Author Topic: 126 and BHP  (Read 7733 times)

Eklipze3k

Re: 126 and BHP
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
If you wanted 100hp and useable, best bet would be get Jan's 1.2MPI machine, and replace that engine with the 1.4 16v from a Panda 100hp.

And watch as the gearbox floats away in a shower of iron and oil ...  :oops:

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
I'm guessing the 100hp engine swap would be easy [-/

But hey I think it must be possible to build a 100hp engine out of a 126 engine, what would be left of the engine's original bits wont be much :P
But think I'll leave that to someone cleverer than me  :-
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

bis13

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
at the end of the day if you had the know how and the money and the time it would be possible to make one that ran on farts let alone 100 bhp but as we are all lacking one or more of these components it will always remain a question we can pursue whilst sitting on the loo, may i say that if someone did manage a fart powered engine then i am the man to fuel it....

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
I'd be happy to go for some kind of 'kit' that was guarenteed to give me 40+ hp and as reliable as she is now.

I see kits all over, bigger pistons etc etc but then, no facts or figures on what one can expect.

Thus fart power seems more achievable....I think the inlet in the middle of the seat, the oulet on the opposite side to the exhaust... I expect bursts of power and a happier wife :oops:

Eklipze3k

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
My dream would be to see one of the new TwinAir engines in a 126, as they're 2 cyl but that would involve a lot of ECU fiddling ...

triantis

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »
Sounds interesting.

Has anyone done a motorbike motor conversion? How does it all work with fitment? Is the transplant straight forward with the aid of custom mounts? What gearbox is used and can it handle the power?

gsxr126, What conversion are you doing? and how difficult do you think it will be? Cost?

gsxr126

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 04:36:07 AM »
Sam, Ive got three going atm. 2 with bike motors and one with a gti engine. I've done the most work on the busa engined niki but this project has been going since Aug08. I dont get the time to work on my projects these days.

I dont really like to impart advice on this subject as there are a million ways of doing it. I have a full picture and notes diary that i will post here once all done and then people can praise/knock it all they like.

What you need to remember is the intended use. If you want to have it "street registred" you'll need to follow the guidelines in your state. In NSW the max engine size allowable is 1360cc.

Cost is really up to your budget. I bought my two complete bikes as "unrepairable write offs" at the auctions (interesting experience that bidding), $3214.50 for the 08 model busa, and $3758 for the 10 model gsxr1000. The beauty of buying the bike complete is that you have all the bits. I paid $85 for the car. BMW diff complete was $150 - ebay, Rusty's caliper plates for the front $35 delivered (bargain of the century- I suggest you get some if he has any left), punto discs and calipers $200, $550 on a pair of coilovers, $85 on chrome moly tubing, probably about $3-400 on other bits and pieces and $0.00 for the labour which has been about 220 hours to date. Lots of to and froing has added to the hours. So given that the mechanicals should set you back about 5-7K

My 1000 engine is transverse mount, chain drive, turning an E36 BMW irs diff. The engine fits neatly, the diff required some fiddling but no mods to the chassis, then the rest was sorting linkages, electricals etc... How difficult it is depends on your skill & determination i suppose.

What i think is the main consideration is keeping the weight down/balanced, then suspension/brakes. A 240hp bike engined 126 is a scarily fast animal.

The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

triantis

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »
I know what you mean mate. I think time is my biggest concern. I would like to see photos of your current conversions and get an idea of the effort put into the custom mounts/brackets/fiddly parts. If there was a step by step guide available to doing the conversion I would actually consider it.

smallcox

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
gxsr126,

i will salute you for that little monster you are putting together, local guy to me tells me he has a motor bike engine coupled to a seirra gearbox? not seen it mysell but he told me it's very unbalanced.  I like your thinking keeping the cars handling balanced, after all big power will crap handling removes the fun unless you like ditches.

You must post some pictures i believe a lot off interest in this conversion

Sweet [-/
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
Depends so much on the type of bike engine as to the driveablity, I'd imagine a Busa engine would be awesome being as it is the fastest prodiction motorcycle of this year or last or last  :P

My 600 is frenetic, one must change gears to keep it in the power band all the time however the old XS11 will run from 30mph to over 100mph easily..in 5th Obviously is doesnt pull hard at 30 in 5th, more like a gentle push [-/

gsxr126

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »
Smallcox, thanks, when i first started research on the conversion popular thinking led me to inline mount, quaiffe diffs, sierra gearboxes, etc, etc, etc...... so i built my busa project sort of in this way. Chain drive diffs and "car" gearboxes wasnt the way i wanted to go as both my setups have an integrated gb and wet clutch setup.

The inline setup 1300 is chain drive to a bearing mounted shaft and being solid mounted does transfer some vibrations into the chassis, but it is not unbalanced in any way. Have taken this up to 200kmh+ and no unbalanced feeling.

The transverse setup 1000 is becoming my favourite as the appearance can be kept somewhat std looking (you dont have an engine sitting behind your ears) :oops: This is also chain drive to a flipped BMW E36 diff with modified suspension pickup points (ie: no mods to chassis). This also uses the bike gb and wet clutch setup, but its not at driving stage yet so i dont know how unbalanced or how much vibration i will get yet.

So i think in theory the "unbalanced" issue comes from mating components from different vehicles and the engineering involved. As for unreliabilty, the only issue i think i will have is that over time the gb may feel the strain of an extra 180kg :-

Bloody work getting in the way of me finishing these projects now. Just been appointed CFO and the last 3 months have been super hectic. I havent even looked at my projects since August. I will post photos of the project as soon as it complete (at least the mechanicals) which should be around Jan2011

Darrell, give me some power and nm specs on your 600 and XS and i'll give you performance specs (1/4 mile times) on both those engines in a 126 weighing 480kg. You got it in one with your last comment - its all about power/torque to weight [-/

The Good - White Niki all Std Daily Driver, The Bad - Black Niki GSXR1300 BMW diff & suspension, The Ugly - Red Niki quietly Rusting In Peace

Alfons1972

• sorry for my bad english...
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
here in germany there are a few Fiat500 and 126 with a Citroen Visa engine with about 34 HP. The Visa engine is a 2-cylinder air cooled boxer.

And, what is more funny, I know one 500 with a citroen GSA engine with about 68 HP. The GSA is similar to the Visa, but a 4cylinder boxer, air cooled... But be careful: It's quite a lot of work to be done!  ;)

have a look:
http://picasaweb.google.com/RomanGreisl/Fiat500GSMotor#
Fiat 500 R
Fiat 500 giardiniera

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
here in germany there are a few Fiat500 and 126 with a Citroen Visa engine with about 34 HP. The Visa engine is a 2-cylinder air cooled boxer.

And, what is more funny, I know one 500 with a citroen GSA engine with about 68 HP. The GSA is similar to the Visa, but a 4cylinder boxer, air cooled... But be careful: It's quite a lot of work to be done!  ;)

have a look:
http://picasaweb.google.com/RomanGreisl/Fiat500GSMotor#

Love that  [-/ [-/ [-/
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

smallcox

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
Ok,

So I spent some time today clearing the garage just to make some room for when the engine is taken out.
I'll post some pictures once the engine is on the bench, as this will be a budget overhaul but also try to push the boundries off 2 cyclinder power. [-/

air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
Alfons1972 how thick is the addapter plate for the visa and the gsa engines?

Ralph