Author Topic: And So It Begins :-)  (Read 7817 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: And So It Begins :-)
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Yes that is interesting as I guess those extended vanes would scoop more air. I share Darrells frustration as I had very little warning , especially as I was paying particular attention to the engine after the rebuild. I should have paid more attention to Freddie Mercury " Scaramouche , Scaramouche did you hear the damn fan go !"  :oops: :oops:
Any way I was quite worried about the missing blades , Mick reckoned they might have been trapped in that little section between the fan housing & the sump cooling channels. That was not the case but there is a chamber in the sump entry. I picked out the missing 7 bent blades & a spark plug that looks like it has been in there for 20 years or so  ;D

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
Work-wise I am in irrigation, and with water pumps the wider the gap in the impellor the more water will flow, the wider the impellor the higher the pressure. The theory would is the same for air.
A closed impellor is more efficient than an open one and the smoother the surfaces within an impellor the more efficiently the water/air will move through the impellor.
Remember that the power sapped from the engine will also be affected by the wider impellor.

The eye of the impellor should be as close as the tollerance can be as air will simply re-circulate into the eye, out the vanes and back into the eye.

I have often wondered what the point of the alloy fans is as they cannot be better than the closed tim ones. I guess they don't fall apart. They will draw the same power from the engine as a closed one.

By my thinking, the plastic fan would be an ideal as it would have smoother surfaces. Longer vanes would also be beneficial. The belt I have long suspected to be a floor as there is only so much tension one can put in it before bearings in the altenator quit. I see there is a toothed belt available...at a price which I see as an ideal as it cannot slip even with relatively small amounts of tension. By toothed i mean tothed like a timing belt.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »
Sory t hear about the engine,
I'm only down the road if you need any parts, or a spare hand.
Rust does not discriminate

Alfons1972

• sorry for my bad english...
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 06:41:26 AM »
yes, Darrell,

there are those toothed belts. They are installed primarly because they need less power because of less rotation speed of the fan and therefore less resistance. And because of less tension, of course.
The consequence is less cooling, too. And you probably will need an oil-cooler...
Fiat 500 R
Fiat 500 giardiniera

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »
How can there be less cooling with the toothed belt? It cannot slip, diameters are the same, surely more cooling?

Alfons1972

• sorry for my bad english...
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 07:23:50 AM »
ok, Darell, I just looked for those kits. I thought of those kits with the same diameter...

there are different types:
- with the same diameter  http://www.500forum.de/wbboard/attachments/00000002863__4381__DSC05645-border.jpg
- with different diamteters http://www.500forum.de/wbboard/attachments/00000001516__8602__DSCI0759.JPG

so we both are right...   ;)
Fiat 500 R
Fiat 500 giardiniera

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
The engine fired up today , still a few bits to do & yet to roadtest but such a relief that the major expensive bits seem unharmed  ::)
Decided that the best option was to fit the HD plastic fan & yes it is slightly lighter than a standard at 620 gms as opposed to 680. This episode has taught me a few things. The very brief noise I heard when the engine was at max revs in 3rd gear must have been the moment when the fan "let go" . Probally less than one second , not too loud but the results quite scary with bent & buckled metal & two vanes had pierced the upper steel housing.  :oops:
Also they are not called air cooled for no reason because without that fan you do net get too far.
To be continued ........ low battery warning  :P

bis13

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
good to hear that the costly bits have made it through unscathed!

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »
crackin news!!!
Rust does not discriminate

Jan-in-UK

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »
Yes, CRACKIN :)
Such a thing as Fiat 126p will never happen again to this planet... Love it.
www.fsoclub.co.uk

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
Glad to hear all is OK

Ralph

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
Cheers Guys  [-/ First indicators are good as I have been out on a couple of "missions" this morning and all seemed to run quite sweet. So first lesson is that if you are tuning an aircooled engine then an uprated fan or a rev limiter might need to be part of the package. Also you need to check that the cooling air intake is clear & jumbo hose properly fitted. Also on my high mileage engine there was heaps of crud inside the cooling fan housing and I have not checked yet but I am wondering if the cooling ducts along the base of the sump are clear. Most of the air cooled cars I have run without the grommet type cover that goes over the top of the spark plug recess. But on start up yesterday I was aware of the terrific flow of air comming up that wat instead of being blown across the head so got those fitted pdq  ;D
Should make Uxbidge show on Sunday  </1

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Just a question on fans. I checked the two spare fans that I have and they are slightly different, the vanes on one of the fans are longer. So the question is are there different versions of fans for 126's?

I remembered Chris's question as I spent well over an hour trawling through every known web site trying to see if the high density plastic fan I am now using is still available anywhere. No luck but I think that it was on the Axel Gerst site that 3 fans are shown , Standard , Alloy & a Superior Fan that had those extended vanes, said to be balenced and about twice the price of the Standard.
While I was thinking about it I just checked the fan belt drive on my car & the engine pulley is about 6" diameter & about 4" at the dynamo so by my reconning if you hit 6,000 rpm then you are going to be pushing that dynamo & fan at about 9,000 rpm  :oops:
Smallcox told me he has tried a very short run with the fan belt off & noticed a major increase in power. Might be alright for a standing quarter mile but do not try it out around town  ;)

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »
I have seen a number of performance engines with a 1 to 1 ratio running the fan eg. same size pulley on both pulleys but with a toothed belt. Makes sense as the fan would run slower.

smallcox

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
Now Rusty,

You know that in the good old days dynamo's where not designed to run at high speeds, 9000rpm bad boy

Smallcox
air cooled, gt15 garret turbo with intercooler, 14x9" wheels with 225/40/14 toyos, front arb and disc brakes