Author Topic: Aircooled runs and then dies ?  (Read 3913 times)

desyboy

Aircooled runs and then dies ?
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:47:17 PM »
Guys.... help

My aircooled 126 has a problem. It was running lovely, I was happily driving around the Dedham Vale but now I have a problem getting it going. It starts but then dies... I’ve disconnected the carb , the fuel pump is working , the filter on the pipe between pump and carb is clean, the filter in the carb is clean. The very amazing Rusty (very clever indeed) had a quick look at the carb whilst I was seeking his advice on something else, altered the float position, changed a little o ring and made sure some channels clear. I refitted with fuel in the float tank but the same happens ?? Now I’m going to have to bring it to the garage and my dream was to be a master mechanic!!!! Has anyone experienced similar? Once it goes , I pump it to keep it going , sometimes it roars away whilst I’m doing that , other times it splutters and dies... feels like dual starvation but what could it be ??? Come on clever people ... ideas ?

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Aircooled runs and then dies ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
Is the fuel filter fitted before the fuel pump or after it?
Every cloud has one...

desyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
It’s fitted after ... between pump and carb inlet

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
If it was fitted before the pump it should stop any debris coming up from the petrol tank getting into the pump. Give the pump a good clean and try changing the filter around. I'm no expert but had a similar problem and diagnosis on one of my cars.
Every cloud has one...

desyboy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
umm.... OK , I see what you are saying but whether crap does or doesn't get to pump it shouldn't get to carb with filter where I have it and I know fuel is getting through........I appreciate your advice , so I'll try what you suggest.

cheers

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »
Good luck, what you say makes sense but the chaps who looked at mine noticed a difference in behaviour when the engine started to warm up i.e. fuel got through when it was first started up but as the engine got warmer it did not and also a difference between fuel flowing when the car was moving but not flowing as easily when the car slowed down or stopped e.g. at a junction. Like I say, I'm not an expert but hopefully worth a try and eliminating even if it proves not to be the cause.  :thumbup
Every cloud has one...

Xylaquin

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »
does applying the choke help?

have you tried adjusting the idle and/or mixture screws?

midvillesb

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
Does the problem occur only when the engine is hot?  Could be an ignition problem (dodgy condenser or coil) or the engine could be overheating.  I’ve had the same problem twice before.  First time was the condenser (I’d changed it for a new one during a service, thankfully I’d kept the old one which is still on the car 5 years later!).  The second time was last year after my friendly MOT tester had weakened the mixture to get the emissions through the test.  I forgot to retune it and it was overheating and cutting out as a result.  A quick fiddle with the mixture on the way to Brands Hatch last year cured the problem...

drcdb15

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »
In the OP the phrase is used "dual starvation". I presume this is a typo for "fuel" starvation, but actually "dual" is worth remembering, because these symptoms *could* be caused by AIR starvation - have you looked at the air filter to make sure it's not choked up? Try running with it removed, see if the symptoms go away...

desyboy

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »
Thanks all and hi Mike ... cheers for wheels. Yes typo, fuel not dual and I’ve tried it without air filter so it’s not that. I have been busy on the idle and mixture screws but having read Haynes I see a reference to the “slow running jet” screw, so I have removed and blown very hard in the hole..I’ll try in morning !!

Cheers

Des

desyboy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:47:50 PM »
And it doesn’t get a chance to get warm... lasts a while if I pump but dies pretty quickly if I stop... am I talking about my car !!

1973/126

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
 I would try couple things. Make sure the carb base is flat and seated properly. People tend to over tighten them and they get warped.
 Sounds like it is drawing in air somewhere at the base.
 You can try this with spraying a bit of easy start at the base of the carb when it is running and see if the revs increase.
 Make sure the gaskets are in place and good condition.
 The next thing would be the mixture as suggested. The mixture screw should be turned out about one and a half to two turns.
 Let us know how you get on.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:58:20 PM by 1973/126 »
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

126blackbird

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
Sorry to see your having problems with your aircooled, it sound like a petrol problem to me. How is the Bis coming along.

desyboy

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
Hi Graham

The BIS is more or less ready but I’m not rushing the garage because they are storing it for me whilst try tinker with it...that suits me at the moment due to lack of space.
The only things remaining are checking the reversing switch and wiring... it was unplugged and dangling which was was odd, the rear lights are playing up a little because of a slightly corroded board and horn needs sorting... That’s about it. I’ve put the alloys on it... the bigger tyres fit , so I’ll pop that wheel back to you. I’ve spent a bit too much in it and it still needs painting the front end... I’m on look out for good value sprayer.
Hope you are well. Catch up soon.
Des

desyboy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
All

The problem is solved ..... a clever chap suggested that the diaphragm in fuel pump might be faulty so changed that but no joy....clever chap number 2 had a look and bingo.... the float had tiny splits in it and it was letting in fuel..so it became a stone rather than a float! New float fitted with distances as stated in Haynes and it runs lovely....thanks all for your advice and thanks to fantastic Rusty for your practical help on this and my other 126 gearbox over last couple of weeks.

All best

Des