Author Topic: And So It Begins :-)  (Read 7813 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: And So It Begins :-)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »
All has been going well and enjoying being able to accelerate up hills then gave the little beast a good thrashing on Sunday on a 30 mile run. Then had a bit of the old dodgey tickover at lights over etc , died on me once. Also a couple of times recently the engine has been reluctant to start , possibly fuel but not sure yet. So gave it a pull today and started fine then as the engine was getting warmed up there were times when the tickover got very poor.  :oops:
That is one thing but as I was leaning on the back of the car I could feel hot air blowing onto my arm and realised that hot air was blowing back through the air intake above the engine cover . Still no thermostat housing fitted yet so put my hand down there and lots of very much hotter air blowing past the head & cylinders. So I would be interested to know if other "Aircoolers" are experiencing anything like this  ???

smallcox

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
Hi Rusty,

There you go again talking hot air, and sticking your hand down there. :oops:

Is it just radial heat lerking about the engine bay because your not moving?
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »
I'd agree with Steve, however the 500 draws it's air from a vent just aboved the engine lid, hence Rusty must be refering to this vent, the same would be true is a 126 was pushing hot air out the side vents.

That's an odd one if I got that right :oops:

I'd expect airflow into the engine not to allow any hot air to flow back?
I wonder...pull the big hose off the tinware and check you fan is still ok maybe :-X
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »
I can tell you that there is plenty of air blowing past & cooling the engine but there is also hot air blowing back up out of the vents that Darrell mentions. I do not think that I took a picture of the plastic fan before I put it in but it is similar to the alloy ones but with more vanes. So It does not have the outer plate opposite the main mounting plate. Could it be that this plate on a standard fan acts as a baffle to prevent this blowback  ???