Author Topic: turbocharger?  (Read 18500 times)

gregs656

turbocharger?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »
That site with the Dax is a really good read, interesting stuff. You can do all sorts of buggery with a little engine . . . it rocks
The Hunt Continues. . .

fiatfsm

turbocharger?
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
The only other type of engine I would consider putting in a 126 is a another aircooled lump, 2 cylinder of course. Thats their main character, a 126 with a normal engine would be dull :wink: There are plenty of good old bike engines that would do, but its cooling them. Yamaha XS650, that would be ace or a BMW boxer lump? Once saw an old british Sunbeam bike with a 126 engine in it with the sunbeams box, it fitted so well and its amazing just how tiny the engine is once everything is taken off. It had a SU carb which is probably a good thing too! Turbos, nah! Dont even consider using anything made for or by Smart... it only lasts a few minutes!
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
turbocharger?
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 06:41:10 PM »

John Bitmeads (Darkhorse) 126 aircooled turbo project! He asked me to post these pics up for him.

im shocked its been done!!! well done John and thanks for sharing it with us!  :lol:

regards,

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

toz

turbocharger?
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 07:41:53 PM »
hi,well darkhorse knows his stuff. :wink: nice to see somebody thats a little diffrent.job well done.when can i test pilot it? :lol:

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
turbocharger?
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 08:07:58 PM »
me first toz!!!!  :lol:
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

slater

• http://www.retro-rides.com
turbocharger?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 09:44:32 PM »
Intesting bit of kit :D

paul harbinson.

Turbo
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 07:49:52 AM »
My God that's neat,and it is'nt spread out like a load of spagetti(excuse the pun) :D.John have you strengthened the bottom end or anything?
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

Darkhorse

turbocharger?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 12:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the interest all.
The whole idea of this project is to make a bolt-on system that doesn't require any modifications to the engine in the slightest, so in answer to your question Paul, the bottom end is standard.
I will explain a few pointers about what and why I have gone this route:
Firstly these delightful little engines are prone to shearing the crank in half when over revved (a common problem once they have been tuned)
so I decided that I wanted to produce more torque, and not worry about a horsepower increase, this would make the engine far more tractable and user friendly. In turn, I needed to find a turbo that would spin up quickly at lower RPM - the obvious choice is the smallest diesel turbo unit available to me (top secret at the mo!!). Diesel turbos have a different vein angle to petrol turbos, hence the different points of boost.
Secondly, I didn't want to have to muck about putting oil lines in, especially as the twin has only got a centrifugal oil filter, so the plan was always to have its own oil supply, cooler, filter and of course, electric pump all running with a high spec synthetic oil - all fitted on a supporting plate making fitting and removal extremely easy and fast.
Thirdly, because I wasn't aiming for a performance turbo I have opted for a suck-through system. like the old style drag bikes used to use (the carb is before the turbo not after). Another reason for this is I won't have to go to ridiculous lengthes to equalize the pressure in the fuel bowl and create more complications with jetting.

The carb I have chosen is a 650 single cylinder bike carb (huge 40mm).
Because it is sat in front of the turbo, the metering of the fuel is going to be simpler because it will still suck an equal amount of fuel / air mixture. The only negative point, with regards its positioning, is a small amount of fuel de-vapourising as its spun out by the turbo, but this shouldn't cause me any problems as its a relatively low revving engine.

So with all my aims here fairly well complete I hope to have a self-contained turbo unit that can be easily fitted to a standard engine, removed and then back to a stock engine again in a matter of minutes (quite literally).

Thanks once again for your flattering comments, they are much appreciated

gregs656

turbocharger?
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
Sounds like you thought about tht a fiar bit then, good stuff.

what performance increase do you see then?
The Hunt Continues. . .

paul harbinson.

Turbo
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 07:47:44 AM »
Now you've got me thinking John.What about a turbo from an x type jaguer diesel,they use a variable pitch vains in the turbo working off a vacuum diaphram (on the early ones).

Darkhorse

turbocharger?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:09 AM »
Now thats interesting Paul, I had no idea although the turbo unit is likely to be a bit to large to start with but I like your way of thinking  :cool:

paul harbinson.

Turbo
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 07:48:13 AM »
Actually to tell you the truth John it's quite a compact unit plus,the x type diesel is of only 2 or 2.2 litre in capacity (and it's a four cylinder,tch).On the car it give's boost right through the rev range (no lag) quite smart eh?

Darkhorse

turbocharger?
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »
I really am intruiged by the idea of one of these units now ;)
Might be the next plan for the bis version  :D

PaulB

turbocharger?
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
I was intouch with a guy called martin igelmann last spring about using a Citoen Visa engine (34 BHP) - this is becoming a fairly popular upgrade on the continent. he had posted on the 500 club website with some details. I couldn't find an engine in the UK. They cost a lowly €130 or so in France, though there is a €420 conversion kit required  so its not going to happen for me soon. The exhausts are crafted from a Honda 600cc but most apparently use Harley "shotgun" exhausts. I think it looks the business in a 500 snd would be equally at home in a 126. Just hope the heater still works!

500 club post:
http://www.fiat500club.org.uk/boards/fiat500/index.cgi?read=15175

PaulB

turbocharger?
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 11:23:15 PM »
Forgot to mention... the Visa engine has no turbo - the turbo engine just jogged my memory...