Author Topic: Dreaded rust  (Read 1935 times)

Maluch_UK

• Subscribers
Dreaded rust
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »
Now that we're getting more daylight it's a been a lot easier to examine the bodywork in a little more detail. What is noticeable is the rust at the seal around the windscreen, it's not terrible but it'll need sorting to prevent any spread of rust. Does anyone have any experience / advice for removing the front windscreen?

Another spot that was particularly bad is where the spare wheel sits under the bonnet, is this a common place to find rust? Looks like some of the body will need cut out and replaced  :$

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Dreaded rust
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
Both places you've pointed out are common 126 rot spots. The window is because there are two drain holes, one at each bottom corner and over time they block and water just sits there eating away. Window removal is suprisingly easy. Working from the inside using lots of flat objects like wallpaper scrapers or thin bits of plastic or metal just slot them between the window seal and the body and just lever the rubber seal down whilst gently pushing the window out with your hand. Start at the top and work your way around.

The spare wheel well is a bit more involved however you look like you've caught it in time. It looks rusty but not rotten so I would douse it in rust converter then paint over it in a rust preventer from the likes of hammerite then cover the underside with under seal.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Maluch_UK

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
Both places you've pointed out are common 126 rot spots. The window is because there are two drain holes, one at each bottom corner and over time they block and water just sits there eating away. Window removal is suprisingly easy. Working from the inside using lots of flat objects like wallpaper scrapers or thin bits of plastic or metal just slot them between the window seal and the body and just lever the rubber seal down whilst gently pushing the window out with your hand. Start at the top and work your way around.

The spare wheel well is a bit more involved however you look like you've caught it in time. It looks rusty but not rotten so I would douse it in rust converter then paint over it in a rust preventer from the likes of hammerite then cover the underside with under seal.

That's amazing, I honestly didn't think it would be that simple  :)

Thanks for the advice Gadge!

Iffy650

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:50:37 AM »
Does any have experience with repairing the rust spots at the window seal?

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »
Hi, it appears it's a common problem with the fiat, also the front scuttle rusts too. I would say in order to do a proper job you would have to take the front screen out and remove the rubber completely otherwise you'll be wasting your time. I believe the windscreen rubber has a retaining bead, once that's removed it allows you to push the screen out . I've done this before on my mini so I think it will be down the same lines,it's not that difficult. This will then give you access to the areas needing repair....

Minijohn

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:16:13 PM »
Not all 126's have the locking bead as found on Minis.
The earlier cars had the locking bead - maybe someone knows when it was discontinued?