Author Topic: 1108cc conversion info required fiat 126  (Read 2541 times)

gazzaman2k

1108cc conversion info required fiat 126
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:58 AM »
been reading up and looking at various pics of the 1108cc conversion, now from what i can gather is they use the standard 4sp gearbox from the 126 using a laser cut stud patern changing spacer plate in order to bolt the 126 gearbag to the fire block.

what is confusing me is that the 126 uses a brass bearing and does the spline shaft from the gearbox fit into the fire engine directly or is it skinnier? or differnt spline pattern?

also what flywheel/clutch setup to be used? the fire or the 126 one?

once i get the gearbox into the engine i could have the car ready to go in 2 days

any info would be great thanks.

gaz
1989 Fiat 126BIS

gazzaman2k

Re: 1108cc conversion info required fiat 126
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
anyone got a drawing or know of it anyone sells the plate inorder to bolt the gearbox to the engine? or even have a cad file to be able to get one made?

cheers
1989 Fiat 126BIS

Eklipze3k

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »
Rob Whitney says he has a design which I PM'd him about ages ago and he's not gotten back to me about it yet.  :cry:

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
You will need to get a bronze spigot shaft bearing turned up by an engineering company, this goes into the end of the fire crank, I have a sketch somewhere but since I moved office I can't find anything! Still its an easy thing to work out, it needs to be a snug fit into the end of the crank but also a snug fit in the end of the gearbox shaft (note: the id will reduce slightly as you knock it into the end of the crank)

You also need to think about the flywheel, we use Panda 999cc flywheels because the clutch is slightly smaller than the later flywheels so the bell-housing of the gearbox does not have to have too much material removed from it.

I also have a pattern for casting an adapter plate and a set of transfer punches and pattern for transfering the mounting holes. Its not the easiest adapter plate to make as it needs to be around 30mm thick (i can measure mine if you like) thick so the choice is either to use a big thick alloy billet, cast in alloy or cut in 10mm steel plate but add on 20+mm spacers which will work but leave a big open gap between the gearbox and engine.

It is possible to do the conversion in a few days if you have all the bits prepared and ready to fit. I spent quite a long time planning and fabricating all the required elements and  started be getting the engine and gearbox mated together on the bench before I even thought about how to fit it into the car.

There are plenty of photos on my www.retro500.com site, have a look in the gallery at 'nigel1108' in the build pics section.
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

Eklipze3k

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Hi Nigel, have looked at your 500 soooo many times recently - it's quite an inspiration :D

I'm still in the planning phase while I try to find a 1242 for the Seicento, so that I can take the 1108 out. Unless I can find another 1108 (very) cheap locally!

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciate by both myself and gaz I'm sure  [-/