Author Topic: '89 BIS from North Devon  (Read 7842 times)

kev126

• Built not bought
'89 BIS from North Devon
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:22:39 PM »
Welcome! First of all, I am calling this a 'resurrection' as my newly owned 1989 126 BIS has been sat dry stored in a garage for the past nine years, so this is a journey from neglected classic to... appreciated daily driver!

Me and a friend collected the car on the 21st October 2012, traveling the (approximately) 600 mile round trip in 15 hours. From North Devon, to Suffolk and back. After what seemed a smooth transaction, we departed it's then previous garage 'home' and set off back to Devon. My previous two cars were both Renault 5's, so I initially thought the 126 would be a right breeze to start driving. How I was wrong! I could not stop laughing when attempting to get used to the four gears, almost central pedals, and the sheer brilliant handling of the thing!

We stopped off around a third of the way, in Swindon for a bite to eat. Upon returning to our cars, I suddenly realised I had a flat tyre! No problem - whacked the spare wheel on and set off. Started engine, and pulled out of the space. Car dies. Wouldn't start up to save it's life! Fuel gauge said a 1/4 tank! Turned out it lied. Filled up, and after a few turns of the key to pump the fuel back through, we were off! When we finally got back to Devon I was absolutely exhausted from the fear and terror of a blow out or blow up!

Home and settled in my garage.

First on the list of things to do was get some new rubber! Purely for peace of mind. Although the tread of the then current tyres were almost like new, they had infact been fitted in 1997!

Also ordered - tax disc holder (as the then sellotape one didn't cut the mustard for me) and a locking fuel cap.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:33:08 PM by kev126 »
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
Re: Kev's 1989 BIS Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:17 PM »
Last weekend I gave the old girl and wash inside and out, best as I could!

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »
Most important job then was to fit my sound system! As the 'loom' only had 1 constant 12v and 1 earth! Needed to find an ignition somewhere.. and failed. I ran a fused wire from the battery and added a switch to flick on and off, to act as an ignition. I'm still in the process of sorting all this so Watch this space!

In other news, tonight I inspected the engine. I will be needing to replace the thermostat, fuel lines/filters and flush the coolant etc. standard servicing, really. Also, last night the car started 'kangarooing' and juddered when I put my foot down. With the help of the choke I was able to gain more speed and reduce the jumping. I still need to find out what the problem is  :(

Also, the dash lighting doesn't work when the switch the lights on, and neither does the 'lights on bulb'. All others work, and the bulbs havn't blown. Alas, I couldn't find the problem. Can only assume it's a dodgy wire. They did work when I first drove the car, though.

And that's it for now, cheers  :)

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
New part arrived today! :)

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
Hello. Your 126 Bis looks it great condition. There is a way of starting the car from cold and you need to follow this. Pull the choke up fully, then press the clutch. Whilst pressing the clutch, start the engine but do not press the accelerator (or just pump it once). Keep the choke on for a couple of minutes until the engine is warm, the gradually push down the choke. For me, I sort of push it down in stages, until the engine is fully warmed up.

By the way, the owners handbook you showed is for an aircooled. A full copy of the Bis handbook is in the subscribers section.

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Thank you :) I did notice that the booklet was a little old and featured the air cooled version! However it did tell me the process of starting it from cold, the same as what you mentioned.

The car is a little poorly at the moment - it isn't running right :( I posted a thread in the problem solving area, however I haven't sussed it yet. When picking up speed the car jumps a little and almost refuses to gain anymore speed. If I pull the choke on it does it up more speed and even gets me up hills! It idles fine and is fully warmed when I drive. Not sure what it could be.
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
Yeah, I saw your thread. Is there a service history on the car? If not, I agree, might as well give the car a full service i.e. change plugs, condenser, points, fuel filter, air filter, etc. to make sure.

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
There's bits and bobs and a tonne of receipts, but the car is in great condition and it's definitely been taken care of :) changing a few bits tonight and other parts are on order :) ill keep this as updated as I can
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Sorted the problem! New spark plugs and a new fuel filter. Also relocated the filter so it is before the fuel pump  :) cleaned the carb and it runs smoothly now! HT leads are on their way and I shall be flushing the system next weekend hopefully!

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Madd

• Poland
    • Street-Roulette
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
Beautiful! Super color :)

I've got the same interior :)
Fiat 126 RHD & BOSMAL :) in Poland

Instagram: @madd.moss

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:29 AM »
Well done. These cars will run great as long as you do not skimp on the maintenance. Regularly check that the fan switches on automatically and always watch the water temperature gauge and temp warning light. See whether it is taking a while to warm up, could be the thermostat.

kev126

• Built not bought
Re: '89 BIS from North Devon
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Time for a massive update. I need to start posting on here more often. I will try and catch up, so for now I'll be filling in the gaps from the past five months :)

Wired in my stereo an amp, only to remove it again as I had nowhere to put all my speakers so I just removed everything!

I also bought a set of five Speedline wheels from an x19! They are a little ugly, but trust me.. they'll look mental once I've fully refurbed them!

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
I also sold my DSLR camera, so the pictures from now on will be pretty pants  :$

Started on the refurb of the wheels... absolutely horrible condition, but nothing a wire wheel and a drill won't sort. I bought some Nitromors without knowing they changed the formula... it's crap, avoid! I bought some Synstrip P50 instead, works a treat  :good:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:06:20 PM by kev126 »
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »

1989 Fiat 126 BIS

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
More updates! I hate to be a 'spammer' but I'd like to get page 2 going as I don't want there to be a huge picture overload on page 1  8)
1989 Fiat 126 BIS