Author Topic: 13" wheels and disc brake converison so far  (Read 3187 times)

Dom

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915992
13" wheels and disc brake converison so far
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:58:17 PM »
Ok, so I know it’s taken a long time, but the car is back together and it’s almost back in business.
After changing the rear hubs (126 bis courtesy of Mick), putting on the front discs and callipers (Fiat 124, 126 stub axles), new shocks, pads/shoes etc.
I took it for a little test drive up and down my road last night and it was quite promising. With just a few things I think I need to fine tune. Firstly the tracking is totally out and I was almost scraping my new tyres across the floor! What’s the best way to sort this? Probably best to take it somewhere and get it done professionally?
Also, when I apply the brake, there is some knocking; I think it is partly due to the tyre hitting the arches (which is something I have to sort, also scrapes in full lock)
In addition, what is used to connect the handbrake cable to the lever on the rear backplates?
Is there any other things that I should be checking and finalising before I re-commission the car back onto the roads?
I also plan to fit some 15mm hubcentric spacers to the front as, I could use the extra clearance, and would not dream of using the car with the current 10mm flat spacers.

Wozza

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
Hi Dom, I would check your discs for straightness, especially if the brake has less of an effect at the point of rotation where the pulsing or surge occurs. Unfortunately, the thorough method of checking requires that you jack the car up and remove the wheel, and spin the hub and disc to see if it's warped at any point. Watch the pads in the caliper for signs of movement with and without the brakes on mate. Other than the disc/s, a loose suspension component, ie; shock absorber, or hub nut might cause that sort of effect. Re- tighten everything whilst the car is jacked up a little bit.

Dom

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
The brakes seem fine, in fact really good.
The steering however is not good. When I first fitted the new hubs/wheels, both wheels were towing out and it was virtually impossible to drive, I then adjusted the tracking to make both wheels toe-in, but it now feels even worse. When driving it just pulls from side to side following it's own path, rather like sailing a small boat on a choppy sea.
I'm hoping the tracking is to blame, though I am starting to wonder whether it may be something more serious like a damaged steering box. Has any one had similar problems? How were they solved?
Am waiting on delivery of 15mm hubcentric spacers, to help stop the rubbing and secure the wheel better.

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
Dom

Did you sort out the suspension height problem?
might be something to do with the geometry of the suspension? How are all the steering ball joints? It's worth getting all the rods off with the ball joints and checking them and freeing all of the threads ready for the tracking. Also worth checking that the rods are set even, so that you have the same amount of steering lock, left and right.

Dom

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:16:28 PM »
The suspension has dropped slightly - still high, but always was. I have set the rods even, and the ball joints are pretty free, I have been able to adjust tracking, just don't know how to get it straight

126dave

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
get the tracking ''in the ball park'' by using to pieces of straight timber or two lenghs of string from rear wheels to front,set your front wheels paralal to the timber or string,then drive slowly to your nearest alighnment station,any tyre factors whatever will do it for you.

any front spring change will result in tracking needing tio be done,its not your steering box dom just the tracking
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:09:37 PM »
As Dave said get the tracking sorted out first, when i put the new reverse eye spring on,  the car was all over the road, in fact it was dam wright dangerous, i took mine to the local tyre place and they tracked it up using the laser thingymagigy, when i got it back they told me it was 26mm out (towing out) when they had set it up the car drove smoothly over the bumps in the road and did'nt sway even at motorway speeds. also it dropped the front end by over an inch, towing out must push the suspension up?
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

126dave

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »
yes pete,toe in will bunch the spring up...the spring is your bottom link.its crucial to get the tracking set up after playing with it.

if you set the tracking to 1 or so degree toe in,you will in effect get nuetral tracking when driving,it makes the car nervouse bt is great for drop in handling thro the curves
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
Hi Dom, I'm not going to get the time to come roud and see you for a while I'm afraid, but if you can make it to Slough i have a trakrite which i used to set up my tracking. its a small plate that you roll one wheel at a time over and it indicates whether you need to adjust in or out. not perfect, but if you do it a few times you'll get it pretty much spot on. Made a big difference to my handling when i done it.
Rust does not discriminate

Dom

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
I took the car out on a first extended test drive yesterday.
Generally it felt really good. Still an issue with steering though. The tracking is still not spot on, but everything else seems ok. The tyres are 155/65 R13 and I have 20psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. Is this a suitable set up? The main problem I've noticed regarding the steering is quite severe bump steer. Is this due to the tracking/alignment being out?
I've taken it to a local centre and to kwikfit, and both have refused to set the tracking, so right now, I am running by eye!

Dom