Author Topic: how can you tell if its overheating?  (Read 1058 times)

Floored

how can you tell if its overheating?
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
i have a 126 aircooled ( polish lhd ) and after parking theres a really hot feel to the engine lid and the air coming out of the vents is very very hot. is this normal?  because of where i live, theres lots of hills and the traffic ( modern cars ) drive quite fast, so i have to drive at max revs in 2nd and 3rd gear only with my foot pressed hard to the floor so im keeping up with the other traffic. so the little engine is working very hard / maximum most of the time. but there is no temperature gauge as its air cooled so how can i know if its gettting too hot? or will it just stop?
thanks for any help / advice

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: how can you tell if its overheating?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »
Although your car is a Polish version it's design and roots lay in the original air cooled Fiat 500 which was designed to withstand the heat of Italian summers and mountainous roads where the cars are well thrashed. A by virtue of design also an air cooled engine will run hotter than water cooled. If the engine is overheating then you would have running problems and hot starting issues. Keep on thrashing and enjoy yourself  :)

1973/126

Re: how can you tell if its overheating?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
 As Rusty said they do run pretty hot, but there is couple of things worth checking to prevent overheating.
 Make sure the intake pipe for the engine is fitted correctly and intact. These often slide off or split. Also check the thermostat flap opens as it should when the engine gets up to temperature.
 You could also fit one of those engine lid pop open gadget things.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126