Author Topic: An unorthodox start ;)  (Read 5779 times)

BHBASS

An unorthodox start ;)
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
Back in my teenage years to early 20s, I had the pleasure of owning three Fiat 126ps. They were simply workhorses and back in those days they were dime a dozen. As I was nearing the finish of my scooter restoration project, I figured would give one real Polish 'volkswagen' a new lease of life and some mechanical and aesthetic justice ;)

As my garage in Poland is currently full of various stuff and there is currently no space for the 'Maluch', I have started the job in a bit of an unusual way. Which is buying a few bits and trims that are usually a tad difficult to get hold of. The story is that I have a very good base in my neighbour's garage and think the purchase should be more or less a formality. I a going for the full chrome look in luminous bright red on modern, but modest 13" alloys. Me and my two mates are ultimately going for three 126ps in red, white and blue, Italian Job style!

So far, I have got hold of these few little artifacts (will need more than one post):

First of all, there is the rare (as in:in good condition) first series front emblem, as well as the right behind the door panel (passenger's) 'Fiat licence' emblem. The third pic shows the voltmeter/engine thermometer (switchable functions) and the fourth a vacuometer for the serial carburetor with LED indicated voltmeter function. The latter I have got brand new, boxed.;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:59:33 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

Re: An unorthodox start ;)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
...continued ;)

The first pic shows the Polish rev counter, works with 2 or 4 cylinder engines. The next one is the first series fuel cap and bonnet lock. Third pic shows the oil dipstick to work with that thermometer thingy from the previous post. And last, but not least, the beautiful Polish WESEM yellow fog lights. Such a pity they no longer allow the yellow bulbs in the headlights. Will probably still buy a couple of these, just for pics  :)

Found out that I can actually have the yellow bulbs if I register it as a classic car. Fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:54:16 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
...and here is a few 'me' bits: the steering wheel to go with the wooden gear knob and vintage aftermarket seats, these will be reupholstered. So will be the doors and the dashboard. We are actually considering buying an appropriate sewing machine fo making custom upholstery, not just for the 126 ;)

There's also the engine start button, hopefully it will fit into the screenwash pump space nicely. And just to fill the post with 4 photos, a double lighter socket for all them satnavs and other stuff. Good thing these horrible rubber caps just come off  :D

Yes, I know it looks a bit like building one's own Bond Aston Martin model from random bits received through the post, but I am intending to make space in the garage around Easter, get the base and get cracking  8)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:32:23 AM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:17 PM »
double post, pls delete, sorry  ::)

AvB

• Subscriber VIP+
    • Club 126UK
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 01:11:44 AM »
...continued ;)

The first pic shows the Polish rev counter, works with 2 or 4 cylinder engines. The next one is the first series fuel cap and bonnet lock. Third pic shows the oil dipstick to work with that thermometer thingy from the previous post. And last, but not least, the beautiful Polish WESEM yellow fog lights. Such a pity they no longer allow the yellow bulbs in the headlights. Will probably still buy a couple of these, just for pics  :)

Oh man ... what would i give for a couple of those yellow fog lights!!! , really looking forward of buying them :D

BHBASS

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:34 AM »
They are available on manufacturer's website for about 70 euro a pair, they also make them in 'natural' and blue (available on request) colour varieties. Think the postage to Cuba may be a bit steep, but hey, what can you do ;)

Loving your work, by the way. I remember reading an article in some youth magazine in the '80s that 126ps were reasonably popular in Cuba, thanks to the Eastern Bloc links of back then. Bet the parts are gold dust out there!

Cuba is on the my list of places to visit too! With the 126 project and a little bits to do around the the house, I doubt it will be this year or the next though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:22:51 AM by BHBASS »

AvB

• Subscriber VIP+
    • Club 126UK
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
They are available on manufacturer's website for about 70 euro a pair, they also make them in 'natural' and blue (available on request) colour varieties. Think the postage to Cuba may be a bit steep, but hey, what can you do ;)

Loving your work, by the way. I remember reading an article in some youth magazine in the '80s that 126ps were reasonably popular in Cuba, thanks to the Eastern Bloc links of back then. Bet the parts are gold dust out there!

Cuba is on the my list of places to visit too! With the 126 project and a little bits to do around the the house, I doubt it will be this year or the next though.

