Author Topic: :cry: Bad Christmas  (Read 10340 times)

dajwid

• Subscribers
Re: :cry: Bad Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
Update:-
Interior removed (all sitting in my works boiler room) Carpets will go into washing machines Monday. Seats are Vinyl so not much of a problem, should be Ok.

Water soaked up from inside, lots of pond weed and leaves removed.

Everything covered in WD40 is says 'Drives out moisture' Lets see how well.

The steering column will need re-fixing somehow  ???

These are the problems with the roof and door frames:-
Any Ideas?

I removed the dip stick, is this normal?  :$
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emb31NhI7uw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Come on own up !!!! you laughed when you saw the video >:( Then you said Oh my god.

What do I do? Just drain it and refill a couple of times? Or do I rebuild?

Kent126

• Closer every day to getting on the road....
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Personally I would re-build it, because you wont be able to tell how far in the water has penetrated. Strip it down, and re-build it with a few extras  ;D

Tom
1974 Italian Fiat 126 TA
1996 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
2008 Fiat Panda 100HP

markymarc

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
This is shocking and I hope the lil 126 can be saved?

Marc

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
that's harsh, it's like watching the engine cry!
Rebuild is probably the safe bet.
Rust is unlikely yet, but all it would take is a little water to get trapped somewhere to cause a nightmare.
Can you part strip the engine and put it in the boiler room with the carpets?

for the door frames I would suggest getting some help from a panel beater.
a hammer and block would get the gutter almost aligned top and bottom, but it will still look like someone has squashed in the sides. It's a pain since it's a double wall section. One of those hooked dent pullers would work, but it involves drilling holes that would have to be filled.

If It were mine, I would:
  • get the gutters as good as possible with a hammer and block
  • make a pair clamp block that bolts tightly onto the gutter, using some inner tube to prevent damaging the paint.
  • put 1 clamp on the damaged passengers side, 1 clamp on the damaged drivers side.
  • Secure 1 set to something solid like a tree or another car with some rope.
  • Attach the other end to another solid object via a pulley block.
  • carefully tension the pulley block and you will start to pull the sides back out to the right place.

The rope caused a pincing damage to either side of the car, this is the closest way to replicate the forces being applied in the opposite direction

I would hammer the steering column areas flat, then drill and bolt together using at least 6 x M8 bolt/nuts. Or drill through the plate and weld. Welding is preferable, but there are only 4 bolts holding the column onto the plate, so you would be exceeding that retaining force with 6.

If there are any parts that you need, put up a list. I'm happy to post anything I can spare, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Rust does not discriminate

grubscrew

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
Good on you mate for getting stuck in. If the door pillars are well in you could use an acro builders prop to push out both pillars at the same time, a bit fiddly but with a few pairs of hands to help. This way you can do it by gradual degrees.
As for the engine, short of rebuild, I would turn engine over by hand , less the plugs, if thats ok , after new oil, turn with starter on to flush out any water in bores, you could even put a dry rag in to soak any thing up , then put plugs back loosly and see if she will go. Good luck.Mike.
All things Italian.

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
If there are any parts that you need, put up a list. I'm happy to post anything I can spare, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I agree, don't bear the parts burden all by yourself, we've all got ''junk'' that it would be good to put to good use, if it helps I've got (what I think is) a spare RHD Carello headlight that is in good condition that I'd be happy to send you free of charge.  It's taking up space in my shed so you'd actually be doing me a favour.  If I shift it, I'll have room for yet another car (!!)  ;D
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
If the door pillars are well in you could use an acro builders prop to push out both pillars at the same time, a bit fiddly but with a few pairs of hands to help. This way you can do it by gradual degrees.
Around that area there is an inner skin and an outer skin. You can push from the inside where the seam is, This will get the gutter into place, but it won't reposition the other skin.The dent on the outside will remain, and there will probably be a new crease on the inside as well.
Rust does not discriminate

Westy

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
Terrible news. Just mindless b*******s. Ive been offered a spare 126 rusty but running, Just shout if you need anything

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Unlucky mate ! When you consider all of the usual problems we face every day trying to keep these cars on the road idiot brained vandalism is really something you could do without. Re the water in the engine, when my Bis which was just over 2 years old blew the head gasket there was no manual available at the time . I needed the car back on the road PDQ so did what I thought was right but unknown to me I had allowed a lot of the coolant into the sump. When I restarted the engine & it got warmed up I had not seen anything like it . What I thought was smoke was in fact steam which belched out for 15 mins or so then stopped. I topped up the oil and the engine was fine. I would be very confident that if you drain the sump , fill with a cheap oil & let it run for 30 mins, drain and refill with decent oil that engine will be OK  :)

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
Terrible news. Just mindless b*******s. Ive been offered a spare 126 rusty but running, Just shout if you need anything

Thank you so much,

THANKS TO EVERYONE.

I hope to drain all the oil out tomorrow, the fill up to the very top with cheap oil, drain again, refill and see what happens. The worst thing is that the engine dies, but to honest I really don't have much to lose.

Will a battery still work if it has been under water for 3 hours? I suppose in the morning I will find out.

Eire126

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
Best of luck tomorrow dajwid. Was the car inspected by a police examiner for fingerprint lifts etc??  I doubt it would have yeilded anything due to the water and also anything that may have been recovered during the inspection, its evidential would be compromised due to the car being man handled during recovery. In my opinion, the only chance of finding the offenders is that someone in the area may have seen the act being carried out and in a position to id them or describe them to the Police and/or Police information. Did you make an actual complaint to the Police, as in a complaint in writing?? If not the Police may not have recorded the crime and as a result may not be investigating it. Best advice, contact the local Police and find out what the low down is if you wish to try and locate the fools that did this. Hope this helps.

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
I agree with rusty, a full rebuild shouldn't be needed as long as it hasn't run with water in.

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
It was really nice to meet you all earlier, what was planned as a quick fag break and stretch of legs, with an associated nose at Beryl, turned into a very pleasant two hours. Cheers!! :D

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
It was great to meet you and have a chat, thanks for the support.

Most important question from my daughter. How long did your beard take to grow?  ;D

This morning I filled with oil, removed plugs and turned the engine over by hand.