Author Topic: Engine rebuild supplies  (Read 12699 times)

Xylaquin

Re: Engine rebuild supplies
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
Yours is a crack in the engine if I recall correctly (what’s the situation with replacing that btw?) whereas I’ve got full compression now.

Suspect it’s either the advance mechanism, points or capacitor.

Xylaquin

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »
Well I've been daily driving the BIS for 12 days now, and it's had no problems 9 out of 12 of those.

Sometimes after being parked for a few hours, it won't start. Each time I've got it going again by setting the static timing with a test bulb. It's never the first time either:
I set the timing, turn the key,
set the timing, turn the key,
set the timing, turn the key and THEN it'll go.

I just don't understand it.

And now today it's refusing completely, I either hear a loud BANG once I stop cranking or conversely a gentle "poot" backfire.

Once it's going, it's fine.... and when I check the timing with a strobe light it's jumping around the 10* mark too.
I'm convinced BIS must stand for Bloody Ignition System.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:38:21 PM by Xylaquin »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
You have the patience of a saint ! Have you ever considered moving Scottish isles , IONA maybe  :)
I think that the continual resetting of the timing is a bit of a smokescreen unless something is seriously floating about in your engine or distributor. I am no Bis expert but I assume that the distributor internals are in good order, points set and the vacuum advance working and not sticking. Then you have those pipe connections to the carb. The loud bang in the exhaust is the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust which suggests timing but could it be you are loosing the spark for some reason then it finally cuts in? So maybe a bad connection or a short circuit. When it will not spark can you test for a spark?

Xylaquin

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
Well I took the sparks out, spun the engine to clear out any flooding (one spark was wet)
Cleaned the sparks, put them back in and cranked... and it started for a second then died. Almost!

Based on the sparks it's definitely running too rich, so maybe it's just a case of fitting new sparks for the time-being and running with them another 500 miles  ::)

Last week I took ownership of a gas tester, and it's running at 6-7%, when it should be no more than 1.5! Fiddling about with the idle mixture screw didn't seem to change it much... I shall need to have another go at it once it's running again.

Xylaquin

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
and this morning easily started. Weird.

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »
I have had a very similar issue once.
Car would start, run fine for a while, then cut out. The only way to get it started again was to reset the timing which was significantly out.

In my case the distributor had not been put back together properly (by me!) and the gear shaft was able to rotate independently of the points. This would mirror what Rusty is saying about something possibly floating about in the distributor.

Do you have a spare to swap over?
Rust does not discriminate

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »
Could it be a problem with the centrifugal weights in the distributor  sticking or a faulty spring on the weights?

Xylaquin

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2019, 08:17:00 PM »
I’ve got a spare dizzy and a spare carb.
Wish I had a spare exhaust as I blew mine today!

A combination of backfires and not screwing it on correctly finally took its toll.
Never scrimp-by on less than ALL the screws folks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:10:11 PM by Xylaquin »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2019, 07:22:50 AM »
Same thing happened to mine on the same cylinder but a bit further up on the first bend. The bolts holding it on the side of the head came loose so the vibrations went to town on it and shatter it :(
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Xylaquin

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
New exhaust fitted. Bit the bullet and bought from Ricambio because I wanted it delivered asap... unfortunately it took a week to get here, seems ParcelForce aren't as quick as Royal Mail if you live in the KW postcode!

I also decided to try out Axel Gerstl's preformed valve cover gasket. Unfortunately it didn't work and oil came spilling out of it once the engine was put together again and turning over.

*sigh*

Took off the new exhaust
cleaned off the spilt oil
fitted a normal flat valve cover gasket and put it back together....AGAIN
This time it doesn't leak!

Just for future reference, does anyone have any tips on fitting a BIS exhaust... when fitting it and removing it I tilt it in various directions but there doesn't seem to be an easy way of getting it past the valve cover without scraping.

But anyway, after all the palava, that's the exhaust sorted.

I've still got the frustrating random ignition problem though...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xfK4YP4C4[/youtube]

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 01:12:17 AM »
:wave

Aftermarket exhausts never fit properly and if you strain them they won't last long, this is how I have fitted them in the past, bolt the down pipes to the manifold then mark the brackets on the exhaust through the holes on the engine support brackets, remove the exhaust and adjust the holes using a round file or re-drill to match the marks, by doing this the exhaust won't be stressed and will last longer.

Have you checked the condition of the timing chain/gears if they are worn the timing will be all over the place because the distributor is driven by the gear on the camshaft 
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo