Author Topic: 126 BIS - Winter handling?  (Read 1295 times)

cudhso

• The BIS: An exercise in discovery learning.
126 BIS - Winter handling?
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
Hello,

I take freezing my nuts off or sliding off the road quite seriously, especially in more remote areas.  I live in West Cornwall and winter is almost upon us....  We have had snow for the last couple of years, which is unusual.  We normally just get serious wind & rain.

It strikes me my BIS should handle OK in the snow, being small & light.  This is my first year of ownership so I dont yet know, but to my mind they could be a bit too light on the front end.

Is there anyone out there who has invested in winter tyres and if so was the difference in the snow worth the money ???  Last year's snow cought me out in a hired zafira. I dont intend to get caught out in my BIS, but if the difference between normal and winter tyres is not great I shall save some money. [-/

Grateful for informed replies,  Richie.
It boils but it doesn't whistle......

Darrell

• facebook profile
Re: 126 BIS - Winter handling?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »
I got snowed in this last winter so I'm getting snow chains!  [-/
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

bis13

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
ive driven in the snow in my 126 a few times now and can say its okay as it is a much lighter vehicule than most however that doesnt mean you can go mental i did however take ownership of the fast lane of the m20 at 4am with around 6inches of snow on it and did around 60mph... all i can say is if you let out the pressure of your tyres you will be better off but just dont go too fast as you can roll the tyre off if you over do it.
anyhow we are not going to see snow anyway so put on your shorts and shades and get on with winter...

cudhso

• The BIS: An exercise in discovery learning.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:46:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have seen winter tyres online, £60 for a winter tyre, already on a brand new steel rim wheel, balanced etc (for a seicento).  Seems not too bad a deal at £240 all in.

Cheers,
It boils but it doesn't whistle......