Author Topic: Fuel pump wet  (Read 1331 times)

nalonso

Fuel pump wet
« on: July 26, 2019, 12:22:52 AM »
Hi fellows!

Finally, after a year in this forum, I got a 126p, 1987 aircooled. Just today I realized that the fuel pump is getting wet with petrol, right under the top cover (the one that looks like half tennis ball). I've tightened the bolt on top, but still I see it wet, with bubbles of air going up when the engine is stopped (the line is transparent, bubbles are inside the line), and when I push it uphill a little bit in third gear it loses power, almost shuts off, and then it goes up again.

This issue didn't happened the day I bought it, but I noticed that the fuel line doesn't has a filter, so, my questions are:

How can I solve this air intake into the fuel line, and the wetting of the pump? Does it has something to do with the missing line filter? Should I also clean the carb? I just bought the line filter, and I'm just waiting to know what to do before fitting it.

Thanks in advance!

Nestor

La Habana, Cuba

P.S. The "polaquito" has another issues, like leaking oil, but this is a complete different story, for a different post.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:04:21 AM by nalonso »

dajwid

• Subscribers
Re: Fuel pump wet
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 04:40:48 AM »
Change the pump, change the hoses. Very cheap to do

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Hola, elmano!!!  :)

First and foremost do not drive el polaquito in this condition. You do not want it to catch a fire. The air-cooled engines tend to do the job really quickly. Also the generator is under the pump...

You'll probably need to change only the membrane (it is a triple one). In between the membranes there is a plastic spacer with a hole. It leaks oil or fuel depending on which one is broken. The air getting in the hose is through this hole. It could be also because of leaking non-return valves inside the pump.

If you can't for 126, the Lada membranes are the same. You can use the pump as well. It has an additional lever for hand pumping, that can't be used on 126, since the the generator is pretty close.

Do not put a filter between the pump and the carburator. Always before the pump. If something goes wrong, it could catch a fire. Also after the filter you can put an in line non-return valve.

I hope it helps.

Hasta la Victoria siempre!

Un saludo,
Deyan

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

:)

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
I forgot to say that the only problem with the Lada's pump is that it is for 8mm lines, and the 126's is 6mm.

Also the transparent lines are good to put to the garbage any time soon. They are probably the original ones and hard as a rock. The pressure can spit them out...

Best!

nalonso

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
Thank you very much!!!!

I'll put the pump apart today and let you know  :)

All the best,

Nestor

nalonso

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »
I've disassembled the pump, and the problem was in the first joint... Seems that is was cut too close to the edge, so it leaks sometimes. The filter inside the pump was clean, so all I need now is a new joint.

BTW, the line filter that I bought was 8mm, so it doesn't fit in the line. I'll try to buy another with 6mm hose...

Other than that, I adjusted the thick alternator wire that was touching the earth mesh, and fixed the other wire to the engine, to avoid any future cut due to fatigue.

Thanks again!