Author Topic: Another bike engined project bites the dust :(  (Read 43434 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Another bike engined project bites the dust :(
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:51 PM »
It still has its wiper motor Dom :D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

dombooth

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
It still has its wiper motor Dom :D

Probably still works too. :'(

Dom

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
........ And if you can't squeeze the bike engine in the back, just stick the bike bit in the front DOH  :D

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121559331889

drcdb15

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:49 PM »
"in need of tlc" ...  :lol:

I should think the rider/driver will be, too, after 5 minutes in that seat !!

"the wiring is dreadful" ...  Really ??  ::)

(confession: pot calling kettle black here - I've had loads of projects that never saw fruition. OTOH I did at least have the good taste to give them a decent private burial rather than flaunt them on fleabay  :D)

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »
i think that people over estimate their skill, and under estimate how much time,money and equipment it takes to restore a car well let alone modify it massively, Ive been working on my car and modifying pretty much all of it for the last few years, I'm a qualified mechanic and have welders jacks, stands, a sandblasting cabinet, compressor and pretty much all of the tools I might need and I'm struggling to get my head around how much I have to do to get my car to the road and it would be as much again if i where to put a bike engine in it- still amazes me how many people think its just " throw it in the boot with a chain drive and that's it with little or no engineering knowledge.

Sometimes being naive can be in your favour but these types of endings to these "failed projects" illustrate time after time how it normally ends- I can recall a guy on retro rides a few years back with a perfectly serviceable fiat 124 that he wanted to make into a pick up- after people told him not to do it and him saying how he was competent to do the job it ended up going to the scrap yard with a hole cut in the back of it- perhaps we should club together and buy one of these unfinished projects and when another misinformed soul pops up on the forum with a tidy 126 he wants to cut up we can just offer to swap and save another perfectly good 126 from the Sh*t heap...
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 05:29:05 AM »
I must admit I may be being a tad harsh on the trike, after all it may have been a right basket case before it became this thing. I too know all about failed projects. My last BIS project had to be abandoned due to spialing costs and a seemingly never ending trail of corrosion beond my skills. It ended up down the scrap heap which to be honest is where it should've gone when I bought it as it was a right state. The plus side was that all the parts were used or sold on to keep others going.

I love thses little cars and I love them for what they are. It pains me to see them being cut up to satisfy someones urge to make a car that's ridiculously fast in the smallest package possible - usually by someone who isn't really passionate about them.

gammakeith

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »
I love thses little cars and I love them for what they are. It pains me to see them being cut up to satisfy someones urge to make a car that's ridiculously fast in the smallest package possible - usually by someone who isn't really passionate about them.

I agree.  However, if someone came out with a practical turbo or supercharger conversion kit for the Bis engine I might be tempted to the dark side...........

Keith

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »

I agree.  However, if someone came out with a practical turbo or supercharger conversion kit for the Bis engine I might be tempted to the dark side...........

Keith

Absolutely I would too. If it's realistic and can be achieved then I would look into it. I know it's been done before - especially in supercharged form. And don't get me wrong I've seen some awesome bike engined ones on YouTube it's just over here no one seems to carry them though...... And I'm not surprised as the work involved is enormous it's just ashame they get chopped about before the owner realises that the project isn't going to work so it ends up on ebay...... And who wants to buy a half mutilated 126 with half the bits missing :(

Dibles

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
Those bike ones look amazing and a whole load of fun but like most on here I love my little car just the way she is. As previously said keeping her that way is a timely, challenging and costly task in itself! I will continue to look in awe and be impressed with the rally conversions on you tube but to be honest I'm more than happy pottering about with my sub 24 ish HP as I hope to make it to my destination! Lol that reminds me I got to finish working on it first! Hopefully no more sheering nuts off!!

Gadge

• Subscribers

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 07:02:11 AM »
Annnnnd another...... Mind you this ones well rotten and at least he didn't get halfway through stripping it before he realised he couldn't finish it

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321690628073

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
It's been a while but here's an EL that's been hacked in to .... Nearly there but not quite
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141697430307

Dom.kelltt

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
If the latest one was closer I'd be tempted to buy it for the roll cage and then sort rust/rot on the shell and sell the shell but nearly 4 hours is quite a journey and would cost more in petrol to just buy/ get a roll cage made lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mintex

• Subscribers
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
Ive never quite got this "buy a 126 and bike engine it" thing, yes i bet it would be quick and great fun but a few seem to do it and never finish, and even if they do, making it road legal is not easy.

We bought ours for what it is and enjoy it for what it is and always get reactions, conversations and things with people wherever we go in it.

And i'm not having a go at anyone trying to fit any (bike or car) engine into your 126, that's your choice, if that's what you want  to do then do it and post the result's in the forum so we can have a look and sell me the spares from the old engine lol    :D
Dave

Dom.kelltt

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of a bike engined one but the subaru one was loads cheaper and will be easier to do.

I'm pleased people finally can agree with other people's own choices to do a conversion, but not be bothered to do it themselves.

I am keeping my original engine so I can therefor rebuild the car straight back to standard if the conversion is never possible for me.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk