Author Topic: headlining / sound deadening ??  (Read 1578 times)

124cso

headlining / sound deadening ??
« on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:19 AM »
I have an 87 aircooled FSM which has developped a sag in the head lining. The lining appears (feels) to be a light board or stiff cardboard, with a diamond patterned "flock" like finish - where everytime you touch it, you get a cloud of flock fibres coming down.
I know that earlier 126s had no roof lining so this was perhaps an "improvement" ?
What I'd like to know, from anyone who has had a similar lining out, is :
A/ What is it made of (cardboard, fibreboard etc) ? and
B/ Is there any foam padding or similar above it ?

Reason being is that I had ideas of simply injecting glue thru it and propping it up to the roof skin till said glue bonds but that won't work if there is foam padding above it.

Anyone ???

Clancy_Ryan

Re: headlining / sound deadening ??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »
As far as I'm concerned it's a cardboard or something alike,so it should't be a problem to try your method.it's a common thing in 126,actually I might need to do the same soon. From what I've heard,worst case scenario is to take the whole thing out,but this needs removing back window.
Please let us know if you succeed

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
I actually removed mine the other day for the same reason. Its made of hard board - about 4mm thick - with the fabric glued to it. Mine was sagging down but it was the hard board that had wrapped very badly. I plan to buy some from homebase and re-do it as its quite drumy and tinny in there lol
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

poxxxy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »
I've been slowly reshaping mine... thinking to spray with glue or something to re "set" the board and then wash and restretch/cover the original fabric... although I'm missing all clips to hold it up at the back now :(.
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
When i took mine out it disintegrated :( The later models had self adhesive padded vinyl stuck directly onto the metal. 
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

ronb1967

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:53:14 AM »
Mine also sags in the middle , but it looks like the front and rear section tuck under the screen rubbers, arn't you supposed to remove the rear screen to remove/refit the roof linning ?

baron_matt

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
Is it best to have your headlining stuck on a board or glued directly onto the metal?