Author Topic: gear lever slides  (Read 1249 times)

tomviam

gear lever slides
« on: November 30, 2018, 07:28:21 PM »
Hi, I have changed the clutch and now what happens is that the gear lever slides on 2nd and 4th. I think I have to adjust it somehow but I dont know how...can anybody tell me how to do it?

Regards

Brighton_126

Re: gear lever slides
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:35:08 PM »
Hi,
I recently changed my clutch and had this too, its just the clutch cable needs adjustment, it needs more tension. the clutch cable is on the left side of the bellhousing of the gearbox, it consists of two nuts. you undo the small nut which allows you to tighten the large one, you might need some pliers to hold the thread whilst you are screwing the nut. i have attached you a photo of the cable to show you what it looks like.
Thanks
Luca

tomviam

Re: gear lever slides
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »
Hi,
I recently changed my clutch and had this too, its just the clutch cable needs adjustment, it needs more tension. the clutch cable is on the left side of the bellhousing of the gearbox, it consists of two nuts. you undo the small nut which allows you to tighten the large one, you might need some pliers to hold the thread whilst you are screwing the nut. i have attached you a photo of the cable to show you what it looks like.
Thanks
Luca
Hi Luca.

It was not my case, I had to adjust the gear lever itself. According to the manual, when 2nd and 4th gear slides, you need to unscrew 2 bolts on the right side of the lever, on the tunnel, and move it backwards a bit. For that I had to cut the carpet, not a big deal. 

After doing it, it works great again :) not even the rear gear slides so great.

I just drove 250km yesterday after 1 year restoration of my Fiat 126 1978 and no issues at all :D