Ill have them shipped to my fathers house in Spain, then he will bring them to me :D

And yes, 126P's are still very popular among cuban people, every time i got out i see a lot of them still rolling in the streets :D .

If you are coming to Havana, as i said to other club Members, let me know and ill give you a free tour :), of course, in my 126!!  8)

Cheers,

BHBASS

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
That would surely be quite something ;)

Been a busy boy today and I have managed to get hold of some illuminated switches for the ST dashboard. These were meant for another Polish car, but their looks and size are exactly the same. Illuminated in amber, should be a nice touch in the middle.

Planning to fill all four slots: headlights, hazards, heated rear windscreen and the heater booster fan. Yep. Came across a brilliant mod which boosts the airflow from the engine by using smartly mounted fan which you normally find in the FL model's boot. It fits in that spare space right of the engine bay, see pic. Apparently, it does not restrict the normal 'fanless' airflow, so the heating works fine with and without it.

This left me with the need to find an appropriate pair of switches for the front and rear foglights. Played with the idea of utilising a double switch from another car and some Honda (as well as Rover's) ones looked fairly promising. But in the end, I went for a couple of very basic black switches with green and yellow LED light in them (see pics). They are fairly similar size to the factory ones and should blend in seamlessly. Should fit in nicely left of the ST speedo. Together with the wiper speed dial. Which I have just got myself as well.

Yeah, I think I will spend a few hours on that dashboard. I sense a custom upholstery job on the lining, but now that we have got that sewing machine, how hard can it be? Sure, it will take some trial and error, but I think we can hack it too.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:49:54 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
...and here are the four switches to fill the slots ;)

as you can see, they are exactly like the original ones and should just slot right in, the discreet amber illumination (edit: as one of them has turned out to be green and I need to replace the LED, I am going to replace the lot of them and make them red) should make the dashboard a bit more interesting, especially with the additional dials mounted above them, just right of the speedo...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:09:47 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
A small intelligence shortcoming has made me miss out on a brilliant 126 to buy. Turns out my neighbour no longer has that older Fiat I was interested in. If I knew, I'd just buy the one I came across online, kicking myself for missing out on that vintage 1978 specimen. Had a few tweaks done to it too: alternator, electric starter motor and Nanoplex ignition system. All for 170 quid. No wonder someone snapped it up in a day.

Oh well. You snooze, you lose. Would probably take pulling a favour or two to have it delivered to my place whilst I am not even in the country ;D

The ST versions are pretty rare and the prices are on the rise, so I am considering getting a FL and removing/replacing a few bits, i.e. plastic bumpers and door panels and putting some shiny chrome bits. That, and changing the dashboard for the ST one with small speedo.

On a positve note, I have managed to get hold of the windscreen seals (front and rear) suitable for the chrome 'wedge' strip, as well as the wedges themselves. These change the look of the front completely. Just need to get the clips for them. The seals are secondhand, but are in good nick.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:39:18 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »
...and undeterred by that little hiccup, I've  kept on searching for the little shiny bits. Read somewhere that 'the one who seeks finds' and today it has proven correct. Rare metal '126p' engine hood emblem is mine and for half the usual price. Will take a bit of polishing, perhaps new chrome coating if the former does not bring out the shine and it will be almost the final piece of the first series exterior puzzle.

Chrome headlight frames to go. Very elusive.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:40:35 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
Whilst I am after the ST model, I think this one is simply too good to miss - see pic. I have arranged to have it picked up tomorrow, will make for a nice 'tactical' holiday vehicle 8)

Probably not too many of the bits shown above will be of much use, but then again, there is almost nothing to be done on this one.  Save for the exhaust, perhaps, but replacement one costs a negligible amount of money and replacing it takes about an hour. Ultimately, I may give it a new coat of paint and put these sewing machines of ours to a good use upgrading the interior a bit.

Lowered suspension + widened rims (5" front, 5.5" rear) are a bonus. Was pondering whether I should do it on my project car, now I will see what it is like to drive and decide. No other mods, all serial. Seems in good condition overall.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:28:30 PM by BHBASS »

BHBASS

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
I have been busy looking for some more parts for my Fiat, ended up with brand spanking new centre console and passenger shelf and other stuff, but the best deal of the lot was getting myself a pair of rear opening 'windows'  and a pair of classic 126p sports seats in the need of a bit of TLC for a whopping £17. Go me  8)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:25:54 PM by BHBASS »