips at speed.

Then I got my de-greaser out and cleaned up the gearbox and bell housing, it came out quite nicely actually.

Then it was time to take off the inlet and carburettor. I have a bit of an issue here that I'm hoping for some advice from you members. Here's the carb off.

I have a problem with the choke butterflies, as you can see here I've closed them with my thumb. However the rod from the linkage doesn't seem to be connected and doesn't operate them. I can't see how it should be connected at this moment in time either.

Here's the rod that I'm talking about that my thumb is on. It flops around at the top end and should surely be connected to the choke flaps.

Plus this seal is split around the carb as you can see.

Off came the exhaust system.

All my nuts, bolts and fastenings separated and sorted. (Sad I know)

The finished article all pretty much stripped down and ready for degreasing and paint.

Would be great to see if anyone can answer some of my questions, as always all comments welcome and appreciated.

Crusader

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:04 PM »
Edit as my phone double posted.

Admin can you please delete this post.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:42:18 PM by Crusader »

dadandlad

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »
All my nuts, bolts and fastenings separated and sorted. (Sad I know)

No methodical

shielsy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:37 AM »
some likes his chinnesse owen n w

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 01:34:53 AM »
I dont have a BIS, I have a few aircooled but same difference :) I have seen much worse!

Chris
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

cider

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 10:33:50 PM »
Hi
Heres a picture of the choke butterfly activator "might just need popping back on"
Yer tis a proper job cause i see little people

poxxxy

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:15:37 PM »
Yeah you have to knock/drift the rod out to gain access to it really (after removing the butterfly flaps!). It should have a half moon piece attached up there. Fiddly but doable. Wouldn't attempt it on the car though :D.
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

Crusader

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »
Dadandlad - Thanks mate! Sums me up really as I like things to go back exactly as they should do.

Shielsy - I LOVE Chinese food. That's a small portion of my stock of trays ;)

Devillechris - Thanks buddy, my little BIS isn't that bad from why I've seen as well now. Starting to learn more about them as I go along.

Cider - That's the kiddy! Thank you for posting that picture as I now know what it looks like the other end. That piece looks new? Are they still available? In case mine has broken.

Poxxxy - Is it a nightmare of a fiddly job to do? Luckily I have the carb removed from the car so that's gonna make it easier.